No announcement yet.

Clipper MacSport 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK..Thanks. I looked at the 5hp 4 strokes and found the 6's are the same weight for just a bit more money. So might buy a 6. However I am not that impressed with the new tech. The old twin two strokes in a 8 or 9.9 would weigh about the same and run way smoother with better torque for getting upstream. I think when you could make make faster head way upstream into a good current you might not even burn that much more gas to do so. I'll look a little more to see if I can find an older motor in good condition.

Comment

My Clipper is rated for 5 HP max. Where I'm from you can get fined for running a bigger outboard than the boat's rated for. Also if your in an accident, I don't know if your insurance would cover you.

Comment

Originally posted by North61 View Post
        OK..Thanks. I looked at the 5hp 4 strokes and found the 6's are the same weight for just a bit more money. So might buy a 6. However I am not that impressed with the new tech. The old twin two strokes in a 8 or 9.9 would weigh about the same and run way smoother with better torque for getting upstream. I think when you could make make faster head way upstream into a good current you might not even burn that much more gas to do so. I'll look a little more to see if I can find an older motor in good condition.
        IMO you're going the right direction. I'll keep watch for one over here also.

Comment

Originally posted by VernAK View Post
          IMO you're going the right direction. I'll keep watch for one over here also.
          Thanks, Mate!

Comment

Originally posted by lucescoflathead View Post
            My Clipper is rated for 5 HP max. Where I'm from you can get fined for running a bigger outboard than the boat's rated for. Also if your in an accident, I don't know if your insurance would cover you.
            In the Yukon we pretty much roll to a different drummer! A bit like our Alaskan cousins....

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ still the Wild Wild West .....lol

Comment

GA Checkpoint in Vancouver always seems to have used OBS, like this
                https://gacheckpoint.com/products/2003-johnson-8-hp
                Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

Did you pick it up here locally? Did Scott bring it in for you ?

Comment

It was in stock so I saved a bit. Really impressive boat. I'll run it with my 2.5HP Suzuki and hope a nice twin two stroke comes my way. The 2.5 will be fine on lakes and sluggish rivers.

Comment

great looking canoe, looks similar in size to the esquiff cargo canoe, but has a substantially larger payload capacity. I wonder if that's due to fiberglass verses royalex component

Comment

It's a little longer very deep and has a lot of middle.

Comment

Is that clipper as easy to get into vs the HB ?

Comment

Well it's not nearly as big as the HB, so it will be much more tippy and will require some skill and care to stay out of trouble.

Comment

Ended up picking up a Suzuki 6HP on sale (a 2018). They were selling out of last years model so I bought one before they are all gone. Rigging up a tiller extension today and then I'll test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by North61 View Post
                                Ended up picking up a Suzuki 6HP on sale (a 2018). They were selling out of last years model so I bought one before they are all gone. Rigging up a tiller extension today and then I'll test it out.
                                Ice out yet ?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X