Yukon Territory doesn't mess around

littleman81

Reaction score
I'm glad to see this. When I grew up there in the 80s and 90s, this stuff happened and seldom did they get caught or prosecuted. I even recall a guide bragging that he was stoked his client didn't want the cape on a moose...used a chain saw to remove the antlers and cut out the backstraps, left the rest in the swamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Dill

Reaction score
I believe in harsh punishment for wanton lawbreakers who deliberately violate sensible hunting laws. I am especially unsympathetic to those who do it solely for their egos, and for the collection of trophies and/or treasure. It's very clear that both men deliberately ignored laws and only acted out of greed. Putting the guide/outfitter out of business is perfect, and so is preventing the hunt...I mean poacher...from legally hunting for a good long time. Yes...I agree that lawlessness should produce pain to the offenders.

For what it's worth: I believe in reciprocity between states and countries when it comes to enforcement and punishment. If you get a DUI in Texas (and lose your license) you can't run to Oklahoma and get one in order to keep driving. We could use a data base of known current poachers and game law violators (like these) which would be used to prevent them from hopping borders in order to continue hunt...darn it...poaching somewhere different. Busted in Alaska for poaching or serious violating should mean no hunting there and no hunting in the Yukon, Maine, California or Florida for the same period. Over and out.

the nikster

Reaction score
I like the stiff penalties. Wanton and willfully breaking the law should be dealt with severely.
i am not so sure I like the idea of international reciprocity. In many states, if you do not pay child support, you lose your hunting rights in all 42 reciprocating states. I am alright with that. But what if some other country decides that smoking a joint for medicinal reasons is cause to have your hunting rights suspended? I do not like the idea of other countries laws dictating what Americans can do in America.

Sleddog

Reaction score
Not sure why the guide and hunter were not band from hunting/guiding for life in the Yukon

4merguide

Reaction score
One day Alaska will lay down the law like this

Over the 30+ years I've been here, believe it or not I've seen AK give out some pretty stiff fines for game violations too. I know it doesn't seem to happen very often, but some have been some pretty extensive sting operations that have taken months if not years to complete. Those punishments were pretty severe.......