Willow & Montana Creek Conditions?

trouting_thomas

Reaction score
A friend and I are planning on floating either Willow from Shirley Town to Deception Ck or Montana Creek from Yoder to Sunshine in one man rafts. Has anyone floated either section recently? I would like to avoid a bunch of portaging.

Thanks for your help.

tt

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
A friend and I are planning on floating either Willow from Shirley Town to Deception Ck or Montana Creek from Yoder to Sunshine in one man rafts. Has anyone floated either section recently? I would like to avoid a bunch of portaging.

Thanks for your help.

tt

I haven't floated either of them recently, but I have floated both of the sections you are referring to and all I can say is you will more than likely have some portaging, but probably not too bad. Especially in a one-man cat. Be careful on Willow. There is a lot of crap (nails, plywood, broken glass etc. from the flood a couple years ago) in the upper river to watch out for.

KMac

Reaction score

CTobias

Reaction score
Don't bother. Hardly any fish up that high anymore. Seems like all of the salmon dropped early and the trout followed suit.

Blackdog

Reaction score
Lots of bows on beads from highway down last weekend. Silvers were tough though.

MTfisher

Reaction score
I concur with CToBias, salmon ran early up the river, dropped, and are in the dying mode. Trout would likely be down at the mouth for flesh.

trouting_thomas

Reaction score
Thanks for the spot on advice. We floated before seeing the comments on the fish having already dropped low in the stream. Still had a good time and caught a few on the Willow float below Deneki.

AKFly7

Reaction score
Any updates? I am heading up that way and was hoping the river was in decent shape. Going to bring both beads and flesh.

DannerAK

Reaction score
It blew up today. Nearly tripled in volume. Can't say what it looks like but be prepared for higher water and dirty conditions for a few days. More rain in the forecast.

Dan

Reaction score
Did not fish Willow or Montana; fished a little north of that and watched the river we were on rise as we were fishing it yesterday.
Dan

AKBEE

Reaction score
Water levels are falling fast. Fished/floated Little Willow today and wife and I caught 26 rainbows and 1 grayling- nothing big but a beautiful day!