Willow Creek/Montana Creek float

alaska13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, in the next couple weeks, some friends and I are going camping around Talkeetna and we are looking to fish for some rainbows as well. We have a 14' NRS and I was wondering if this would be fine for either of these creeks? For Willow we were going to do either Shirley Bridge to the Parks or the Parks to the Su takeout. For Montana, it would be Yoder bridge to the parks although I'm not sure if the 14' would be too big for that water. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Birdstrike

Reaction score
I’ve run my 15’ NRS Otter on both sections of the Willow you mention. Sorry I do not have experience on Montana Creek. The Willow always has potential for wood (strainers) around every corner. Just go slow and when in doubt stop and scout…and fish while you are at it. The section below the highway is easier. Search this forum for the section above the highway. I thought I chose the correct channel last time and was proven wrong. It was work to get my boat over a couple of logs but I finally managed solo. The campground on the north side of the Willow at the Hwy used to offer a shuttle. It’s worth a call if you do t want to take 2 vehicles.

The Little Willow is another option. It’s on my radar but I have not floated it yet.

alaska13

Reaction score
I’ve run my 15’ NRS Otter on both sections of the Willow you mention. Sorry I do not have experience on Montana Creek. The Willow always has potential for wood (strainers) around every corner. Just go slow and when in doubt stop and scout…and fish while you are at it. The section below the highway is easier. Search this forum for the section above the highway. I thought I chose the correct channel last time and was proven wrong. It was work to get my boat over a couple of logs but I finally managed solo. The campground on the north side of the Willow at the Hwy used to offer a shuttle. It’s worth a call if you do t want to take 2 vehicles.

The Little Willow is another option. It’s on my radar but I have not floated it yet.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I called the campground and they do offer shuttles. I appreciate all the info

Sid

Reaction score
Little Willow ??? not much water, put in at the HWY. co slow as other people stated , come out at the big willow, FISH ?? all kinds of them , depends on the time of year ,
salmon runs , people run boats down all the time , down an up , as well .I have dun it for many wears with a 19 FT with 15 HP ,