Will the caribou be in rut?

TexasBoy

Reaction score
I am heading up from Fairbanks to the North Slope from 11-15 Sept. I am curious if the bulls should be in rut by then, and I should only take cows, or do you think I'm safe to take both cows and bulls. Thanks!

TexasBoy

Reaction score
Has anyone killed a bull during rut? Did you eat it, what did it taste like. I've only heard its inedible, but why/what's the taste?

Alaskanrocket

Reaction score
Has anyone killed a bull during rut? Did you eat it, what did it taste like. I've only heard its inedible, but why/what's the taste?

The drink the cows urine during the rut. That's part of the reason. So as far as taste goes, you make the call.

SkinnyD

Reaction score
If you like Texas-style brisket, you will probably have no issues eating rutty caribou. Now, compared to Memphis-style pulled pork....

MacGyver

Reaction score
The bigger the bull caribou the early it will be in full rut. If you're looking for good eating be very careful what you shoot after September 15.

polardds

Reaction score
Rutting caribou bulls have a very distinctive taste and smell. Some won't even feed it to their dogs. Some meat processors won't accept it. You know right away when you slice into the animal to process it. You should be able to tell some before you shoot the animal by neck size and disposition.

hodgeman

Reaction score
Rutty caribou is something like liver marinated in old urine.

Inedible.

But you're unlikely to find one in rut that early.

4merguide

Reaction score
I am heading up from Fairbanks to the North Slope from 11-15 Sept. I am curious if the bulls should be in rut by then, and I should only take cows, or do you think I'm safe to take both cows and bulls. Thanks!

I wouldn't try to eat a bull only during the first two weeks of Oct..

.338WM

Reaction score
I killed a bull caribou on the 13th of September, Mulchatna herd, it tasted terrible, so bad in fact, dogs would not eat it. Killed another on the 17th of Sept., Nelchina herd, tasted excellent. If you can, watch their behavior, if they seem calm and are feeding, shoot it. If it seems agitated, annoyed, very active, not feeding, leave it be and find another, or take a cow.

TexasBoy

Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone. Since we are on the topic of caribou hunting, how easy is the walk 5 miles in compared to going on the 1st of July when everything is under about 1 foot of water?

AKducks

Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone. Since we are on the topic of caribou hunting, how easy is the walk 5 miles in compared to going on the 1st of July when everything is under about 1 foot of water?

Never tried in July, but I know the ground is a lot nicer to walk on in the morning after a nice freeze! but a pain to walk on if there is an inch of snow.

bugs are gone by sept. which is nice too.

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo

I don't know that I would ever classify it as "easy", but perhaps it sucks a little less at certain times of the year. Walking in tundra and muskeg is walking in tundra and muskeg.

babyblue7

Reaction score
I was up there on a fly in hunt around 6th of Sept and the walking was tough ground was not frozen in anyway temps were average that year. So the 5 mile walk in pack out well it's gonna be hell put it that way. We took out 2 bou mile and half from camp and it kicked our buts getting them to camp couldn't imagine the 5 mile walk in honestly.

alaskabliss

Reaction score
Walking on tundra will make the best man cring over any distance no matter what time of year. You do have the benifit of no bugs in September and that makes it 500% better hiking.