Will smoked salmon last if mailed to the lower 48?

biglou001

Reaction score
I smoked a bunch of reds and vacuum sealed them. I'd like to send some down to friends and relatives in the lower 48, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have it shipped. Do you think the smoked salmon would make it ok if it took a week to get to someone down there? If so, what would be the best way to package it cheaply?

c6 batmobile

Reaction score
I smoked a bunch of reds and vacuum sealed them. I'd like to send some down to friends and relatives in the lower 48, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have it shipped. Do you think the smoked salmon would make it ok if it took a week to get to someone down there? If so, what would be the best way to package it cheaply?

There was a thread posted recently with this exact info in it. Some really specific info cant remember it all off the top of my head though.

Found the link.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/101518-Shipping-my-own-smoked-salmon

moose-head

Reaction score
I have had good luck getting it in good shape from Soldotna to Dubuque Iowa, and to Spokane Washington with insulation and dry ice. I did not know that you had to declare the dry ice to mail, ooops.

chumstik

Reaction score
your safest bet if you don't want to overnight it is is to get a hold of a pressure cooker and can it (actually "jar" it). then it won't matter how long it takes to get there. Although it will weigh more, at least you know it will be good when it gets there. It also tastes way better canned as it keeps the moisture ... just add a bit of jalapeno juice to the jars.

Snowwolfe

Reaction score
I been sending it to relatives for decades using priority air mail. Now I just pack a Flat Rate box full and send it. It has never gone bad.

Smoking is a form of preservation. Now, if you are lightly smoking it, without brining, then I would not send it.

Marcus

Reaction score
I been sending it to relatives for decades using priority air mail. Now I just pack a Flat Rate box full and send it. It has never gone bad.

Smoking is a form of preservation. . .

:ditto: . . same here . .

Stanly

Reaction score
Same here. I fill the Flat Rate box and off it goes. Never a problem...

skydiver

Reaction score
With the heat going on now in the Lower 48 (triple digits), would you not worry about it going bad (unless it's canned)? I know it's smoked, but still...

Marcus

Reaction score
With the heat going on now in the Lower 48 (triple digits), would you not worry about it going bad (unless it's canned)? I know it's smoked, but still...

We usually send ours down to friends in Texas at Christmas. Don't believe I'd do it now for the reason you mentioned above. Positively brutal heat down there at present.