Why Community Harvest ("slaughter") Permits must go!

Akres

Reaction score
True, I am reffering to the loop hole based on where they buy their food and fuel. Come on who in these communties honestly buys most if their gocercies at the one gas station in town, but since they live in that town who is going to agrue.

Me. But I have to admit, I have two gas stations to choose from. I buy gas at one and diesel from the other. That way I spread the luv. :)
Groceries are a bit more difficult to figure. Although I buy more groceries outside my community of residence and have to answer the question that way, I spend more money on groceries in my community of residence. So I am once again there being disenfranchised. :)
The "loop hole" is an economic factor, not one of residence. The state has a scale they use for determining the cost of living using the gas and food indexes for given communities throughout the state. ;)

Palmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Palmer
But the Supreme Court stated in the McDowell decision that the state cannot issue subsistence permits based only on where you live.

Then why are they allowed to award more points under the Tier II system based on where you live??

Because those who live closest to the resource get more points for that factor, but it is not the only factor considered and thus passes muster with the McDowell decision.

Palmer

Reaction score
I highly doubt the local gas station supplies most of these people who live in the communities mentioned.

In the case of the Glennallen/Hub area, there are grocery stores.

Akres

Reaction score
Because those who live closest to the resource get more points for that factor, but it is not the only factor considered and thus passes muster with the McDowell decision.

Palmer,
Again, NO points are awarded for your community of residence. ;)

Too many people confuse the point system and it skews their perception. :)

The points and scoring system are printed in the Tier II Hunt Supplement. ;)

gogoalie

Reaction score
One has to wonder...

One has to wonder...

why someone from the Kenai Penisula doesn't want to hunt the Killey River or other heards nearest them? How many Ahtna natives apply for Kenai Penisula heard hunts????

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
why someone from the Kenai Penisula doesn't want to hunt the Killey River or other heards nearest them? How many Ahtna natives apply for Kenai Penisula heard hunts????

Because the Kenai Peninsula hunts are somewhat tough to draw a tag for and are very tough to hunt without access to horses. They're great hunts, but it's not hard to understand why residents anywhere on the road system would like the ability to hunt the Nelchina herd.

Palmer

Reaction score
Palmer,
Again, NO points are awarded for your community of residence. ;)

I stand corrected. The points are scored on where you buy your fuel and groceries, so if you have your fuel delivered in bulk from Glennallen to Anchorage, you can score higher than those who buy their fuel from gas stations in the Anchorage area.

Is that accurate?

Matt

Reaction score
Comparing apples to oranges. The Fed Permit system is a whole nuthter debate and thread, if you want to go there. ;) They can't all hunt on state lands, how's that?

Sure, I guess. I'm just honestly curious how many caribou permits those people need with the Tier II system and the Fed hunt, you know? Plus, a very generous any-bull moose Tier II season as well as a fed hunt, too? C'mon.

Oh, one last thing. You a current Tier II Nelchina user, or was one?

Akres

Reaction score
I stand corrected. The points are scored on where you buy your fuel and groceries, so if you have your fuel delivered in bulk from Glennallen to Anchorage, you can score higher than those who buy their fuel from gas stations in the Anchorage area.

Is that accurate?

Yep. It would be a very expensive freezer full of meat. But it would help your odds, that's for sure.

Akres

Reaction score
Sure, I guess. I'm just honestly curious how many caribou permits those people need with the Tier II system and the Fed hunt, you know? Plus, a very generous any-bull moose Tier II season as well as a fed hunt, too? C'mon.

Oh, one last thing. You a current Tier II Nelchina user, or was one?

I have no idea how many caribou or moose any of "those people need". Besides, I think most hunt for their wants and not their needs. But then you and I would have to get into the age old debate of the spiritual world vs the real world. Some say their very soul depends on the ability to hunt a given location or species. Who am I to argue that? ;)Others say they need it to eat, because that is what they prefer. And yet others say they want it, to satisfy their desire to hunt and put meat on the table. Bottom line to me is that there are as many reasons as there are hunters. It's fractured and that is why the system is what it is.

Yes, I am a "Nelchina user". I'm addicted, been doing it too many years to stop now, especially Cold Turkey. :) I suppose you could say, my wants are as big as my needs.

gogoalie

Reaction score
& there's the crux of the whole bit...

& there's the crux of the whole bit...

"...and are very tough to hunt without access to horses."

hiline

Reaction score

You only get points for the time you have hunted the unit not live in it. The bulk of the points come from years you and other household members have eaten meat from the Tier II population, where you buy your food, and fuel.

50 points max. for number of years you've hunted or eaten meat from the population.

10 points max for number of years for one member of the household hunted or eaten meat from the population.

25 points max. for the number days you hunted that unit the last regulatory year

25 points max for where you bought the bulk of your food.

30 points max for cost of gas in your community.

Akres

Reaction score
"...and are very tough to hunt without access to horses."

Access equates to opportunity. No secret in that. Easy access makes it all the more attractive. Sorta like comparing the Russian River to the Coghill.
This is exactly why I and others are stumping for additional access throughout the state. ;)

Why can't the Ahtna Villagers hunt the Killey Herd? They are just as accessible to them as they are to the rest of us? Do the Nelchina caribou eat better? Bottom line, I think all of us would prefer to hunt in our back yard, given the opportunity.

Reaction score
You guys need friends in unit 23.

Caribou are spred out this year , all over the unit....everywhere....and in good shape.

Limited, though,to 5 a day on state lands, 15 on federal, open, of course, to all residents of the state, opens July 1st, closes June 30.

Get what you want or need, and have fun doing so.