which camo pattern?

limon32

Reaction score
So I can wear/use my gear doing other things outdoors without looking ridiculous. I wouldn't waste money buying gear only for hunting and other gear for other outdoor activities. Good quality gear is too expensive.

If we have to start worrying about looking ridiculous while being outdoors many of us are in big trouble. Starting with all the deckhands and commercial fisherman wearing orange or bright green rain gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If my camo isnt white, I'm likely am in the middle of "Bird season" and birds can certainly see color, although actually I use whiteouts on Ptarmigan and Spring Geese/ducks...... you still have to aware that even though most animals cant see colors, they can still pick you out by looks and movement.

Milsurp White covers are a light cheap carry along for days when it snows in AK :D I think some guys tool around in Tyvek ~~LOL!!~~

Great blend there Bigskyguy.

I think wearing Levi's is a disaster. I swear that every time I hunt with them as the top layer, animals spot me MUCHO further away. Just somethin' I picked up on long ago.

akgun&ammo

Reaction score
don't laugh at the Tyvek..

most throw-away sets are fairly cheap, and they work.

the semi-paper painters suits work well also.. just a one or possible two time use :)

And if you like, a quick touch of spray paint can add some gray, brown, or tan to break up outlines...

Chris

acg515

Reaction score
My dad shot most of his moose in blue jeans and a red shirt. He's gotten 30 of them over the years so it seems like it's been working for him.

Yukoner

Reaction score
My dad shot most of his moose in blue jeans and a red shirt. He's gotten 30 of them over the years so it seems like it's been working for him.
It's seems counter productive to be wearing camo while moose hunting in a boat, so really, for moose, just wear something comfortable.
jack O'Connor shot a pile of sheep without camo...... Camo does do one thing effectively, separate us from our cash. Having spent a bunch of time in. New Zealand, Kiwi hunters mostly wear lots of olive or tan. No camo. My moose garb tends to olive wool pants and olive Swazi jacket. Sheep? I just wear my hiking clothes, which tend to be tan.
Animals are very good at detecting predators, their lives depend on it and they have had millions of years to work on it. You move, they will see you. They will smell you before they see you, so in the end what you wear is way less (in my opinion, for what that's worth) important than your stalking skills.
So back to the original question, just buy your son some good Filson wool in Olive.

tlingitwarrior

Reaction score
It's seems counter productive to be wearing camo while moose hunting in a boat, so really, for moose, just wear something comfortable.
jack O'Connor shot a pile of sheep without camo...... Camo does do one thing effectively, separate us from our cash. Having spent a bunch of time in. New Zealand, Kiwi hunters mostly wear lots of olive or tan. No camo. My moose garb tends to olive wool pants and olive Swazi jacket. Sheep? I just wear my hiking clothes, which tend to be tan.
Animals are very good at detecting predators, their lives depend on it and they have had millions of years to work on it. You move, they will see you. They will smell you before they see you, so in the end what you wear is way less (in my opinion, for what that's worth) important than your stalking skills.
So back to the original question, just buy your son some good Filson wool in Olive.

Yeah my dad hunted Alaska for 50 years and shot everything you could imagine up here. He hunted in whatever he had on. That "argument" will always hold some water. But you know what, he wasn't that comfortable a lot of that time. Technology has brought us a long way with gear, ultra light weight this and that, stuff like KUIU that is breathable and waterproof. I am a more successful hunter than my father was. I can stay in the woods longer, hike longer and be safer because of all the improvements. Heaven knows my son will have the best gear I can afford, as I want him to be successful, but more than anything I want him to be safe.

Gulkana Rafting

Reaction score
I agree with you on the too dark issue. I try to pick a pattern that has lighter greens and some orange/red in it to blend into the tundra. I switched over to Sitka Gear (thanks honey) this year with a light gray, green military checker pattern. We will see.

Another issue along with the hat is when guys walk a ridge line or sit and glass on a bluff. Your outline makes you the easiest thing to see in the entire country! I alway stay 10 ish feet below the skyline on all ridges so I blend in as much as possible.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
Drop camps, Float Hunts
Unit 23-Kotzebue
907-259-4290

.338 mag.

Reaction score
Not convinced our Alaskan game cares what we wear. I wear camo mainly because of the type of material and style it comes in and it looks ok when dirty, if that matters. Some sort of green is usually covering my hide if not in camo. I am not comfortable with brown in areas that have lots of hunting pressure as moose look brown. So for me a mix of green in dark and light green colors is ok. I wish someone would do a real good scientific study again on an animals eye sight. If I was a sheep and goat hunter I would try to blend into my surroundings as much as possible. Same goes for bow hunting.

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
I wish someone would do a real good scientific study again on an animals eye sight. If I was a sheep and goat hunter I would try to blend into my surroundings as much as possible. Same goes for bow hunting.

Some have been done, but it may take some digging in the scientific literature to find it. A few years ago I spent a weekend with a National Geographic researcher working at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage who was doing work with brown bears and color determination. Basically, it had been previously established that black bears could see color, but the same work hadn't been done with grizzlies/browns. His initial evidence was that they could also see color, but his work wasn't done at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if some Ph.D candidate has done similar work on any number of other game animals over the years.

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
Sort of a blonde vs. brunette argument but curious nonetheless.

Redhead!

I'm glad someone started another camo thread. I wanted to start one but figured I'd better not.

So...I've decided to go with blaze orange camo as much as possible in the future. Not the solid orange but the orange with black camo patterns on it, such as Gamehide, A.G.O., or Cabela's Zonz Woodlands Blaze. It's been pretty well proven over the past decade or so that a.) the deer don't see orange the way we see it, and b.) the orange is credited with reducing hunting accidents. It has become pretty clear that the remainder of my hunting will be done on solo trips far from help, so I'm beginning to see the value in orange camo.

It seems to me that, because most animals see color differently, the pattern is more important than the color. So, it makes sense to me to wear a pattern that breaks up your outline, but I don't think it has to match the local coloring. That said, pink stands out against nature most of the time, but you won't see me wearing pink camo-even on Halloween.

One thing I'm not going to wear anymore are my black Carhartt pants and my black fleece-especially at the same time!