Where to shoot in Soldotna area?

Chez

Reaction score
I just moved to Soldotna and need a place to shoot. The local range (Snowshoe?) wont let me in until the beginning of the year. I found online a defensive shooting class that is held in Sterling but they have not returned my phone mssg after a few days??

Is anyone here a member of the snowshoe club and willing to let me tag along with them as a guest for some range time? I have a new rifle and handgun I wanted to sight in and I'll buy coffee.

Does anyone know of another range or public property I can safely shoot at?

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I won't be home until December 2nd.
But I will be going to the range sometime after that.
I have some .338 reloads to test and will likely hit the pistol range and black powder range as well.
Send me a pm and maybe we can work out a time.
If you need to get out sooner I'm sure somebody here can help you.
Or you can use the pits off of Marathon road.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kevin476

Reaction score
if it is Majority Arms then yes they are really hard to get ahold of, I believe they both work several jobs. With that said their place is just a gravel pit. Snowshoe is nice once the crowds die down. Id take you but I let my membership lapse this year and they cant seem to figure out how to prorate a membership.

I just moved to Soldotna and need a place to shoot. The local range (Snowshoe?) wont let me in until the beginning of the year. I found online a defensive shooting class that is held in Sterling but they have not returned my phone mssg after a few days??

Is anyone here a member of the snowshoe club and willing to let me tag along with them as a guest for some range time? I have a new rifle and handgun I wanted to sight in and I'll buy coffee.

Does anyone know of another range or public property I can safely shoot at?

Chez

Reaction score
if it is Majority Arms then yes they are really hard to get ahold of, I believe they both work several jobs. With that said their place is just a gravel pit. Snowshoe is nice once the crowds die down. Id take you but I let my membership lapse this year and they cant seem to figure out how to prorate a membership.

It was Majority Arms I was talking about. Heck, a gravel pit is better than nothing if they let me come out.

Chez

Reaction score
I won't be home until December 2nd.
But I will be going to the range sometime after that.
I have some .338 reloads to test and will likely hit the pistol range and black powder range as well.
Send me a pm and maybe we can work out a time.
If you need to get out sooner I'm sure somebody here can help you.
Or you can use the pits off of Marathon road.

Thanks, PM Sent

theultrarider

Reaction score
They were really cracking down on the use of the gravel pits out marathon. I would not suggest going out that way. Snowshoe is a nice range. But a real pain in the ass to deal with. Then again, they are pretty much the only game in town too.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I know they cleaned up the Marathon pits but I still know people who shoot there.
I'm a snowshoe member so have only driven by in the last few years.
I've never had a single issue with the snowshoe and have been a member for years.
I did my orientation when that rule came out and now do not have to retake that part every year.
At the snowshoe It's $150 a year for unlimited range use.
There constantly repairing and adding new stuff for all genres of shooting.
Overall I have zero complaints with the snowshoe.
I do feel they should offer prorated memberships for late season joiners.
But for all they offer the current rate is cheap.
How many ranges in this country offer a 1,000yd covered rifle range with a heated indoor shooting option(open a small door and shoot downrange)?
12 pistol bays 2 with shooting houses complete with woodstoves for winter shooting,a black powder only range,2 trap and 2 skeet ranges,and a smaller rifle range with 130yd and 230yd distances?
All is open year round 365 days a year.
There are occasional closures of an area for maintenance or competition but most times those are listed on their website.
And you can bring family or guests for free so long as your shooting on the same range together.
I guess 1 hour of orientation might be a pain for some people, that and the fee that equates to $12.50 a month.
But it is the best we got and better than most ranges I've heard/read about across the country.
Plus no waiting list to join like some ranges in the lower 48.
I don't know for sure but heard some of Anchorages ranges cost $20 per visit.
Overall I think the snowshoe is a very good deal on a good range.

I did go to the annual meeting last December and the board was open and honest with questions.
Discussed the planned 2016 improvements and repairs.
They had a printed budget they handed out copies of and they had an election of officers with any member eligible to run for the open seats.
I think they said 600+ members but less than 50 people at the annual meeting.
Snowshoegunclub.com

theultrarider

Reaction score
Biggest problem. Is trying to get in touch with them. And then setting an orientation. 3 years in a row I gave up trying and just shoot elsewhere. I've heard it's a nice facility for those that shoot often. But for those that don't it becomes more of a hassle than its worth to become one of them.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
Snowshoe is the only game in town. I am not crazy about some of the rules, but I guess they are needed. The $150.00 a year membership is a bit steep to me and I think it gives them lots of money. Like any place, the involved users get to make the rules. I think for the most part it is run by some pretty decent folks.

I have only had one guy point his rifle at me at the rifle range, that I know of. The pistol hand gun bays are plenty good, but they are a sand pit so wear decent foot gear. Lots of skeet/trap shooters.

For the most part the days of finding a gravel pit around town are gone. I used to shoot down Marathon in the early 80's. It all changed after the "access road" went in. Lots of slob shooters went out there and trashed the place with broken bottles, washers, dryers old cars, and trash every where, etc. Same thing happened years ago on the old Kinik Hwy. Why they couldn't hang a target or shoot cans and clean up after themselves is the age old question.

If you carry a hand gun on your person, whether concealed or open carry, and it is loaded it must remain in the holster and can't be used. No kidding, if that rule changed I am not aware of it.

If I go to the range I will shoot you a P.M. I go during the week about noon in the winter and dress warm! I avoid week ends and being retired lets me be selective on my time.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Biggest problem. Is trying to get in touch with them. And then setting an orientation. 3 years in a row I gave up trying and just shoot elsewhere. I've heard it's a nice facility for those that shoot often. But for those that don't it becomes more of a hassle than its worth to become one of them.
January through April orientation is every Wednesday night.
May through September is the first and third Wednesday's.
At 5:30 and 6:30 pm.
If your still working 2X2 on the slope that should be easy to make.
Takes an hour or so to do and only needs done once.
No need to schedule it the gate will be open just show up.
Bring cash or a check they don't take credit cards.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
For those wondering I'll describe the Snowshoe gun club range.
When you first drive in there are 2 trap ranges. They do organized trap shoots every Sunday.
Otherwise bring your own thrower or call to make arrangements.
I bring my own.
Then we have 2 brand new skeet ranges.
With the clubhouse behind that.
Then further down is the rifle range.
It has covered shooting benches with I think 8 or so stations outside and 4 inside with Plexiglas's sliding doors to shoot out of.
There is a woodstove inside as well for winter use.
This is a 1,000yd range with targets every 100 yds.
There are gongs at a few yardages but most have metal grader cutting blades sunk into the ground pallet width apart.
Staple your targets to the pallets.
Then further down there are 12 pistol bays from 30-60yds.
All have shooting benches.
2 have shooting houses with 5 doors that lock open to shoot out of.
They have shelves inside and woodstoves with firewood. It is recommended you bring your own wood so they don't run out.
Then past that is the black rifle range.
A small covered shooting bench and 130yds on one side and 230 yds on the other with a gong at 230.
Then the last section is the black powder section.
No modern weapons allowed here.
There is a gong at roughly 75 yds or so and lots of target stands.
There is a shooting bench there and they were working on roofing that last I was there.
Membership is $150 a year.
It's a family membership and you can bring guests who must shoot at the range your at and your responsible for your guests.
Not bad for $150 a year.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
January through April orientation is every Wednesday night.
May through September is the first and third Wednesday's.
At 5:30 and 6:30 pm.
If your still working 2X2 on the slope that should be easy to make.
Takes an hour or so to do and only needs done once.
No need to schedule it the gate will be open just show up.
Bring cash or a check they don't take credit cards.
Just checked and this year it is the first and third Wednesday's of the month.
Still not that hard to attend for most.
Gate will be open so just show up.
No need to schedule it.

AKDoug

Reaction score
It's good to hear they got their 1000yd range going. I guess we'll (Upper Susitna Shooters) will stop claiming to be the only one publicly available now :D I am going to have to come down and talk to some of the Snowshoe board. The way our insurance works we have to have an RSO on site any time anyone is shooting at USSA. This, of course, limits access during non open hours to only those that are RSO's. I'd love to have the option of allowing members to shoot whenever they want. It might very well grow our membership too.

The folks on the Kenai should be glad to have a range. It is not going to be easy in the future to get new ones built. It sounds like their range is like our range, if you want to change things show up and volunteer.

BTW.. just so folks know, USSA is closed for the winter, like every other winter. We'll reopen at the end of March.

Arcticwildman

Reaction score
I might make a run out to Snowshoe this coming weekend, you can tag along if you want. I'll send you a PM with my contact info if you want to go.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
It's good to hear they got their 1000yd range going. I guess we'll (Upper Susitna Shooters) will stop claiming to be the only one publicly available now :D I am going to have to come down and talk to some of the Snowshoe board. The way our insurance works we have to have an RSO on site any time anyone is shooting at USSA. This, of course, limits access during non open hours to only those that are RSO's. I'd love to have the option of allowing members to shoot whenever they want. It might very well grow our membership too.

The folks on the Kenai should be glad to have a range. It is not going to be easy in the future to get new ones built. It sounds like their range is like our range, if you want to change things show up and volunteer.

BTW.. just so folks know, USSA is closed for the winter, like every other winter. We'll reopen at the end of March.
Yes call Bob the president or one of the board members.
Bobs a great guy whom I used to work with on the slope before he retired.
We only have rso's when the range is real busy and then only at the main rifle range that I have seen.
Possibly other times but I don't do the weekly trap shoots or competitions etc.
They did have a guy get trained to train rso's so they could up the number of them available.
When the range is cold you flip a switch and rotating red beacons indicate a cold range for the main rifle range.
They had to buy an additional 76 acres from the borough to make the 1,000yard range happen. So your definitely not the only one.
The snowshoe is plowed and open year round.
December 3rd is the annual meeting with voting for open seats.
I believe January 4th is the first orientation for 2017.