What the Hoot

mfitzhugh

Reaction score
Anyone her anything lately about the Hoot? The web site said they would be out this fall but they have no dealers listed yet.

Water_Gremlin

Reaction score
LOL it looks like one of those 1940's snow machines, but with wheels.

Mike Echo

Reaction score
I'ld like to be able to try it out up at Boulder Creek..
Assuming they had a chopper on standby to haul out the carcass! :)
Mike

Alaskacanoe

Reaction score
Hoot will be available

Hoot will be available

in a few months,, which probably means next spring,
here is the response I got from the company.

Max

Thank you for your interest in the Hoot. We are just setting up production & it will be about 2 months before we will be setting up dealers or in a position to supply units. Will advise. Price will be about $8,000, all info on web site (no brochure) & will be able to supply in camouflage. Tracks & tires about $2,000.

Regards Doug

S. Douglas Neary
Neary Manufacturing Corp.
1010 Minas Crescent
New Minas, N.S.
Canada B4N 4G5

Ph: (902) 681-1823
Fax: (902) 681-1623
Web site: www.knoxoutdoorproducts.com
E-mail: [email protected]

Alaskacanoe

Reaction score
hoot in production

hoot in production

I got an email from the Manufactures of Hoot ATV.
They said they will have vehicles available in about 6 weeks.
the 6 wheel drive unit is priced at just under $8,000, and the camopainted version for a little more..
They are looking for dealers..
somebody hurry and get one so we can get an Alaska Review.
http://www.knoxoutdoorproducts.com/default.asp
Max

mannythehunter

Reaction score
hoot

hoot

I have a friend that has a pre-production model (built in 2002). He found it used on the daily news miner last summer here in Fairbanks. Overal we wearn't happy with it. Yes it floats great.. works extremly well in muskeg/mud, but reliabilty killed it!! The drive belts didn't hold up, in the matter of driving it 30 mins the belts would heat up (stretch) and squeel.. and no matter how much adjusting you did to the belt, it didn't hold up... Also the reverse drive gear would eat it's self in about a day.

AKDSLDOG

Reaction score
2 Alaskan Dealers...

2 Alaskan Dealers...

One in Fairbanks and one in Anchorage.... Both have ordered 2 machines, my coworker bought the first one in Anch and the dealer will keep the other. Fairbank's has sold one and the dealer will keep the other. My coworkers should be in at the end of this month. I will keep you posted and give you my .02 when I get the chance to play with it.

AKDSLDOG

Reaction score
Anything new with these?

Seem's to be one of those "bigfoot deals", lol.... They have made some changes on the design and have not shipped to dealers yet. Buddy at work is wondering if he will ever see the thing and is in the process of backing out of the deal due to a lack of promises, promises. Have to wait and see! :(

kgrant

Reaction score
Would be neat to ride one. Hope they come through.

I'm looking at AATVs but I don't want one as wide as an Argo or Max.

Thanks

mannythehunter

Reaction score
Hoot

Hoot

Here's some hoot photo's in action.. again liked that it was small(er), but reliability kills it, but this was a 2002, hopefully they have fixed it's flaws
P9100035.jpg

P9100035.jpg
P9100041-1.jpg

P9100041-1.jpg

kgrant

Reaction score
Sucks that the belts slip.

Does it happen when trying to go slow and crawl, or does it happen when going fast too?

I have read their description on how the drive system works, and still can't picture it.

Cheers

mannythehunter

Reaction score
Hoot

Hoot

I'll dig through my pictures and see if I can find one of the inside.. if not I'll have my friend take one.. The best way I can describe it is off the motor is a CVT belt drive (snow machine clutch as some say) to a trans axle. This runs across the front (from side to side) off this there's a 2 rotertiller style clutch for each side, off that it's chain driven down to the wheels.
We had no problems with the CVT belt (funny I have always hated CVTs too) but the belts (there's one for each side.. these are off the rotertiller forward side) that wraps off the trans axle junk.. also the reverse gear that sits just to the side of the belt would eat itself too. (usually within a day of use)

I'll draw a picture up tonight/ tomorrow of how it's set up.. The idea really is simple (awesome in that sense) but the thing just didn't like to stay together.

mannythehunter

Reaction score
Hoot

Hoot

Ok, here is some diagrams stayed up a little bit late putting it together, might have to read it in the morning to see if it really makes any sense!!

Hootpg1.jpg

hootpg2.jpg

kgrant

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for taking the time on that.

Makes perfect sense now.

I wonder if they have changed anything since that system?