What really goes on in a Shimp pot

polardds

Reaction score
Bear with me. Here is a you tube link to an underwater video of a couple weeks ago of one of my shrimp pots I dropped in Prince William Sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0LdeBeYLU&feature=youtu.be

At around 6:50 you can see a tanner crab moving by
At around 8:20 you can see how a shrimp enters your pot

I am working on the lighting for the next video and there is a secondary light off to the right that is not as bright. Seems some shrimp like the light, some do not. Also how much other action there is.

Garyak

Reaction score
That's pretty cool...I'll be watching for your future videos. Thanks for posting!!

bkmail

Reaction score
Awesome video....something many of us have been wanting to see.
Look forward to your next video.

Amazing how much action there is, especially the lil stuff cruising around. Sure doesn't take long for them to accumulate in the pot.
Soooo, how deep is this and what kind of camera?
BK

polardds

Reaction score
Around 350'. It is a GoPro with a special housing from Group B Inc. Hardest part was finding a light that can supposedly go that deep. Using Ladner pots from Donalson's.

Stanly

Reaction score
Wow, really cool. It would be neat to see a little wider field of view, something that shows the entire pot. Don't know if that camera has that capability but it would sure be cool to have the whole pot illuminated. Really look forward to your next one. Thanks!

alaskabliss

Reaction score
Sweet video. There are some youtube videos down south that shouw shrimp and crab pots. Lot shallower water and very light so you can see stuff that goes by the pot. There is even a seal that pops in to check things out.

Kisutch

Reaction score
Cool vid, thanks for sharing.
Why do you use that kind of bait jar? Seems like the kind with lots of holes would do better.

potbuilder

Reaction score
Bear with me. Here is a you tube link to an underwater video of a couple weeks ago of one of my shrimp pots I dropped in Prince William Sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0LdeBeYLU&feature=youtu.be

At around 6:50 you can see a tanner crab moving by
At around 8:20 you can see how a shrimp enters your pot

I am working on the lighting for the next video and there is a secondary light off to the right that is not as bright. Seems some shrimp like the light, some do not. Also how much other action there is.

Bring your camera and lights over and i'll build you a pot to go around them !! All i want is copies of the vids !!

alaskabliss

Reaction score
Cool vid, thanks for sharing.
Why do you use that kind of bait jar? Seems like the kind with lots of holes would do better.

Sand fleas is a big reason for smaller holes. They will empty your can quick with large holes

polardds

Reaction score
Going to try again this weekend for some more video. Here is a link to another one on You Tube. This was the first try. The light went out but it show you how long it takes to get to the bottom and how soon Shrimp get in. Turn your volume up to hear it hit the bottom at 6:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiBerWe49Y

potbuilder

Reaction score
Going to try again this weekend for some more video. Here is a link to another one on You Tube. This was the first try. The light went out but it show you how long it takes to get to the bottom and how soon Shrimp get in. Turn your volume up to hear it hit the bottom at 6:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiBerWe49Y

does the vid go black at about 7:00 ??

Garyak

Reaction score
Polardds, I don't know if these lights would be intense enough to be of benefit, but then, you are lighting a fairly small area. They're built to go deep.
Fhdb5_xDIjoeQ9hI3dkSFLREoL6-F4r0iAj19_t7YQ=w270-h216-p-no

polardds

Reaction score
I am going to try a few different things this weekend. See what works best. Will let you all know!

JR2

Reaction score
Bring your camera and lights over and i'll build you a pot to go around them !! All i want is copies of the vids !!

You should take him up on his offer Polardds. Could probably build one that was domed on top and the right height to get the field of view of the whole pot. Then hang a bunch of lights in it and watch the action.

I am looking up group B right now... I so want to drop my go pro in a pot as well...... well after looking at them, I will leave the shrimp videos to you.. $300 for the housing on sale is a bit much for me.