what one gun, do you regret most for getting rid of?

LeonardC

Reaction score
I've got 4 in the "given to family" list. My Grandmother's .222 went to one of my cousin's youngest son. My Father's M70 went to my Daughter along with a 20g shotgun that put "lots" of birds on our table when I was growing up. And his unfired Remington 600 .308 went to my Grandson. I'm sure all those folks know how special those guns were to the owners and to me as the "caretaker".

No regrets on these.

Fin Chaser

Reaction score
My mom's Anschultz target rifle she used as a champion competitive shooter in the early and mid 60's. A serious financial situation forced the sale many years ago. Though my mom would have not care and said "its just a hunk of metal", I would give almost anything to get it back. It was the right decision at the time but I would happily pay many times what I got for it today.

AKBEE

Reaction score
I forgot to list my favorite rifle- a Ruger 77 International 30-06 that was a joy to carry!

BluNosDav

Reaction score
I've sold or traded away quite a few firearms over the years. Usually, because the gun-of-that-moment wasn't as accurate, or as reliable, as it was supposed to be. And not being wealthy enough to keep buying more, I'd get rid of it, in order to acquire something else. I still have enough "keepers" to get by though.

But, there was ONE rifle that didn't have anything wrong with it. It had extra fancy walnut and was perfectly spec'd out, just for me. It was a Shiloh 1874 Sharps in .45-110 caliber. I had just taken a trip to Austrailia and ordered it right after the movie "Quigley Down Under" came out. There was also a 3-year back-log for the build & delivery. In the ensueing 3 years . . . I met this girl . . . and by the time my custom Buffalo Gun arrived, we were engaged. Now, ya gotta have some money saved up to start an adult life, which I didn't have, and there were a bunch of guys who were willing to pay a nice premium to avoid a long wait for a Sharps rifle. So, without ever firing a single shot, off it went for a pile of cash.

Still have that girl though, so, she's my "keeper". Upon further reflection, I guess I don't have any regrets after all.

Thebear_78

Reaction score
I have two rifles that I regrett selling. Ironically both were sold on this forums classifieds. I had to sell quite a few rifles to pay for the doctor bills when my daughter was born 7 years ago.

The first rifle was a winchester classic stainless custom in 458 lott. This was a fantastic rifle that I would love to have back again, hint, hint Dabigmoose. it shot great and was about ideally set up for alaskas biggist game.

The second was an ultra light m70 classic custom in 375 H&H that Extreme rifle works put together for me. With its handy 20” barrel and 6 pound 4 ounce wieght it was an ideal rifle to carry around the hills.

Oh well, guess it was worth it! I got a daughter out of the deal, might have to amend that desicion once she hits her teens.

AKBman

Reaction score
A Ruger Superhawk in 454 Casull. While not quite as accurate as my Freedom Arms 454, I'd hate to have to live on the difference. I swapped it for a Springfield Armory 1911, wish I could get that one back.

rbuck351

Reaction score
A Browning 78 in 6mmRem. A friend kept bugging me and offering me 2 1/2 times what I paid for it and for some stupid reason I sold it to him. Now it's worth twice what I got for it and it's is the prettiest rifle I have ever owned.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
Long ago I heard a guy I knew was selling his beautiful Dakota 76 in .358 Win. I called him and he wanted $600.00 for it so I bought it. A few months later he called and asked if he could have it back for the same amount and said he would not sell it again, so I sold it back. With in a few months he traded it in to that Anchorage gun shop and got a used Mod. 65 S&W revolver for it. What was I thinking. Crap. Crap and Crap.

4merguide

Reaction score
An old Savage 22/410 over/under. It was the gun that my Dad bought for my mother when he thought they would start hunting together.

But my main regret was that I didn't take my Dad up on his offer to start bringing down his guns for me when he came to visit. He was still young(ish) so my comment was "Naw Dad you'll still be using them." I lost my Dad suddenly not long after that. My step mother was crazy so we went our separate ways.......and so did all my Dad's guns. All were to go to me and I got none. Makes me sick to think about it.....