what is the best backpack frame with bags?

.338 mag.

Reaction score
There are many good packs. A sturdy frame is sill hard to beat if your hauling moose and big caribou quarters. Internal pack frames have become more popular in the last 15 years. I have Barney's frame and bag and an older Eblerstock internal and an older Crooked horn Outfitters day pack. The Barney's pack is the most versatile and at my age I won't wear it out. For many years I used a Kelty pack and frame that I put a home made waist belt on. I grew up using what my Dad had, Trapper Nelson and GI pack board packs. We just made do with them and thought they were good packs and I still have one of each, but they are wall hanging "trophies" now. Barney's frame and bags are a very good set up and would last for many years. Buy the toughest frame you can afford and don't worry about having a zillion pockets on the bag.

Daved

Reaction score
I am in the same dilemma. What packframe to get. I have the Barney's packframe without the bag. I haul moose out with it. And yes, it is a great frame for hauling more weight than my legs will carry. I am going on a sheep hunt and will likely (hopefully) have around 80 or 100# on my back for a short while. Otherwise I am down to the mid 40 pounds of gear and hopeful less. No question, Barney's pack will do the job if I spend the money on the bag. However, the internal frame packs weigh 4 pounds less. Seems like a no brainer if the pack will stay sturdy walking with an 80-100 pound load. That is my biggest question, how much difference is there with a big load, up to 100 pounds. I have to spend a bunch of coin either way. The entire Stone Glacier pack is only $150 more than the Barney's Yukon bag and $150 to save 4 pounds is cheap sheep weight. Maybe I won't have to drill holes in my tooth brush.

Also doess anybody have a Stone Glacier pack they would let me try on with around 80 pounds to see how it rides? That would really be helpful.