What are your property taxes?

tboehm

Reaction score
One more thing about relocating. The place I'm looking at outside the city limits of wasilla that is valued by the city at about 350K is 4900.00 per year. That seems crazy to me. Can you share what yours are and where you are at. What are the places in the MAT-Su valley to look at to find lower property taxes?

kingfisherktn

Reaction score
One more thing about relocating. The place I'm looking at outside the city limits of wasilla that is valued by the city at about 350K is 4900.00 per year. That seems crazy to me. Can you share what yours are and where you are at. What are the places in the MAT-Su valley to look at to find lower property taxes?

Welcome to the Mat-Su valley robbery system Tom. I think the tax rates in the valley are all the same. I just paid my taxes for 2 acres of land valued at $69,000 outside of Big Lake and they were $1005.00 and that's with out any structures.

Good iuck.

colonel00

Reaction score
In speaking with people that live in Alaska and talking about how nice it must be to not have state income or sales tax as well as the PFD every year, they would always counter with the fact that "The Man" got his money back via property taxes.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Tyranny is expensive. $4,900.00 a year to have every aspect of you life regulated. Seems about right.

cod

Reaction score

Seems pretty darn high, to me. Kenai Pen area less of a rip off. Have you checked into various possible 'deductions' from set property taxes that may be available? Such as our $20k primary home deduction.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
On the Kenai Peninsula Borough that is about right. It is either $300,000.00 or $350,000.00 either way it is more than my assessed value.

AG... Correct me if I'm wrong but the over 65 age exemption is only good for the first $350k of value. (?)

LeonardC

Reaction score
We just got our tax statement from Mat-Su. Our cabin and land tax isn't close to what you might have to pay for a house and land. They claim the average homeowner pays $2,215 in property taxes based on an average assessed value of $217,553. Of that $2097 is areawide tax and the top three places that $ goes to are: $912 for Education Operating, $865 for General Government, and $169 for Education Debt Service.

tjm

Reaction score

Your numbers are spot on....

Big Bend

Reaction score
Kingfisherktn , The Mat Su is 170k. It use to be 150k but it got bumped up by 20k. There is also state wide the one vehicle free registration and free Hunting and Fishing Lic. So there is some advantage to maturing.

Reaction score
Makes me wonder what they do with that money sure in the hell isn't on road upkeep, sidewalks etc. I heard most goes to the school that's great but why do all the school teams go out and sell tickets to raise money. I tell you when I retire I'm going to be a thorn in the Burroughs ass.