What’s your favorite cure for roe?

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Ok, time to get ready for Coho!

I usually cure my own roe using the Pautzke Borax in red and also the Pro Cure in lava orange… Both work well, but I know some people use different stuff and some have their own homegrown recipe….

So what’s your favorite, your go-to, your homegrown technique?

I'm not asking for secret recipes, but just wanting to know what people are using

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
There actually is a book on egg cure recipes.
I believe Scott Haugen wrote it.
Myself? I usually use procure and add one of their additives to it such as slam-ola or monster bite.
Keep a couple options on hand just in case.
I do try to remove the blood from the skeins when cleaning them.
Then I cut into the sizes I prefer and toss in a ziploc. The cure is added and massaged into the eggs for good coverage.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

cory100

Reaction score
Various methods and ways for sure. Scott Haugen wrote some good stuff over the years Honestly most of the time I ziploc/shake/let sit around an hour/freeze. With procure, if I have the time, I like to put on a drying rack for a while. You seem to get a less juicy and firmer roe doing that. Would be curious if anyone has noticed any variance in catch rates depending on cure. Growing up in the NW roe was like gold. I have friends come up and fish that will take more roe home than fillets. Also you would be thrown of some boats or not invited back if you ever touched the roe with a bare hand, some guys always used gloves. I think when fish runs dwindle those things can matter in catch rates.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Various methods and ways for sure. Scott Haugen wrote some good stuff over the years Honestly most of the time I ziploc/shake/let sit around an hour/freeze. With procure, if I have the time, I like to put on a drying rack for a while. You seem to get a less juicy and firmer roe doing that. Would be curious if anyone has noticed any variance in catch rates depending on cure. Growing up in the NW roe was like gold. I have friends come up and fish that will take more roe home than fillets. Also you would be thrown of some boats or not invited back if you ever touched the roe with a bare hand, some guys always used gloves. I think when fish runs dwindle those things can matter in catch rates.

A lot of us back in the day in the PNW probably ate as much roe as what we used for bait. Happens when most of your fishing is done with NDN's.

4merguide

Reaction score
I remember a guy that only used rock salt. I really don't know what procedure he used in doing so, but I remember him having some cut up in little chunks and it looked really nice and seems to work as well as any other.