West Susitna Access Road?

cdubbin

Reaction score

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I just read that article on ADN last night, first I’d heard of it as well.

Altogether seems like a nasty deal. I guess it’s either a road with 140+ stream crossings winding throughout the beautiful backcountry, or a giant dam on the Susitna. Pick your poison and wave goodbye to the last of the fish in there.

At the very least, you can do this survey and give them a piece of your mind on the situation. I just did.

Text Message Survey: text "access" to 866-298-0013

33outdoorsman

Reaction score
I agree with hillbilly, this road would likely be the final nail in the coffin for all the struggling Susitna Chinook runs. That country would never be the same again once a road is constructed through it. Then there will need to be various spur roads and one road turns into ten.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I agree with hillbilly, this road would likely be the final nail in the coffin for all the struggling Susitna Chinook runs. That country would never be the same again once a road is constructed through it. Then there will need to be various spur roads and one road turns into ten.

Exactly… All of that “public” land turns private real quick, whether the corporations lay claim or individuals… Most access goes away. Doesn’t seem like the state cares too much about the chinooks in there anyway since their escapement goals are so low already. Then you get 200 boats on the Deshka the day they open it for harvest.

Super lame situation, I hope every bit of it gets shut down. Some things are more important to preserve than to justify damaging it, quite possibly beyond repair, just to generate specific jobs and materials.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Can you say Kenai river king?

How about any King fishery that isn’t from a hatchery? Don’t get me wrong, the hatcheries have done wonders for fishing in this state, but gone are the days when you could go and land a big natural king.

I grew up in Talkeetna, so the Big Su feels like home to me. When I was a kid I’d go down to the mouth of Montana Creek and sling Pixees every year and bring home a 50-60lb king. It was a guarantee. They were huge.

Good luck finding that anywhere in the state nowadays.

alexander

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm helping spearhead opposition to the road. You can pm me for more info or join the Susitna coalition on FB to help with our efforts. We will be starting a petition soon and have many people helping in the process. I have a phone conference with Les Gara tomorrow and he is against it at this moment also. I will give everyone more info soon as I have to go to work now. My name is Mike Mason and you can reach me at 907 733 1559.

Last edited:

longlosthermit

Reaction score
Just my two cents...

Got a post card about this in the mail yesterday, and have been researching what I could. I'm a part-timer in the matsu region (hopefully that changes soon) so I don't have as much at stake as those with years of building their lives in the area, but I do have some remote land that the road will almost touch, which defeats the whole purpose of having it.

I live in the Adirondack region of upstate NY which is large (not AK large), but mountainous, and gorgeous. However, no matter how deep you go into the hills here you are never more than a few miles from a road. This has led to real problems with overfishing, overhunting and places generally being overrun by tourists. Ecotourism is a double-edged sword and in my experience unfortunately not sustainable from an environmental standpoint when areas are easily accessible. Our government wastes so much money on remediation programs (fish stocking, etc...) to fix problems that should have never been caused in the first place. I realize things are heavily managed in AK already, but a road like this would make It even worse and it's not very fair to the remote guiding services in the area that rely on the remoteness and hunting/fishing permit structure to make their living.

I see that the AIDEA is considering making the bulk of the road private now which seems like it would belp alleviate some of peoples' concerns, but I'd still feel like I have personally wasted my time and money starting to build a dream.
Seems like another case of shortsightedness influenced by monetary greed which has been an all-too familiar occurrence back home.

Last edited:

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Just my two cents...

Got a post card about this in the mail yesterday, and have been researching what I could. I'm a part-timer in the matsu region (hopefully that changes soon) so I don't have as much at stake as those with years of building their lives in the area, but I do have some remote land that the road will almost touch, which defeats the whole purpose of having it.

I live in the Adirondack region of upstate NY which is large (not AK large), but mountainous, and gorgeous. However, no matter how deep you go into the hills here you are never more than a few miles from a road. This has led to real problems with overfishing, overhunting and places generally being overrun by tourists. Ecotourism is a double-edged sword and in my experience unfortunately not sustainable from an environmental standpoint when areas are easily accessible. Our government wastes so much money on remediation programs (fish stocking, etc...) to fix problems that should have never been caused in the first place. I realize things are heavily managed in AK already, but a road like this would make It even worse and it's not very fair to the remote guiding services in the area that rely on the remoteness and hunting/fishing permit structure to make their living.

I see that the AIDEA is considering making the bulk of the road private now which seems like it would belp alleviate some of peoples' concerns, but I'd still feel like I have personally wasted my time and money starting to build a dream.
Seems like another case of shortsightedness influenced by monetary greed which has been an all-too familiar occurrence back home.

Precisely my point. Sure, the road may be private for the next 20 years or so, which would cut down on public use and overfishing and over hunting, but the development alone will dramatically affect the streams that are already hurting.

longlosthermit

Reaction score
Go to Susitna River Coalition on FB and they have all the information you need on this road project.

Hi Mike,

I tried to PM you last night but it appears I don't have those permissions, which is fine. Probably because I do a lot more reading on here than posting. Followed the FB page and I'll keep my eye on it for any petitions, new material, or whatever comes out.

Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance.

alexander

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I tried to PM you last night but it appears I don't have those permissions, which is fine. Probably because I do a lot more reading on here than posting. Followed the FB page and I'll keep my eye on it for any petitions, new material, or whatever comes out.

Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance.

You can email me at [email protected] we always nee anyones help!

AK Bearcat

Reaction score
Any more updates on this project? While it might seem good on the front side, I am sure that there are more down sides! While spreading people out a little might be good, I do not see it being good for the environment!

Big Bend

Reaction score
The only spreading that is going to happen is not people but millions of dollars for a foreign mining company instead of repairing the roads that all of the people that live here drive on daily..It will destroy the wilderness area of the west Susitna area with 151 known stream crossings . There is hundreds if not thousands of people that bought remote property from the state for a remote lifestyle if they wanted to be on the road system then they would have bought there. What people do not realize that the road is not going to be open to the public like a lot of people say and wish. This is the info that has come out of the 2 public meetings . The reply from people that attended these both in person and telephonically were about 95% opposed but yet the Mat Su Borough assembly sent it through approved. That is a good example of them not listing to the will of the people.

alexander

Reaction score
AIDIA has submitted their plan to the Corp of Army Engineers. It is so full of hole it's crazy. For example they are proposing a boat launch and parking lot with restrooms where the road crosses Alexander Creek. This would be around 17 miles up the creek where it is maybe 30 foot across. Most of the creek from there down to around mile 9 has long stretches of water that is 6 inches deep 70% of the time. Some or the creek bends can only handle one boat at a time. Can you imagine people trying to navigate this with inboards one after another? Not to mention the hole stretch is King spawning grounds..

AKBEE

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see who owns property that benefits from this project and who benefits from the construction of it- it seems whenever decisions like this are made, people making the decisions are the ones benefiting. That appears to be lots of sensitive wildlife and fish habitat to disrupt. Seems hinky to me.

alexander

Reaction score
The foreign mine and Engineering firms benefit the most. Dunleavy is catering to the develop at all cost groups in order to get votes also. Walker and Gara are against this project.