Well, our bear fence did its job

Genna-AK

Reaction score
Got back from a trip to Kodiak, and we definitely agree with what others are saying about bears. Luckily for us, our bear fence worked-- No pics, just a story. ( It was early morning and kinda dark, so we didn't get any pictures of the fence remains; I wish I had.)
We flew in during a lull in the windstorms, and spent almost the whole next day in the tent in howling winds and rain. Late in the day, we got out and walked around, going up onto a small ridge to check things out. (We had not been to this location before.) About a quarter mile away, we saw a young bear walking in a stream. We watched it for awhile; that stream ran across south of our camp about a quarter mile, and drained off to the SW. We went back to camp. We didn't have any meat, but we did put our food out in the meat fence. No sign of the bear that evening.
So we got up the next morning; it had been raining some and breezy during the night, so we hadn't heard anything out of the ordinary. My husband went out to check on things when it was barely light, and I hear him say, "We had a visitor last night." Went over to look. All the fence wire and every single stake was pulled up out of the ground, and sort of strung out in a south-easterly direction, and a trail through the swamp grass in that direction. The fence charger was still ticking.
Nothing inside the fence was touched. We had a bear barrel of food and a dry bag with some snacks in it. We figured this was most likely that young bear we had seen. That meat fence was in a really wet spot, and besides, it had been raining solid for a day and a half, so that bear was well-grounded and probably got a nice shock. It was a brand new fence charger, a Speedrite 90, using 4 D cells.
We got deer, not anywhere close to our limit, but did not have any break-ins to the meat for the rest of the week. During the day before we were to fly out, we were back up on the ridge, and saw 4 bears down in that same stream. Late that afternoon, one big bear (definitely not the same one we had seen there several days ago) was still messing around down there, and headed to where the stream passed closest to our camp. We figured our deer meat was a goner.
Looked out a couple times that night, and the fence stakes were still upright and reflecting the flashlight. Got up the next morning, and everything was still there.:) Yippee!! Packed up and got flown out, and very happy to have our meat!
I have been told that bears out in the wild on Kodiak are not interested in people food, because they are so focused on salmon. Several people have told me that, including a person from the wildlife refuge on Kodiak, and someone who does bear tours. I don't know if the lack of salmon made a difference this time or not, but we sure heard lots of stories of bear encounters, and it definitely sounds like the bear have been taking more people's deer. We feel pretty lucky.

BRWNBR

Reaction score
I had a deer run off with a fence once. I set up a trail camera on my meat this last trip and got some great pics
Of a sow and cub enjoying some boned out Deer meat. Will be taking a fence down with me this next trip. Glad you guys had fun and were safe. What part of the island where you hunting?

Genna-AK

Reaction score
Yeah, we wished that we had a video of whatever bear took out our fence. It would be something to see all the wire and stakes just flying through the air! We're gonna see if we can fit a trail cam in if we go again.

AKBEE

Reaction score
Glad it worked out well for all involved! It is pretty amazing something powered by such a small amount can be so effective. I have spoken to a few people who camp inside the fences and swear by them. Glad y'all had a good trip.

Doc

Reaction score
Also glad to hear that it worked out...smart planning.

I always take a bear fence with me to Kodiak. I'll be there in a week on the south end for a week, and we will have three fences with us. They really don't take-up much space and each weighs a little over 4lbs with a pack of batteries.

BRWNBR

Reaction score
I’ve gone 20 years on Kodiak without a fence. This is the first year I wished I had one. Cheap insurance. Hoping the bears from town that don’t care about a fence aren’t headed to my bay. Lol

Genna-AK

Reaction score
We had 2 fences this time, around the meat/food and around the tent. One charger took D cells, the other took AA batteries. Our issue is what to take for stakes. The stake setup we took this year was heavier than we liked, but the last time we went, we had a fox get hold of a string (non-electrified) that we had holding a brace, and it nearly took down the whole fence just messing with that string. It bit the string in half, and dragged it away. So this time we had a more substantial fence. That added weight, though. Still looking for something better.

jonath

Reaction score
I will have to look up what brand I have, it runs off of Dcells. Question for those of you using these fences... have you personally touched the fence to see what kinda juice it’s putting out? A hunting partner and I finally got enough liquid courage in us to touch it and I was dissatisfied/disappointed with the shock. Maybe it was because my boots didn’t ground well?

BRWNBR

Reaction score
I grabbed a fence once and it was like licking a 9volt I was bummed. Then I jammed my other finger in the ground. Wow. Then it lite me up!

AK Troutbum

Reaction score
Well, our bear fence did its job

The backpacker model that Eagle Enterprises sells will flat out kick your arse. Even with rubber soled boots on, and only running off of two AA batteries, this thing hurts!
74c20311005cbb834c3cfd5bddeb5135.jpg

9f7d10edd40b3137b1dca826cc113833.jpg

4merguide

Reaction score
The backpacker model that Eagle Enterprises sells will flat out kick your arse. Even with rubber soled boots on, and only running off of two AA batteries, this thing hurts!

Wow....that's freekin' crazy! I know I'd never think two little double a batteries could do squat....amazing!

BRWNBR

Reaction score
74c20311005cbb834c3cfd5bddeb5135.jpg

9f7d10edd40b3137b1dca826cc113833.jpg

That’s the same one I had to replace for a guy because a deer ran off with the whole thing!! Might kick your rear but little deer love it! Lol

4merguide

Reaction score
That’s the same one I had to replace for a guy because a deer ran off with the whole thing!! Might kick your rear but little deer love it! Lol

Not necessarily....if the deer got shocked and managed to get tangled in it and short it out to the ground, then it wouldn't do anything else to it. See what I'm saying? After the initial shock and subsequent short to ground, it's done shocking....

BRWNBR

Reaction score
Cattle guys said cow horns will ground them out. I’m thinking that buck grounded it with his antlers then trashed it. Did it three or four times. Finally set up the trail camera and got
Pics of him in it.

quest32a

Reaction score
I will have to look up what brand I have, it runs off of Dcells. Question for those of you using these fences... have you personally touched the fence to see what kinda juice it’s putting out? A hunting partner and I finally got enough liquid courage in us to touch it and I was dissatisfied/disappointed with the shock. Maybe it was because my boots didn’t ground well?

Do it barefoot. Way different. My buddy and I did the same thing the 1st time we used a bear fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucksandnoles

Reaction score
I like to think of it as a sleep aid! I pack a very light weight fence tester, solves the testing issue without the touch!:D This one tested at 5,000V.
Bear fence.jpg

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Not necessarily....if the deer got shocked and managed to get tangled in it and short it out to the ground, then it wouldn't do anything else to it. See what I'm saying? After the initial shock and subsequent short to ground, it's done shocking....
I think if a buck gets tangled in it it doesn't matter if it continues to shock him or not, it's still going to get trashed.

4merguide

Reaction score
I think if a buck gets tangled in it it doesn't matter if it continues to shock him or not, it's still going to get trashed.

Agreed. I was just thinking because Jake said "
Might kick your rear but little deer love it!" that the deer didn't mind the shock. He may not have got shocked at all if he just happened to hook his horns in it right off the bat?

Latest posts