Well how did everyone do on the shrimp opener?

wildwill

Reaction score
Patrick,

I think you should just trash the Ladners and get a couple more of Steve's. Do please let me know where you chunk them as I need two to replace the two I lost on Sunday. Well, didn't actually lose them, I know where they were but just couldn't get them off the bottom.

Will

AK2AZ

Reaction score
I've seen a signifigant difference in catches set to set in the same general area just by the current moving the string into a different position from a previous set.

I've also pulled two weighted pots from a 600' set by hand, and only gotten 12 shrimp for my effort, I was even foolish enough to repeat the feat, in a different spot, with exactly the same results.

When I followed the steep, deep and 600 feet advice, my results were greatly improved.

I know what you mean...I pulled two 900`(2) pot strings by hand this weekend and only nailed 41 shrimp total...first pot 33, second 5, third 3, and the forth was scratch. I`m just dumb enough to do it again too. :) I was fishing 650` on a large drop with good weight but it just wasn`t happening.

thewhop2000

Reaction score
AK2AZ, It might seem like you went too deep? Everyone else is reporting good counts in the 400 foot range. I'm just starting out shrimping so I don't know but compared to everyone else, they went shallower and got more bang for their buck!!!

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You fellas don't know what bad results are! Last year on my first (and only) trip out for the commercial season, I caught 17 shrimp total in my first 20 pots, and zero in my first 5. I was in a new area, but man, I didn't expect it would be that bad. :lol: Things got better the next day, but only to the point that you guys are calling "bad". I'm still learning, though, and always will be. I have some areas that are productive, but nothing along the lines of 6 gallons from 3 pots. You guys have it figured out!

patrickL

Reaction score
Wildwill, sorry to hear you lost your pots. I'm happy to resupply you thought if that would help. Pass along a couple Benjamin's and we'll call it even :) Where did you lose them? Hopefully not in my honey hole. It would start making me nervous. How did the rest of the weekend work out for ya?

Brian, I've certainly never seen anything like 6 gallons in a three pot string. I was thinking 100ish shrimp in a string was pretty good. I think I'm just getting frustrated like AK2AZ mentioned. I did a bunch of work just to get the first 25 shrimp. Then stupidly dropped them twice more only to wear myself out over another 55. Urgh. What's the saying, insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting a different outcome. Maybe I should ge myself checked out.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand that being awfully frustrating when pulling by hand. I've got a hydraulic setup, so a poor result is more easily shrugged off. It's only time and bait that it costs me, not sweat. That being said, I bet yours taste better since you have to work so hard for 'em. ;)

patrickL

Reaction score
Well that's what I keep telling myself but a puller sure sounds sweet as well. My wife just likes to remind me that it would take alot of my sweat to equal the cost of a hauler. Not to mention she things it makes me look manly to pull them by hand. Ya think she's just telling me that ;)

spoiled one

Reaction score
Well that's what I keep telling myself but a puller sure sounds sweet as well. My wife just likes to remind me that it would take alot of my sweat to equal the cost of a hauler. Not to mention she things it makes me look manly to pull them by hand. Ya think she's just telling me that ;)

I didn't remember that you have the "armstrong" puller. Unless you keep steady pressure while pulling the pots, you will have some of those tasty bugs leave for a swim. By your wife a nice puller for mother's day. I bought my wife a set of shiny , 4-bladed props once...just once.

FISHFACE

Reaction score
I didn't remember that you have the "armstrong" puller. Unless you keep steady pressure while pulling the pots, you will have some of those tasty bugs leave for a swim. By your wife a nice puller for mother's day. I bought my wife a set of shiny , 4-bladed props once...just once.

I know if I told my wife I bought her something nice and shiny, she would expect it to have four diamonds not four blades. I hope that black eye was worth it Pete.

spoiled one

Reaction score
I know if I told my wife I bought her something nice and shiny, she would expect it to have four diamonds not four blades. I hope that black eye was worth it Pete.

She missed my eye, but her left hook displaced my nose a bit. Actually, she is all for things that improve the experience out on the boat. Life is good!

akpfeiff

Reaction score
Unless you keep steady pressure while pulling the pots, you will have some of those tasty bugs leave for a swim.

So I've always heard this and am wondering how critical it is to maintain pressure absolutely continuously. I have a couple of knots in my lead line where I cut the line trying to deal with severe tangles (I know--a little more patience might have saved me the cuts), so when I'm pulling with my Brutus, I have to stop for anywhere from 5-30 seconds to get the knot around the shiv-wheel. Am I likely to be losing significant amount of shrimp by letting up for even a brief time like this?

spoiled one

Reaction score
So I've always heard this and am wondering how critical it is to maintain pressure absolutely continuously. I have a couple of knots in my lead line where I cut the line trying to deal with severe tangles (I know--a little more patience might have saved me the cuts), so when I'm pulling with my Brutus, I have to stop for anywhere from 5-30 seconds to get the knot around the shiv-wheel. Am I likely to be losing significant amount of shrimp by letting up for even a brief time like this?

I don't know if it is a significant numbers, but I know that they do swim out. Try taking your pot of shrimp and let if free fall from the surface afew feet, pull up, and repeat. This will give you an idea. I do know that the number of shrimp in the cooler went up significantly when I stopped pulling with the buoy and bucket for drag and went to a puller.

Paul H

Reaction score

Don't repair your line with knots, splice it. It's not that hard to splice a line, and the splices will run through your puller just fine.

I've had shrimp squirt out of the pot on the deck from the time it took me to open the pot, so I have no doubt that a good fast pull will net more shrimp than a slow hand or anchor hauler pull.

patrickL

Reaction score
Pete's right. I've seen them swim out when I'm pulling it up. I don't think its a huge deal as the numbers I've been reporting are all using the same technique but you certainly lose a few. I'd love to have a puller but the one I want is in the $1500 ballpark. I don't have that kind of cash right now and I don't want to settle. Looks like it will be another year of the "armstrong " technique.

Ohhh, and I've seen Pete's nose so I know better than to tell my wife I got her something shiny for her birthday and show up with stainless steel props. An awesome idea if I do say so myself but I'd prefer to keep my nose straight. :)

Ebbtide

Reaction score
Had a great shake down run for the boat. Did not do so well on the shrimp though. Only got about a gallon of whole shrimp. The weather, seas and scenery was absolutely incredible as usual. I think I may have a little sunburn. I will attach some pics for those who need a fix.

Attachments

• P4170028.JPG
    P4170028.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P4170036.JPG
    P4170036.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 0

akpfeiff

Reaction score
Don't repair your line with knots, splice it. It's not that hard to splice a line, and the splices will run through your puller just fine.

I am working on figuring out how to splice--hope to get it done this weekend. A good splice will take the stress?? I 'm a little worried about losing a whole rig as I pull up a spliced rope!

Paul H

Reaction score
I am working on figuring out how to splice--hope to get it done this weekend. A good splice will take the stress?? I 'm a little worried about losing a whole rig as I pull up a spliced rope!

A knot is almost alway weaker than the line itself, a splice is stronger than the line. Knots can come undone, splices don't. They really aren't that hard to do on a 3 ply line, and I increase the length of my splices about 50% over the recomended minimum splice length just to be sure. I've never had a problem with a splice, either line to line connection, or making a loop at the end of a line. My shrimping line is three 400' lengths of poly that are spliced together. I'm going to change the setup to 600' of poly for the ground line and 600' of leadline, because adding sinkers along the poly to sink the slack line is not that good of a setup.

Latest posts