Water Quality (filter, boil, carry) on Yukon & Tanana Rivers (or just in general

Yukon77

New member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
You or a companion only have to get sick "once" to appreciate the importance of avoiding water borne illnesses.
 

FL2AK-Old Town

New member
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
2,587
Reaction score
105
Location
Anchorage

Good article; thanks for posting.

I would agree with some of it, but perhaps not all of it.

On eating healthier, unprocessed foods, I think that is a no brainer. I hate this modern "convenient food" supply of boxed, shelf sable, cook in 2 minutes products, yet that is 95% of my diet. (The other 5% being McDonald's-actually, I may have those numbers reversed.) I'm pretty sure (though it's just my opinion and I'm no medical or dietary expert) that our food supply is wha is making us obese.

In regards to allergies: I don't know. I'm on the fence. I have a friend whose daughter has pretty severe food allergies. (They did that blood test thing and came up with a list of food allergens that was almost everything in the supermarket.) When I first heard this, I balked. She had been having some pretty severe coughing and hacking symptoms as allergic reactions, but when they cut the extensive list of food allergens from her diet, the symptoms vanished. Pretty hard to argue with results.

As this applies to drinking water supplies, I', still on the side of filter, treat, purify, purify, purify. The reason I say this, is look at stuff like Cholera. Hw many people in the 19tch centruy died of cholera? That was a water borne disease. Still, you have a good argument for "hardening off" our bodies to untreated water supplies.

Tell ya what, you go first, and I'll follow LOL.
 

AKCJ

New member
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
Location
Fairbanks, Alaska
Like most I've drank unfiltered stream/river water in the past but will not do it again unless it's really needed after having talked with people who got the big G.

I have tried drinking water out of the Tanana (in the 80's) and yes, it's very gritty.

I've use the Hiker filter with good success on clear streams but wouldn't use it on the Tanana or Yukon.
 

Yukoner

New member
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
1,508
Reaction score
80
Location
Whitehorse Yukon
I've drank from many, many streams and rivers. I've contracted Giardia 3 times in the past 49 years. And upon reflection, I knew I was going to get Giardia after those particular trips. Drinking water in Beaver ponds (literally) is just NOT a good idea. I just got over my last bout with G, and its no fun. I knew I was going to get it, and I should have treated the water or carried more from side streams, but I got lazy.
Having said that, I don't think I would drink the water from the lower Yukon except in an emergency. If you boil it or treat it with drops, you'd be fine, BUT, not very aesthetic water.
Tank up at the sidestreams as others have said.
 

Tradbow84

New member
Joined
Nov 13, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Are you dead set on a filter? like it was stated previously dump it through a shirt to "filter out the chewy stuff" and boil it. Easy to do over a fire or if you have 1 of these new little jetboils. Saying that Ive drank a lot of water thats mountain run off up here without doing anything but filling my camelbak up. Water like that coming right outta the beaver **** was boiled.
 

Buck Nelson

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
365
Reaction score
65
Location
Fairbanks
I've contracted Giardia 3 times...
Yeah. Me too.

People tend to listen to the anecdotal evidence they want to believe. The CDC says those drinking untreated backcountry water are in a high risk group for giardia. Needless to say, I believe it. The CDC has better data than any of us, no matter how experienced we are.

I too would suggest getting water from clear side streams and filtering or treating it in some way.
 
Top