valdez silvers

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I fished the Women's Derby with 5 women on Sat. we got 3 (11th place though.). Another friend got 1 and another 11. My grandkids are here now and we got 3 last Friday, 1 yesterday. I have seen them jumping around Columbia Glacier / Glacier Island but no bites out there. Yesterday we did 8 hours from Jack Bay to Rocky Point, 1 fish. Guides were chatting on the radio about the lack of fish also. There have been reports of 2, 16 pounders caught in the harbor and I saw one of those. It I going to be an interesting year. Three years ago for the derby we had to run all the way to Goose Island. On the other hand, there is a pod of Orca's about 12-13 of them that were working from Jack Bay to Galena Bay yesterday. The grandkids got to see an octopus in the mouth of one and listen to one burp.

Kingfisher10

Reaction score
We fished 5 for the Women's derby also, only caught 1 fish, fortunately it was the right fish for the derby, definately the slowest day I've ever had silver fishing, guess we will have to see if they show up in force anytime soon, I'll be back after them in a few days when I get off shift. Good luck

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
You know this happened 2 years ago too, pretty much the same. There was a huge pod of Orca's working out at Blight Reef and that area. Eventually the silvers made it in but it took a while. I am wondering if maybe the Orca's can scatter the fish to some degree and as the instincts get stronger they eventually end up where they are supposed to be. Just my theory.

ALASKA RASTUS

Reaction score
Kingfisher 10 Congrats on the silver and the halibut! Ya must be doing something right. Should have my boat put together and over there next spring. Plenty of pinks on the Kenai but no silvers yet.

Kingfisher10

Reaction score
Thanks Alaska Rastus, it's been a fun year, did quite a few trips out to the gulf. My daughter getting that silver the other day was the highlight of the season for us, those women are seriously competitive on that day, now when we go its pretty much just for fun and catch and release unless we know someone who wants some
Let me know when you get over this way with your boat

fishinslut

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a repeat of 2 years ago. Keep us posted there guys and let us know if Silvers start heating up.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Fished yesterday and nothing. Radioed some guys around me and 1 fish or nothing in the box. Bleak if you are fishing Jack Bay and in.

GregT

Reaction score
Just curious did the fish actually show up two years ago? I don't ever remember seeing any reports that they came in? I didn't think the commercial guys even did any silver harvest that year? It would be encouraging if they were just late.
thanks

fishinslut

Reaction score
Nope the run just disappeared that year. First time ever. Looks like a pattern developing.

Stanly

Reaction score
God I hope not. Heading down in the morning for a couple of weeks...

ptcris

Reaction score
Got here on Wednesday. Been fishing for a couple of days. Don't think it's as bad as 2 years ago. Fish seem to be there, but scattered and just not on the bite. Got 3 on Thursday, all within an hour of low tide then nothing for 3 hours. Yesterday got 3 spread over 5 hours of fishing. Have to cover a lot of water. Did most of our fishing in the Narrows. Charters still going out further but small craft advisories will keep us in the port area today. Lots of shore fisherman on the rocks at Sea Otter and we've heard that they are having some success.

Kingfisher10

Reaction score
The fish seem to be hitting a little better, picked up 6 at Rocky point in just over an hour yesterday on my way in, a few of the locals have been trolling just outside the harbor and doing very well, just beyond where the bank fisherman can cast, fish are here but not like in past years where you got your limit by just throwing a line in the water, you have to fish for them, still seeing jumpers by goose and throughout Orca so maybe the run is still scattered and on the way in

GKB

Reaction score
Like Kingfisher says, looks like the fish are around but takes some work. We caught 9 yesterday outside Jacks Bay in about 9 hours fishing and our buddy's boat caught 7. Today we fished about 10 hours in the same area and caught 3 while buddy caught 7 again. Most boats we talked to had 3 or 4 today, lots of boats on the west side of the Narrows.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I walked past the cleaning tables last night and saw some nice fish. I only saw one jumper on the trip out to the pots. The sonar picked up one nice school of fish but deep, 200 feet down. Local reports are all over the place: deep, in the port, at Rocky Point, in front of the harbor. I will be fishing on Thursday for a week straight and will try to update when I can.

akfisherman

Reaction score
I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to Valdez on Thursday. I'll be there for 11 days. I have plenty of room in anyone would like to drown some herring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk