Valdez reports

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I see a charter returning sometimes but not much going on. I haven't seen two particular charters gone from their slips all week. Boat rentals are just sitting there. The docks are one-third full. A few boat trailers near the launch ramp. Campgrounds are one-half full. Lots of boats for sale. Come on down, it's peaceful.

cory100

Reaction score
High gas is a death blow to these activities. I just drove the denali, tangles and brushkana were basically empty, saw about 25 or 30 cars in 130 miles. My trip to valdez a few weeks ago cost $170 in truck fuel, and $130 for the boat. Not to mention food for 5 mouths. Makes those yellow eye's spendy, need to catch a 100 lbs halibut to even things out!

Putzpilot

Reaction score
Any seasport 24’s for sale?

Agree, high fuel cost are putting a damper on lots of normal summer activities.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Any seasport 24’s for sale?

Agree, high fuel cost are putting a damper on lots of normal summer activities.

(907) 835-4981 The Valdez harbor masters office keeps a list of all boats for sale in the harbor. I haven't seen any 24s for sale but I haven't been looking either.

There is one charter on the way down to my boat. Unless he is on vacation, he has not been out all week. Lots of empty slips this year. Gasoline did drop some this week but can't remember the price. Diesel is still holding at $6.64.

Putzpilot

Reaction score
Thanks much for the info.
I’ll be headed down in the middle of next month to charter out. Really looking forward to it.
I used to run my 18 ft jet boat out to Knowles Head in my younger days. Now: not too comfortable doing that.

Rope

Reaction score
Will be back in just over 2 Weeks, can hardly wait. Work has gotten in the way and messed up both of my last 4 day weekends.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw pinks in the Arm and all the way out to Glacier Island and beyond. Got one 54" halibut one day and skunked the next. My friends got a 57" and some lesser ones the first day and only a 30" the next day. I did manage 250-300' of long line snagged on the anchor. I got about 10-15 clips and sore hands pulling the crap up. All kinds of sea creatures growing on it. Must have been down a long time as all the hooks were gone. Managed 4 gallons of shrimp tails. A little lite for me but I am full. Don't need any more, just shopping for friends. Rain moving in and small craft warning so came home a day early.

Rope

Reaction score
Sounds great, I will be down on the 20th or 21st for the weekend. I look forward to being there, work had messed up 2 of my 4day weekends and I couldn't come down. We only have 7 days fishing this year, I have plans for 20 more days to fish. Summer is going by to fast...I need to retire. I look forward to seeing in in two weeks Dave.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Pinks are in. Seiners were doing their thing over at Allison Point and the entire port. Watched one boat at the city dock haul in several hundred. If pinks are your thing, they are here.

Raffpappy

Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. You just answered my question. With a successful Klutina sockeye/king season coming to a close, I figured I'd head south from Copper Center, and grab some dime bright females for my smoker and mama's canning. May as well do it while I'm down this way.

Putzpilot

Reaction score
Chartered out today. Fishing was none existent in the morning and slow in the afternoon. In defense of the charter: weather was rough crossing orca and worse in the gulf. Had to go to Plan B. Captain worked hard but all fish that were caught were small.
rough ride coming and going. Still: had a good time with my son and good memories.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Right now, our weather is horrible. The forecast is for nothing but rain. Seiners seem to be doing well on pinks. I've seen one report that someone caught silvers in the Valdez Arm but it seems early. The monsoon season seems to be upon us.

Rope

Reaction score
I will be there on Thursday fishing through Sunday. I hope to be adding info. I heard a nice halibut was caught in the narrows, and some silvers by Goose Island and by Glacier Island.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I will be there on Thursday fishing through Sunday. I hope to be adding info. I heard a nice halibut was caught in the narrows, and some silvers by Goose Island and by Glacier Island.

Goose and Glacier are good possibilities but don't discount Bligh or 17-mile beach first before running that far. People drift the Narrows with bait and do pick up halibut. I assisted a guy in a 20' skiff one year. He hooked a 160# fish with no harpoon, gaff or way to kill it on Sept 15th, last day of shrimping. We dropped one member of our crew off on his boat with a gaff. Got the fish tied off for him. We left and four hours later he got it back to Valdez as he had to drag it back. It happens. My biggest, 159# cane from Anderson Bay.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
There are lots of silvers at Glacier, and plenty in the vicinity of/inside buoy 9. A few chum and some kings in the mix, too. Wednesday was crazy; I couldn't catch anything but kings...all day long; Thursday, lots of silvers but only a couple kings. I didn't find any silvers as close as Sawmill, but didn't fish very hard that close-in. There may be silvers near Sawmill/Potato by now.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I just got back from Glacier Is. myself. Brought home four silver's. Missed quite a few at the boat. Using Brad's lures but I think my treble hooks are a little too big. Love the Brad's though. Put a piece of oil absorbent pad in it with Mikes Glow Herring oil and fished all day. I saw quite a few caught with the limited number of boats out.

Latest posts