• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Tundra Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crumm

Reaction score
Give them 24 hours to get their trucks out. Fine them again if they make any more mess while they're doing it.
According to the Trooper they are not getting them out until the tundra freezes. I just hope they are bright enough to jack them up out of the ruts before it freezes or they will not get them then.

martentrapper

Reaction score
Until the tundra freezes..........haha. I think they mean until the tundra freezes enough to support the weight of the vehicle. Plenty of watery warm spots on tundra. Depending on the weather..........it could be January before the tundra is that frozen. By then there could be too much snow to drive out.
If I was a BLM guy I'd tell them to get em out NOW.
Hey, ya know............this looks like the perfect excuse for a training exercise..............vehicle extraction. Some of you guys up there hunting could take some pot shots at the guys just to make it more real............hahahahaha.

AK_BigO

Reaction score
Make the punishment fit the crime.....

Make the punishment fit the crime.....

How about making them dissassemble them and pack em out......seeing as they were too lazy to pack out their bou in the first place.

Seems pretty fitting to me!

(You can vote for me when I run for judge.....lol!!)

I'm still shaking my head reading this, I just can't believe that anyone is that ignorant!

Rob B

Reaction score
Rug?

Rug?

I was up there last year and stopped in at pump 2 to get one. They told me it was no longer needed. Did it change back this year? I hunted up the Ivashak this year. I didn't want to fight the crowd on the road again....

AKBighorn

Reaction score
I don't know that anything changed, I picked one up in July in preperation for a hunt that I didn't go on.

Snyd

Reaction score
If they got busted for wanton waste and other violations the Troopers will probaly confiscate them once they get them out anyway. The Troopers could pluck em out with a big helicopter, confiscate them and send them the bill.

summitx

Reaction score
info about RUG

info about RUG

The Rug gives you access to the Right of Way but if the ATV, snowmachine, is over 1500 lbs you need a LNO, also just because you have a RUG, does not mean you can access the Right of Way everywhere, some parts of the Right of WAY goes though private land and Native land such as the case around Glennalleen area and you need PERMISSION from that land owner, but the security officer issuing the RUG will pass that on to you.

fisherman19

Reaction score
uncalled for remarks

uncalled for remarks

Sure would hate for them to get shot up if there's a chance they'll be sold at auction to cover costs. Look like nice trucks, but every passing hunter is going to have to resist the temptation to put a round in them out of disgust for the owners.[/quote]

Alright everyone let me say first that the quot above I can't even remeber who posted it but it is outrageous! For other hunters to walk by and have to resist putting a round into these trucks would probably be pretty easy. If you are a ethical hunter like everyone on this forum is right. (or at least the preach they are) Where I come from everyone who hunts has to have a hunter safety class to hunt. In that class
I am sure that most of you are aware they teach you to never shoot towards houses roads cars exc. So why would you even suggest that this might happen to these trucks. If someone where to do such a thing they are no better then the guys who drove there trucks out there in the first place. If not worse.

Number two an maybe most important. Erik retired Airforce or not you are wrong in stating that you have every right to critize these guys because you are a retired MSgt E-7. You should know better then everyone else that we protect out own and everyone else. We may and do critize in private but but that is were is ends. You calling this group of guys idiots and morons is totally uncalled for. Yes they may have used poor judgement (o.k very poor judgment). But what you have done is exactly what your are tring to prevent from happening to hunters. Getting a black eye. Well congradulations you just gave your military and mine a black eye.

Now it is alright to laugh and joke around about this believe me I have been laughing all day. However this group of guys could be in alot of trouble and I am sure that they are not laughing. Hopefully some day they will be able to look back on this experiance and.....(A) learn something as everyone should form this....(B) Laugh with the rest of use.

Now I am off my soap box
thank you

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fisherman19

Fisherman19

Fisherman19

I doubt that they will get shot up. They are still within 5 miles of the corridor. It would be illegal to harvest a Ford or Dodge within the archery only zone with a firearm.

fullkurl

Reaction score
Big mistakes.

Big mistakes.

Thanks for your post, Fish19.
These alleged actions appear outrageous, and in this case could well result in many thousands of dollars in monies and gear forfeited--and rightfully so. But you're right, I know many of us have made mistakes in all facets of life, some of them real whoppers. Fortunately for many of us, our dirty laundry remained unseen-unlike so many tracks in the tundra.

Its one thing for some of these posts to enlighten and admonish others, but another altogether to take pleasure in pummeling these guys. They made a colossal mistake and will undoubtedly pay bigtime.

Erik in AK

Reaction score
Let me clarify something about this issue...

First off I posted for 2 main reasons 1) To serve as a warning to others who might have had this idea. 2) Because I had first hand knowledge. As a secondary reason, I included the fact that they were military because it is true and to pre-empt the rumor mill. For whatever else I feel about this situation, I mostly feel sorry for these guys. They are in waaay over their heads. I've made serious mistakes in my life (I assume we all have) but never one that cost me a years pay. These guys are on the hook for a bill that could possibly be in the tens of thousands. E-4's and E-5's don't have that kind of cash laying around.

On the surface its easy to call them every kind of stupid...but I think the real root of their tragic decision was desperation. I don't know exactly what they were thinking but I don't believe driving out was part of the original plan. I'm guessing that after youth and a little over-confidence in their own ability got them out there, they were rapidly overwhelmed once they had half a ton of caribou on the ground. They got desperate.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think they convinced themselves they couldn't get the meat off the tundra on their own and that trying to drive out was a lesser evil then letting the meat go to waste.

Yes, it is a classic case of compounding one bad decision with poor planning and more bad decisions, but I don't believe it was malicious.

No matter this is going to hurt them for a long time.

Fish19,
Sorry but you're wrong, I earned the right to criticize my own and I shall exercise that right as I see fit. Some day when you get a couple more stripes and the mistakes of your subordinates become your mistakes, you'll begin to understand. Unfortunately, our fellow GI's have an all too rich history underestimating the difficulty of hunting in Alaska, and going out and getting in trouble out in the boonies.

dangus

Reaction score
the winner

the winner

I will stick with what I do best....."humor me son". I think this will officially end the truck war. Poor ole Dodge didn't get too far now did he!

Jerod

Reaction score
I think the best thing to do is completely cover the trucks with dirt, seed them and call them a Pingo from that day forward. I'll take the tires and rims off that Ford for spares first though. :D

Drain the gas, pull off a few salvageable parts and make them small hills. It'll at least put a little cover out there for future stalks, and I'm sure the birds and squirrels will benefit from it. Heck, a bear might even make a nice den in there and have a comfy bench seat to sleep on for winter.

I can only shake my head in disgust to the reality of this though.

fishslayer

Reaction score
Give me a break, just go pull the dumb things out. I'd do it myself if someone payed for fuel and a trailer for my rig. We can all sit around and laugh, but why waste good trucks? Yeah they made a mistake, but who hasn't? Someone with a good winch and a set of big tires ought to be able to extract them with little hassel.

martentrapper

Reaction score
Any group of guys, military or otherwise, who have walked 5 miles over the wet, spongy tundra,and THEN still been dumb enough to try and drive their trucks on the stuff ARE idiots and morons and it is completely in line for others to say so.

Shoot2Kill

Reaction score
Perfectly said MT..

Perfectly said MT..

Any group of guys, military or otherwise, who have walked 5 miles over the wet, spongy tundra,and THEN still been dumb enough to try and drive their trucks on the stuff ARE idiots and morons and it is completely in line for others to say so.

That was funny! You're **** right MT...they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

"Fish19,
Sorry but you're wrong, I earned the right to criticize my own and I shall exercise that right as I see fit. Some day when you get a couple more stripes and the mistakes of your subordinates become your mistakes, you'll begin to understand. Unfortunately, our fellow GI's have an all too rich history underestimating the difficulty of hunting in Alaska, and going out and getting in trouble out in the boonies."

Erik in AK...
Nicely put.

Alaskan_mtnman

Reaction score
Enough!

Enough!

Ok guys, I dont post often, but couldn't just sit around and listen to all this crap! So please bare with me..... Erik, you say your proud of the service from which you retired? You claim your a retired Mst Sergeant? Then I can only assume that at one point in your career you were taught the importance of "Quiet Professionalism"!!!!! I suggest you exercise it! Did these guys do something entirely stupid? Entirely illegal? You bet your @$$ they did, and they need to be punished for it and pay their debt to society! Hopefully others will learn from the mistake they have made so it doesn't happen again. Our hunting society and way of life cant take many more black eyes such as this. However, what they did in no way links them to any of the services which are stationed in Alaska! They might live in Fairbanks or North Pole all you know, and not on post. They are grown men, and assume responsibility for they're actions during they're off time. Am I supposed to refer to someone such as yourself that violates the law and works for Alyeska as someone from our "Esteemed Alyeska Company" broke the law this weekend? Come on guys.......... use your heads for more than a hat rack! I have witnessed plenty of "Tundra Dummies" as you say during my time in Alaska, and most unfortunately were civilians who have lived here all they're lives and should know better by now. Enough said........... Having hunted the North Slope many times myself, I do agree with the do's and dont's you listed. Hope people read them, and remember them.
Alaska Cub, need to get your facts straight there buddy! Thats what starts all these rumors, and discussions like these. Those guys you referred to from Ft. Wainwright werent on the North Slope, they left the haul road at mile 95 in the vicinity of Finger Mountain, so needless to say it wasn't in September either. Not all 3 were lost. One was seperated from the group because of a white out that came up while they were taking care of the Caribou they had shot past the 5 mile do to a severe winter storm. The one guy they were looking for all night, sized up his situation, and had the brains to dig a snow cave and spend the night in reasonable comfort out on the tundra, and wait out the storm. He survived the night because of the training he received in the military! Should he have had a compass? Yes he should have, or atleast a GPS. Everyone knows dont leave the truck without them. But I would have to say that I dont think the out come would have been the same should it have been and "asteemed civilian" out there.
Lets end this thread right here. I come here to enjoy reading of other's success's, look at the nice pics, and give as well as receive good advice. Not to hear of depressing things like this. If I wanted that, I would read the Fairbanks news miner!
Hope everyone has had, or will have a safe and successful hunt this year, and as always, thanks for the opportunity to post

Mountain Man

TILT

Reaction score
They derserve all of the garbage they get.Regardless of who they are.Yes they screwed up but this is beyond most of our screw ups.
I do not feel sorry for them at all.I am still laughing.

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Let me clarify something about this issue...

First off I posted for 2 main reasons 1) To serve as a warning to others who might have had this idea. 2) Because I had first hand knowledge. As a secondary reason, I included the fact that they were military because it is true and to pre-empt the rumor mill. For whatever else I feel about this situation, I mostly feel sorry for these guys. They are in waaay over their heads. I've made serious mistakes in my life (I assume we all have) but never one that cost me a years pay. These guys are on the hook for a bill that could possibly be in the tens of thousands. E-4's and E-5's don't have that kind of cash laying around.

On the surface its easy to call them every kind of stupid...but I think the real root of their tragic decision was desperation. I don't know exactly what they were thinking but I don't believe driving out was part of the original plan. I'm guessing that after youth and a little over-confidence in their own ability got them out there, they were rapidly overwhelmed once they had half a ton of caribou on the ground. They got desperate.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think they convinced themselves they couldn't get the meat off the tundra on their own and that trying to drive out was a lesser evil then letting the meat go to waste.

Yes, it is a classic case of compounding one bad decision with poor planning and more bad decisions, but I don't believe it was malicious.

No matter this is going to hurt them for a long time.

Fish19,
Sorry but you're wrong, I earned the right to criticize my own and I shall exercise that right as I see fit. Some day when you get a couple more stripes and the mistakes of your subordinates become your mistakes, you'll begin to understand. Unfortunately, our fellow GI's have an all too rich history underestimating the difficulty of hunting in Alaska, and going out and getting in trouble out in the boonies.
Thats a ridiculous statement, you being a retired MSgt doesn't give you the right to anything other than a retirement check and VA benefits. As a retired Air Force NCO myself i find it a little embarrassing that you would even make such statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.