Tripod help

catchfish

Reaction score
Looking to get a tripod for a small spotter but would also like to be able to use an 85mm razor as well. I’ve been looking for awhile and have a few picked out some are tripod/head combos some I would have to purchase a head still. Primary use would be for backpack hunts. I would also like to use it standing up as well as sitting down knowing standing would be less likely just want to have that option if I had to.
SLIK pro carbon fiber
SLIK Sprint pro EZ
SLIK Sprint pro II
Promaster xc525
Schonfeld carbon fiber compact
Velbon M43
Velbon ultra 355

I’m short so 50” max should be tall enough for me may not be for a hunting partner. Let me know if anybody has experiences or opinions.

akrstabout

Reaction score
There a gizmo I seen on fb hunting page, think the sheep hunting page. Guy is releasing his new design. Uses any 3 items, hiking poles or such as the tripod legs. Base fits in a pocket. Looked to be well designed. Swivel and has a locking thumb screw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leryt

Reaction score
I’m buying a spotting scope here pretty quick, and I’ll be looking into Tripp’s too. I haven’t started my delve yet though as I figured get the scope first then the rest of it.

catchfish

Reaction score
I’ve also seen a head a guy did some work to and machined a little adapter to use with 3 trekking poles or 2 and an ice axe. Cool idea nice UL move but not something I’m interested in trying at this time. I need a dedicated spotter, what would be nice would be if i wanted to lighten the tripod I could remove a couple of leg sections so instead of having a 4-5 section leg I could go 2-3 and just not have the total height.

akhunterosu

Reaction score
Going to go out on a limb and guess your an avid fisherman with your name. The only my reason I bring that up is to make a comparison . Tripods in my opinion are like flyrods or boats . They have there pros and cons and one can’t do everything. You can catch a king on a 3 weight but it’s not designed to do that and will leave you frustrated by its lack of performance . I have 2 tripods and there abilities are vastly different . I have a slik compact II that I use for sheep hunting because I need to cut the weight, it comes in at 22 ounces. I also have a full size carbon fiber Swarovski tripod with dh101 head that weighs about 5 pounds. The bigger tripod is used for hunts when I don’t have to carry everything on my back or I will be glassing for hours in one spot (bear hunting). If you are getting a tripod for mountain hunts(goats or sheep) I would say go super light and get something like a slik compact, Sirui- 025x, manfrotto Be free, etc. However , if your glassing for hours or don’t mind carrying an extra 3-4 pounds get a fullsize carbon fiber tripod . I use a 65 mm scope and it is too big for my compact tripod but I make it work. On my full size tripod , it’s a dream. Just my two cents , goodluck with your decision.