Travel between southeast and southcentral other than Canada or big airlines?

water dragon

Reaction score
In Alaska we have a few small regional airlines (e.g. Alaska Seaplanes, Ravn) but I'm not aware of any that go to/from southeast or southcentral... or for that matter, to/from southeast and Washington.

Assuming that for some reason (legal, practical, philosophical, whatever) one wants to avoid big airlines and customs checkpoints, what options are there for traveling between southeast and other parts of the state/country? Hitch a ride on a fishing boat?

I know there's the cross-gulf ferry, but it only runs in summer.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The ferry is your only real option. Are you sure it only runs in winter? A friend just had a boat delivered to Whittier from Washington a couple weeks ago by the ferry. One of our state legislators had to use it to get to Juneau after getting banned by AK Air - pretty sure it's an option, just with infrequent sailings.

Patsfan54

Reaction score
The ferry is your only real option. Are you sure it only runs in winter? A friend just had a boat delivered to Whittier from Washington a couple weeks ago by the ferry. One of our state legislators had to use it to get to Juneau after getting banned by AK Air - pretty sure it's an option, just with infrequent sailings.
I think the sailing that Reinbold used, because she was banned by AK Air, is an annual sailing specifically for transporting legislators and staff to Juneau.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the sailing that Reinbold used, because she was banned by AK Air, is an annual sailing specifically for transporting legislators and staff to Juneau.
Gotcha. But there must be something running in the winter, as a buddy just had a boat brought up to Whittier from Washington. Assume that ferry would make stops in Southeast?

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Gotcha. But there must be something running in the winter, as a buddy just had a boat brought up to Whittier from Washington. Assume that ferry would make stops in Southeast?
It appears the last cross gulf sailing was on the 9th. No more currently showing on the schedule for the winter.

So, if a no-fly lister, banned from Canada, wannabe terrorist, fugitive, etc. wants to get from SE to SC below the radar, s/he's pretty well left with buying/chartering/stealing/stowing away/hitching a ride aboard a boat or aircraft. Of course, none of those options will necessarily keep such a person off the radar...and neither would the ferry.

Last edited:

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Another reason the capitol should be in Anchorage. Why the people let this continue is beyond me.
Uh-huh. Or we could just elect decent people who don't get themselves banned from flying. Reinbold was banned from the capitol for the same reason she was banned from AS; moving the capitol wouldn't fix that.

Last edited:

4merguide

Reaction score
Uh-huh. Or we could just elect decent people who don't get themselves banned from flying. Reinbold was banned from the capitol for the same reason she was banned from AS; moving the capitol wouldn't fix that.
Personally, I've never liked the way our representatives can just hide away down there from the bulk of the population on a daily basis. Hell, probably just the money we could have saved from them flying to and from over the years could have built a whole new capitol building by now.

Patsfan54

Reaction score
I'm guessing it was on that one leg of the trip for the legislators and staff. At least someone got something useful out of it and it wasn't an empty boat headed north just so a few people could take their cars from Whittier to Juneau for the legislative session.

Doug in Alaska

Reaction score
Personally, I've never liked the way our representatives can just hide away down there from the bulk of the population on a daily basis. Hell, probably just the money we could have saved from them flying to and from over the years could have built a whole new capitol building by now.
Probably two or three.

cdubbin

Reaction score
I believe the current estimate to move the capitol from Juneau to the Rail belt is over $8 Billion...there's also a law on the books that requires the full price tag to be displayed on the ballot alongside any capitol move initiative. In 1982, Alaska voters rejected the move because it was too expensive...

4merguide

Reaction score
I believe the current estimate to move the capitol from Juneau to the Rail belt is over $8 Billion...there's also a law on the books that requires the full price tag to be displayed on the ballot alongside any capitol move initiative. In 1982, Alaska voters rejected the move because it was too expensive...
Yeah, yeah, I know. But it still doesn’t mean I agree with it. What about in the long run? There’s nothing set in stone that says that move would cost 8 billion. Hell, why not 10? Why not 20? They can say anything thing they want to justify them hiding away from the people. How many other state capitals are there where you can only access it by boat or plane? I know it’s just my opinion but I think it’s just plain stupid!

Doug in Alaska

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know. But it still doesn’t mean I agree with it. What about in the long run? There’s nothing set in stone that says that move would cost 8 billion. Hell, why not 10? Why not 20? They can say anything thing they want to justify them hiding away from the people. How many other state capitals are there where you can only access it by boat or plane? I know it’s just my opinion but I think it’s just plain stupid!
My opinion also. Hey, why not keep them all at home and do business via Zoom?