Trail maps??

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Just getting back into riding after almost 25 years and I’d like to find some easy trail systems in the south-central region. I’m in Anchorage, but willing to go north towards Willow, as far as Talkeetna. I’m fine traveling north towards Eureka also. And of course south towards the peninsula.

I’ve got 3 kids, 12 and under, so longer drives aren’t in the cards for me yet. Are there maps anywhere for any of these areas? I grew up in Talkeetna and know some of the trails up there.

Also, are there any areas in the fore mentioned areas that are currently rideable?

I appreciate all info and tips, thanks everyone!

JEH97LX

Reaction score
Last year, I found the Willow Area West Gateway trails around Willow Swamp to be groomed and easy with plenty of opportunities to wander off the beaten path further out. No idea on current snow cover, grooming, or the lake ice this year. Maps and groomed trail kmz file: https://www.waco-ak.org/committees/trails/

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if you want to go that far but up around Eureka and Lake Louise there are many trails. Just search for the different areas and you should find them.

NRick

Reaction score
Big Lake, Nancy Lake, Willow and Petersville all have trail systems. I don't think any of them have been groomed yet and likely have downed trees and open water in places. With reduced funding, I think most areas will wait until we are further into winter before they start marking and grooming trails. If you have younger kids I'd wait until they get the trails in shape.

The Mat-Su Borough has trail maps online but I forget where.

BQuad

Reaction score
Also Buck's Trails puts out a spiral bound Southcentral Snow Machine Trails book. Covers all of the Mat-Su trails, Big Lake, Willow, Petersville, Denali Hwy, Lake Louise, Eureka.
AIH carries it, imagine dealerships might carry it too.

stillapa12drvr

Reaction score
Also Buck's Trails puts out a spiral bound Southcentral Snow Machine Trails book. Covers all of the Mat-Su trails, Big Lake, Willow, Petersville, Denali Hwy, Lake Louise, Eureka.
AIH carries it, imagine dealerships might carry it too.

It was at HPP a week ago when I stopped in....pretty good resource.

I take our (inexperienced) adult daughter, (inexperienced) 14 YO grandson, and 9 YO granddaughter on the trails at Big Lake. An adult rider is needed to go along to avoid traffic problems, to assist in a few road crossings, and to ensure that Big Lake is adequately frozen, but the Big Lake trails generally provide lots of gentle riding (with a few swamp access points for opening the throttle a bit) for the younger / inexperienced set while being close enough and used enough that problems don't typically morph into serious situations.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Yes the bucks trail maps can be purchased from AIH.
Also most of the clubs have maps you can download/print off from their websites.
On the Kenai peninsula we have a groomed trail system in the Caribou hills that is a lot of fun.
I saw some maps for that one the other day at River and Sea Marine in Soldotna.
A little pricey at $30 each but they're printed on tyvex so their waterproof.
I have the same map but mine were purchased years ago when they were a bit cheaper.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Great info, thanks for all of it! Definitely going out towards Big Lake after Christmas, hoping to go out towards Bird Ridge this weekend with a buddy, this will be my first trip with these two sleds aside from riding around my house just for fun… I’ve gone through them and checked everything I could think of and they seem good to go