Trail Cams and cold weather

mcnejs

Reaction score
I just moved up from Idaho. I have a bushnell trophycam that I used a lot in Idaho. In the owners manual it says the low limit of the operating temperature is -5 degrees F. I would like to know if anyone keeps their trail cams out all year or do you take them down when it gets extremely cold. Thanks

jpost

Reaction score
My Moultrie took pics to 46 below. It's a discontinues model, one of the min-cams, M55 I think. Anyway, it seems like cameras react to cold differently - some fail and some don't. Use lithium batts for sure. I also use a moultris solar panel on one of my cameras. Just try it and report back.

Attachments

• Wolverine 1.jpg
    Wolverine 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wolverine 4.jpg
    Wolverine 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0

jpost

Reaction score
solar panel and camera

Attachments

• Same batteries for 2.5 months - solar panel works well.resized.jpg
    Same batteries for 2.5 months - solar panel works well.resized.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Wolf 1_2-22-14.jpg
    Wolf 1_2-22-14.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

mcnejs

Reaction score
On your camera with the solar panel are you using nimh rechargable batteries or are you using lithiums on that as well? Thanks for the info.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I leave mine up all year. I am surprised how long they will take pics.

jpost

Reaction score
On your camera with the solar panel are you using nimh rechargable batteries or are you using lithiums on that as well? Thanks for the info.

I've used both with success. I suppose in the dead of winter when there isn't much solar gain and temps are really cold I would probably use lithiums with the solar panel. The rechargeables are nice to reduce the cost.

Latest posts