Tow-behind Sled

pa12drvr

Reaction score
Hey gang...can use some wisdom here: My daughter has, over the past couple of years, acquired a couple of sno-gos for her and the kid and a piece of property up near Talkeetna;

She's put a sno-go tow-behind sled near the top of her list for Christmas: Is anyone in Los Anchorage or Fairbanks selling ready-made sleds (i.e. that tow behind a snowmobile) that I could contact about purchasing? (I'm stuck in Texas or Africa :( for the near term and can't get up to the Great Land to shop).

Recognize that the best sleds are fabricated, but I don't want her to end up with a POJ from a box store if there's something more suitable already made.

thx
PA12drvr

Berto

Reaction score
I have an Otter Magnum with tow hitch and hyfax I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse in ANC a few years ago and love it. I've pulled at least 300 lb of gear in it w/o any problem. Some assembly is required.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Ditto! I have one too and use it to haul heavy loads of fire wood. I beefed it up for that but the loads are heavy.

Old John

Reaction score
I also use an Otter Magnum that I purchased from SW in Wasilla.. but If your going to go that route I'd recommend you also get the tarp cover.. Otherwise blow by covers everything in the sled..

Tearbear

Reaction score
If you're towing a plastic sled, make sure you keep your eye on it, especially in cold weather. Was following behind a guy that had one break in half at 20 below...he was way ahead of half his sled, which had gear, rifle etc. strapped to it. Don't know what exact brand it was...cheap?

limon32

Reaction score
I also use an Otter but I modified the attachment point significantly after reading about many tearing out at the factory attachment points. I also don't tow anything very heavy, couple hundred pounds at most.

ATEC in Soldotna fabricates aluminum sleds and someone up here fabricates them out if UHMW that are supposed to be great freight haulers, hopefully someone else will chime in with the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I also use an Otter but I modified the attachment point significantly after reading about many tearing out at the factory attachment points. I also don't tow anything very heavy, couple hundred pounds at most

Plus 1 here. I also put 2x2's under the edges and secured them with eye-bolts every foot. I then put one piece of rope through all of them with some slack. When I need too tie logs down, I have carabiners attached so I can cross the ropes and secure them in the middle easily and tighten with only one knot.

limon32

Reaction score
Plus 1 here. I also put 2x2's under the edges and secured them with eye-bolts every foot. I then put one piece of rope through all of them with some slack. When I need too tie logs down, I have carabiners attached so I can cross the ropes and secure them in the middle easily and tighten with only one knot.

2x2s is a great idea! I used some metal strips with pre punched holes from Home Depot, I also used eye bolts for attachment points and they are super handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old John

Reaction score

the 2x2 and eye bolts sounds like a great idea..

Dinglishna

Reaction score
I'd say she should start out with an Otter sled. Yeah, they are box store sleds, but they are pretty good. Only thing I don't like about mine (a medium) is that the tarp doesn't fit tight enough and snow gets inside. I tightened the bungee, but it didn't help a whole lot. Need a system to clamp the tarp to the sides better. If she has to start hauling heavy stuff like lumber, logs or 55 gallon barrels of fuel, then it would be time to upgrade to a freight sled like many of us in the Su Valley use. Then when you get the freight sled you have an option to take heavy or light sled depending on your needs of the trip.

pa12drvr

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights guys. After reading the input, I'm thinking getting her an Otter until she figures out what she'll really be doing with it...

Thanks for the help.

bkmail

Reaction score
Great idea, inexpensive compared to many of the custom sleds. I had the magnum otter sled once and found it wsas too wide though. Wider than the machine pulling it and it tends to drag a bit more whenever we ran through powder, overflow, etc.... and it tended to create a lot of blowing snow that would end up in the trailer and stuff in the sled itself. My only advice would be to get the narrower model, its the perfect width to hold a couple medium size action packers perfectly plus it rides in your snowmachine track without plowing on the outer edges. Just my .02!
BK

AkGrumpy

Reaction score
Great idea, inexpensive compared to many of the custom sleds. I had the magnum otter sled once and found it wsas too wide though. Wider than the machine pulling it and it tends to drag a bit more whenever we ran through powder, overflow, etc.... and it tended to create a lot of blowing snow that would end up in the trailer and stuff in the sled itself. My only advice would be to get the narrower model, its the perfect width to hold a couple medium size action packers perfectly plus it rides in your snowmachine track without plowing on the outer edges. Just my .02!
BK

Unless you are hauling a couple big dogs. Which is why we have the magnum.

bkmail

Reaction score
2 regular sized sleds in tandem, he-he-he! One dog in each.
Ours surf on top of the action packers. Come on Grumpy, no stinking padded dog kennels in our train.
BK

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I have 2 of the Jetsled Kodiak XL sleds. I also have the factory covers for them and the Plastic runners added to the bottom.
The runners add better tracking when being towed at speed and also more wear resistance for the bottom of the sled.
The covers keep my gear clear of snow as you will get snow in them one way or another. I often have snow on top of the covers but at least it isn't all up in my gear.
What I like about this size sled is the 2 of them fit crosswise in my truck. So hauling them is easy.
take into account when buying them where you will put the sled.
For instance if you are towing a 2 place snowmachine trailer with an SUV where will you carry the sled? Strapped to the trailer on top of the machines or strapped to the roof? Will a magnum size sled fit in a shortbed truck?
Just things to consider.