Too many choices....Help narrowing it down

BRWNBR

Reaction score
Or at least get in a plane and go find one. Then race everyone else with a plane to it! But a wheeler and feet...that narrows it down to where most folks hunt. Might be a few guys out there passing up the 60's and leaving them
For the trophy hunters...find those guys and become best friends.

Drunken_Duncan

Reaction score
Or at least get in a plane and go find one. Then race everyone else with a plane to it! But a wheeler and feet...that narrows it down to where most folks hunt. Might be a few guys out there passing up the 60's and leaving them
For the trophy hunters...find those guys and become best friends.

Haha, yea true. I'm sure most of you guys will be happy to hear that I've gotten **** all week from the guys at work. "Gahh you're an idiot." Is what I've heard from about 15 people and I only told one person! Needless to say they follow it up with next time you go let me know.

acg515

Reaction score
I don't really see anything particularly wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat is harvested on an animal that is edible. As far as the brown bears are concerned everything I've heard and witnessed indicates that it isn't really any good meat. I think when it comes to hunting that it's the getting outdoors and working towards getting an animal, and then harvesting it when you have gotten it that counts. To me, there isn't anything wrong with horn hunting - I'd rather shoot a 60" bull than a 40 incher with 3 brow tines any day of the week.

As long as Drunk Dunc doesn't break the law by harvesting a sublegal bull, which it sounds like he isn't interested in doing anyhow, and as long as he doesn't break the law with Wanton Waste, we have no reason to criticize him. He's a hunter and that's more than we can say about most. The reasons make no difference.

sweepint

Reaction score
If you want big bulls you have to go where few others can't that is the key to finding them. I like big horns too but I have not hunted moose or caribou in three years now. Have not had the time to go where I like to go to find them so I just don't go and anymore if I do get to hunt I do it with a bow or muzzleloader to make it more of a sport for me.
I give a lot of fish and meat away each year to friends i can t eat it all so why not share. I hope that does not make me a trophy hunter.

Wet eNuf

Reaction score
So, I've built a list of possible areas and I need help from the experienced Alaskan crowd on narrowing the list down.

A little about myself.

Recently gained my "Residence" status, I have a 6x6 ranger and plenty of gear. I'm not afraid to get out and walk either. I have 6 days from Sept 16-21 to hunt. I'm looking at heading out on the 16th and get as far back in with the ranger as I can in a day. While meat is great reward its not my sole purpose of hunting my main goal is that I'm looking at getting a trophy moose (60"+). I passed up a mid 50" and a low 50" (maybe high 40") moose earlier in the week. I figure a family who needs the meat more than a single guy who makes plenty of $$$ would appreciate it.

Petersville unit 16A - I just drove down the main road but this area looks promising. I saw plenty signs of moose but never saw any actual moose.

Denali Hwy - Unit 13B - I found a great spot but all the bulls or at least the one that had a heard of cows with him just wasn't big enough. Then the other 2 bulls I saw roaming with each other were small as well. The area seems prime for a person that doesn't mind walking but no trophy moose apparent after a weekend of glassing.

Denali Hwy Unit 13B - Dickey lake. Looking at the map it looks like this could be a good area. Not a lot people parked in general area either, maybe an indicator of no moose or its too rough to get back to for the main crowd.

South of Eureka Unit 13D - Looks like some good moose area. I've glassed quite a few cows in this area but again not a lot of people.

Unit 14B - I made my way over to Purches creek and saw quite a few cows and a really small bull. Would it worthwhile to go over one ridge to Peters creek?

Tanana Unit 20F - People keep telling me to go up here but it's a drive for a weekend scouting trip. Therefore this maybe a stretch as I havent been able to get my eyes on the area. Is this worth investigating?

Any chance you could take up sheep/goat hunting and post a similar synopsis/question of the various units/subunits?

sambuck12

Reaction score
I went caribou hunting this year looking for a nice mature bull. We rounded the corner and on the riverbank stood 2 bulls. Small bulls maybe had antlers 2 feet tall. I looked at my bro and said "bam bam hunts over let's go home" he wasn't having any of it. Up the shore 200 yards from them was a grizzly bear. Still no takers. Off we go up the river further looking for caribou. We round another corner and there are 4 bulls crossing the river. Lots more antler on their heads! We beach the boat and pull out the guns. Looking at them we realize they still aren't quite what we were looking for. Sure they would fill the freezers full and we'd have great memories but not quite what we were looking for. Almost as soon as we beach the boat we hear another boat behind us. They are plenty courteous and wait to see what we are up to. When we tell them to go ahead they shoot 3 of the 4 bulls. Obviously they were glad of our choice to hold out for something a little bigger. The smiles and excitement on their faces was worth it for us to not shoot. I say if he wants to pass on small bulls let him there is more to hunting than killing. We didn't pull the trigger on that trip but the memories will last just the same. As far as where to find a 60" bull check out the road headed up toward Savage River near Denali. Some real big ones there. Everyone can shoot them too. (Better use a camera though). Haha good luck!