Thompson Center Encore Muzzle Loader question

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Recently picked up an unfired Encore. It came with 2 barrels. A .300 Win Mag and a 50 caliber muzzle loader. It uses a 209 primer for ignition. I have only fired a muzzle loader a few times, but I am thinking I want to take this out for moose. Looking for suggestions for loads. I have been lucky enough to take bulls with all manner of center fire including obsolete stuff. Have also taken 18 bulls with archery equipment. The 50 cal would be an interesting change. Probably will want to use Pyrodex powder.

markopolo50

Reaction score
I have an Encore also, and have a 270 and the 50 calober muzzle loader barrel also. I tried Pyrodex and had fair results. It wasn't until I tried Blackhorn 209 powder that I had good accuracy. I am using 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder, Remington STS primers(209psts) and 285 grain Barnes SBT saboted bullets. Here is the sticker on the bullet box. I never used the Triple 7 pellets so I can't verify the chart. I did shoot my load at 200 when zeroed at 100 yards. Had a 14" drop at 200 yards. I am going to experiment with more powder as long as the accuracy stays good. I have an inch and a half group at 100 yards and 2 1/2" group at 200 yards. BTW the primers are shotgun primers, not "muzzle loading" primers.

Chart
BQLjk8f.jpg

Good luck

gemihur

Reaction score
Loose powder rather than pellets allows for loading in intervals besides 50 gr.
I use 90 gr. 777 FFFg behind 270 gr. Platinum Powerbelt for 1680 FPS (full bore projectile)
100% effective

Latest posts