Things That Happen On The Way To The Range

Nitroman

Reaction score
So I decided to take two of my rifles to the range today, my .338 A-Square and my .300 RUM.

Going to the range is kind of a big production for me. I get the ammo together, get my little PressureTrace computer, my Acer comp (to run the data from the PT), tools, cleaning gear, rests, ect. I run over to storage to get my Oehler 35P, and off I go. I get about a mile from my house and I remember my staple gun. Crap. I turn around and get it. Get a mile from the house again and remember my camera. Crap. Turn around and get that...

Driving about halfway to the range I notice I am using more than the usual pedal pressure on my truck to make it go down the road. Also, it's pulling to the left all of a sudden. If that isn't enough of a mystery, the brake on the drivers side starts squealing really loud. I turn around yet again to drive back to the house. Almost back and I see a truck just about stopped in front of me, lock up the brakes. Man how embarrassing. By the time I get back, I can smell burning brake pad. Blech! Smells like burning clutch material. The hub is so hot I cannot touch it. I am done. Unpack everything and here I sit.

Sometimes I think the Lord is trying to tell me something.

highestview

Reaction score
You should borrow your wife's car to go to the range with all your gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBEE

Reaction score
Better to find out on the way to the range than when descending a steep hill pulling a load!

sh

Reaction score
Last week i got to the range only to find that i left the bolt out after cleaning
Dohhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainMariner

Reaction score
Hate it when I forget the stapler. Even more embarrassing is remembering the stapler, but forgetting to check and see if it has staples in it.

alaskabliss

Reaction score
Had a buddy come to the range with me, all excited to do some shooting, till he realized he had no ammo. Rookie move haha I had fun though

Smokey

Reaction score
I had one trip that seemed to never end! Forgot bolt, wrong ammo, battery died on chrony, and forgot my shooting glasses - prescription ones! $ trips home and back, thankfully it was only 4 miles each way!
Headed to Canada tomorrow fellas to drown some worms, see ya in about 10 days!:)

NRick

Reaction score
Hate it when I forget the stapler. Even more embarrassing is remembering the stapler, but forgetting to check and see if it has staples in it.

Who has a truck that doesn't have at least a partial roll of duct tape in it?:)

anchskier

Reaction score
Who has a truck that doesn't have at least a partial roll of duct tape in it?:)

Even if there isn't any in it, there is likely at least a fair amount ON it somewhere.... ;)

Nitroman

Reaction score
I had one trip that seemed to never end! Forgot bolt, wrong ammo, battery died on chrony, and forgot my shooting glasses - prescription ones! $ trips home and back, thankfully it was only 4 miles each way!
Headed to Canada tomorrow fellas to drown some worms, see ya in about 10 days!:)

I forgot my Chrony once. I went out on a beautiful winter day, calm air, see for miles. Even more involved than loading the truck as everything has to go in my sled. Yup. Bummer.

Scorpion8

Reaction score
Even if there isn't any in it, there is likely at least a fair amount ON it somewhere.... ;)

None on mine!

But ya gotta listen to those little voices that say "this isn't the day to go to the range".

kk alaska

Reaction score
Now at least in Birchwood we have the new 3 Bears for your forgotten supplys!

Nitroman

Reaction score
Nitroman:

I caught your malady. You are a Carrier. I took off to the range tonight without the bag with all my Ammo etc.

Smitty of the North

Ohhhh dear. Sorry about that. Only one cure though, pack it all up and go try again!! I am getting ready to try for tomorrow. If everything goes well, I am going to make some serious noise.
I have a new (old), .300 H&H made on a P-17 action. Well done though, bought some vintage ammo to try for velocity check. Same for a P-14 Winchester in .303 Brit with 1940's Remmie red box 215 grain torpedo's. My .300 RUM and .338 A2 will take center stage though. Might bring the .500 to warm up. :)

Eastwoods

Reaction score
I haven't forgot my stapler for some time now, however, I've actually pulled staples out of the back board at the range and used a small rock to push them into my target before!

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
I haven't forgot my stapler for some time now, however, I've actually pulled staples out of the back board at the range and used a small rock to push them into my target before!

Me too, like when I'm downrange without my stapler, and a target has come loose.

My stapler backup is the masking tape included in my ammo box that has stuff other than ammo.

I made a list and stuck it on the garage door, Very clever of me, and that helps keep me from forgetting range items.

Smitty of the North

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
Recently i got to the range with two empty staple guns and none to reload with. Had just been helping a friend finish roofing his garage and still had a nail belt and hammer in the back. I heard some snickering when I put up my targets with roofing nails and a 20 ounce hammer.