The official Unit 13 caribou thread. (2013-2014)

AkHunter45

Reaction score
I didn't follow the thread after I made that post until today. I responded to a post that said the hunt would be opening back up and I simply asked if he had a link showing it was going to open. I was a bit surprised to see it gone because I didn't think I said anything that would deem it delete worthy. No worries Bryan, I was just curious as to why it was deleted, not a big deal.

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
Actually, I thought the hunting was excellent this year, it was the taking that didn't work out so well. All in all, I'd rate this a pretty decent hunting season even if we didn't fill any tags this year.

I hear ya....I got lucky and was able to find some...I'd rather be lucky than good anyways. Fun stuff regardless just getting out there and a lot less work too if you don't get one. Still wish I woulda seen ya out in early Sept when you went zippin by!

hodgeman

Reaction score
Assuming hunting was "bad" this year?

I had a great year... the caribou took some real doing to find though. I'm guessing "worse" or "bad" isn't really accurate- more like "different", tactics and locations that were normally productive weren't and we even found some in areas that we've never found them before.

Like always, persistence pays off. This year more than most.

littleman81

Reaction score
I thought hunting was pretty good this year and we filled our freezers and gave away meat to friends/family that didn't get anything. Patterns change, animals move to different areas, etc. I heard road hunting wasn't too great on the Denali but I wouldn't know because I was 40 miles in from the Glen. The weather certainly was a lot better than last and as far as I know, nobody got stuck for a week on the wrong side of a swollen river or drowned trying to cross one...

littleman81

Reaction score
Called the hotline this am and the recording said it won't reopen and expect an EO within days saying as much.

Crud. Gambled and lost.

Think this was the last year I'll make a "donation" to the state.
No worries, I'll make one for you :)

alaska_pike

Reaction score
Dc483

Dc483

I can't complain, this was my first time hunting the tag and I spent a few days up there with the fam, didn't have a wheeler but I did manage to see 30 or so caribou. I saw most of them the last day when I climbed over a mountain around mile 30ish and glassed into another valley. Saw a small bull but it took me an hour and a half to get to him and he was gone when I got there. The wife spotted another bull close to the highway but he was already being chased by other hunters so we didn't bother. I didn't bring a spare, thought I would be straight. We ended up getting 3 flat tires and managed to get all of them fixed with tire plugs thanks to alpine lodge and mclaren lodge and some other hunters that helped out. We stayed at the alpine lodge and their service was excellent.

AkHunter45

Reaction score
I hear ya....I got lucky and was able to find some...I'd rather be lucky than good anyways. Fun stuff regardless just getting out there and a lot less work too if you don't get one. Still wish I woulda seen ya out in early Sept when you went zippin by!

My buddy Mike told me someone that knew me was coming in but I had no idea who it was. I should have stopped but I was in a hurry to get back to the truck to get some of my gear back that they took by mistake. I saw on the PV website that you bought a PR-49 , how do you like it compared to the Alpaca?

upstream

Reaction score
No worries, I'll make one for you :)

Good man!

A friend has been trying for a bison permit probably as long as there has been such a thing, with no luck.

He finally said this year, if I'd just kept that money, I could have saved it up and used it to shoot one of the farm raised ones in Delta. :)

broncoformudv

Reaction score
I can't complain about the hunting this year despite not filling all the tags. We went caribou hunting twice and got a caribou on each trip despite the short amount of time we had to hunt. Saw fewer caribou than we typically do but found them in the same places we always have and saw a decent number of calves.

broncoformudv

Reaction score
He finally said this year, if I'd just kept that money, I could have saved it up and used it to shoot one of the farm raised ones in Delta. :)

Heck if you stick with that theory you might as well give up hunting all together and buy meat since buying it is way cheaper unless you are lucky enough to tag a moose in your back yard.

upstream

Reaction score
Heck if you stick with that theory you might as well give up hunting all together and buy meat since buying it is way cheaper unless you are lucky enough to tag a moose in your back yard.

It was just old timer dry wit.

He just remembers hunting in Alaska 50-60 years ago when things were less complicated.

iyouktug

Reaction score
EO

EO

View attachment 74404 Asked by the Alaska Department of Fish & Game...Guess that won't be happening...
Maybe,..... My guess is they will EO it back open,...once they do a little more research plus gain the knowledge that the majority of the herd is going to be wintering miles from any highways. There still needs to be a 1000 more harvested IMHO,.. Bulls and cows alike.

Tearbear

Reaction score
Maybe,..... My guess is they will EO it back open,...once they do a little more research plus gain the knowledge that the majority of the herd is going to be wintering miles from any highways. There still needs to be a 1000 more harvested IMHO,.. Bulls and cows alike.

My guess is that you will hold on to your tag & harvest report till the end of March in hopes that it will re open, I'll let you in on a little secret..it ain't gonna happen.

littleman81

Reaction score
Now that's optimism! Someone get this guy a beer!!

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

And my guess is that the Glorious Nation of North Korea really is the shangri-la that its leaders make it out to be. And that unicorns exist. Annnd...that I will win a Delta, 14C, and Tok sheep tag next year. Yep, all three. :D

Sarcasm aside, have you ever seen a situation where ADF&G closes a season by EO and then re-opens it later? I've seen it with fishing when a run unexpectedly shows up, but not with big game hunting.