The kids got bears

trapperbob

Reaction score
I will start by saying very strange season with lack of snow this spring. We went twice, first trip May 7 to 10th saw 7 different bears pursued several multiple times but with minimal snow they were high and moving around freely with food everywhere. My daughter took this sow which I am sure is the oldest bear I have seen taken out of more than Fifty. She took her with one shot from the Ruger compact .308 Remington managed recoil 125 gr. at 27 steps. The old girls eyes were milked over with cataracts and it was hard to believe she was able to get up from the den by the looks of her body condition. Very long front claws possibly due to lack of muscularity left to dig with. My daughter was very excited to harvest such an old animal.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 0

trapperbob

Reaction score
Second trip

Second trip

We went back May 21 to 23rd saw 5 adult bears 3 legal, very tough it was greener than I have seen it in 30 years. My 10 year old son was able to take this large sow at 70 to 80 yards with one shot from the .308 Ruger american compact with 170 gr fusion lite s.p. This was the last night last light, and we finished and got back to camp at 1:00 am. The bugs got really bad while skinning but it was worth it. This was an older bear also but nothing like my daughters.

Attachments

• DSCF1449.jpg
    DSCF1449.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1455.jpg
    DSCF1455.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0

hodgeman

Reaction score
Well done Dad! Congratulations to the kids.

Your daughter's bear has got the longest claws I've even seen on a black bear. Outstanding!

kahahawai

Reaction score
Good Job !!!....................Love seeing the kids get bears !!! thanks for sharing.

stid2677

Reaction score
Awesome!! Great job getting out with your girls and WOW what a great old bear for her to harvest.

knikglacier

Reaction score
Great work, trapperbob! Good memories start with family activities and there is none better than this.

Sollybug

Reaction score
Awesome job trapper. Way to start your kids with their hunting success. They will be proud when the family enjoys their bear harvest in the crock pot. Some tasty trophies and proud hunters there!

trapperbob

Reaction score
A couple more pics

A couple more pics

My boys bear was missing her right ear and had a severly deformed hind foot, that looked like an old injury. The toes were staggered and it had no main pad just furred skin.
DSCF1474.jpg IMG_0483.jpg

mtncowboy

Reaction score
Congrats! I am so thankful for a Dad who took me hunting, and I can't wait to do the same in the future with my kids. Thanks for sharing.

Amigo Will

Reaction score
Teaching the young to replace the old,great job. Two unigue bears a spring to remember.