The drawing system is rigged!

jkb

Reaction score
I could draw every year but I'd have to put in for hunts like dc001 resurection trail ugh!!!! First year in 6 I've not drawn somthing I guess my "friendship dues" to my adf&g contact aren't cutting it anymore. ;)

junkak

Reaction score
I could draw every year but I'd have to put in for hunts like dc001 resurection trail ugh!!!! First year in 6 I've not drawn somthing I guess my "friendship dues" to my adf&g contact aren't cutting it anymore. ;)

Wrong alley in Spenard. You should get checked for a virus now.

.338-06

Reaction score
I know it seem unfair, but have you noticed that some people are consistantly lucky at drawings/contests and such? A friend of mine's wife is like that. She doesn't enter a lot of contests, just one or two every month, and she's seems to win a lot of them. Just sayin'.

I have to believe that for the sake of my blood pressure. :)

SuperCub

Reaction score
I've won alot of Permits over the years. Actually... The only Permit I have NEVER drawn is a Sheep tag. Luckily, you can still hunt Sheep without a Drawing permit. I've won ALL of the other Tags though...

Keep donating and hope for the Best!

UNLESS, you have a TV show, or used to be the Head of F&G. Then you have Guaranteed Permits!!! It's a CONSPIRACY I say!!!!!:lol: Ha ha ha

pike_palace

Reaction score
Corey Rossi was just luckier than us, I guess.... To add to the conspiracy, how about the star of the Alaska Hunting show Rob Stone. He and his son got 5 permits. Should make some great episodes next season.(grin) Another Larry Csonka in the making???... Ha ha ha

Too funny!!! I got me a moose tag. I'm happy.

Stephen Rinella off of "The Wild Within" drew a goat tag in PWS. FYI.

anchskier

Reaction score
On another note, is it required to always have a tag for caribou and rams or is there a way to hunt them without a tag?

There are a number of other hunts available without a drawing permit. Just skim through the hunting regulations for each species and look for whether a drawing permit is required or just a harvest tag or registration permit. The Haul Road caribou would be a good example of one of these. The drawing permits just open up some more limited areas that can't handle the level of harvest they would receive if it were not as restricted.

COtoAK

Reaction score
No ****! i saw that one person got drawn for three different hunts!

Corey Rossi....4 tags. Yeah, it's not rigged.....

Ugh...

4 out of 16. Wow... 25% of his hunts. Yeah... what are the chances?
Yeah... this one makes me pretty upset.
Whoever you are, Rossi, be appreciative of the hunts that you have because there are quite a few of us that wished we just even had ONE draw permit.
DS123 to the Bloomquists, lucky them.

Only one for the Bloomquists out of how many? 45 between the both of them. Lucky them for putting in for 45 different hunts but only getting one?

I often wonder more than being 'rigged' if there is a 'special list' for those who the state doesn't ever want to have tags or permits for a lifetime and if that could be you, or me, or someone that we know if we'd never know if we were on that list and we'd just keep paying the state these annual fees to never get any permits.

Just a thought.

Maybe that's something I should ask in the 'Ask a Wildlife Tropper' forum?:lol:

jmg

Reaction score
4 out of 16. Wow... 25% of his hunts. Yeah... what are the chances?
Yeah... this one makes me pretty upset.
Whoever you are, Rossi, be appreciative of the hunts that you have because there are quite a few of us that wished we just even had ONE draw permit.

:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone looked up which permits "Rossi" even put in for? I don't know the guy, and I haven't looked up what he won, but has anyone that is complaining about him done so? If he drew a bison tag, kodiak brown bear tag, and a Ft. Rich moose tag, then yeah, that is some serious luck. But if he drew a bunch of tags that have a 60% draw rate (and there are many of them out there), then what exactly is the complaint about? Since I have a haul road trip planned, I put in for a select few tags that have very low draw rates (less than 5%). Had I drawn all of those tags, that would have been pretty stupid lucky. As it turns out, I didn't get any of those tags I put in for.

COtoAK

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone looked up which permits "Rossi" even put in for? I don't know the guy, and I haven't looked up what he won, but has anyone that is complaining about him done so? If he drew a bison tag, kodiak brown bear tag, and a Ft. Rich moose tag, then yeah, that is some serious luck. But if he drew a bunch of tags that have a 60% draw rate (and there are many of them out there), then what exactly is the complaint about? Since I have a haul road trip planned, I put in for a select few tags that have very low draw rates (less than 5%). Had I drawn all of those tags, that would have been pretty stupid lucky. As it turns out, I didn't get any of those tags I put in for.

I'll say it, just to make the record straight. All of this information is on the Fish and Game site and could be researched and looked at by any one of us. You. Me. The guy next door.
I don't know, JMG. It looks interesting to me.
Kodiak Brown Bear
Delta Sheep
Easy Glennallen 'Bou
Delta Moose

Well... let's just say that maybe this guy got the luck the trade. He's fortunate if the system really isn't rigged. Maybe we should give him the benefit of doubt? I don't know. All those hunts are pretty good hunts? Maybe it might be healthy to call it to a task and question why this guy received so many good hunts?

SuperCub

Reaction score
And for those that DON'T know who he is...Mr. Rossi was the Head of the ADF&G... up until a couple months ago.

Part of his negotiated "Severence Package" maybe???? Ha ha ha

ADUKHNT

Reaction score
I spent $55 bucks on all 1% draws-I can't belive I did not even get one...must be super rigged. I just gotta forget that I drew a cow moose tag the first year I put in for one but that does not count since it was a 80% draw rate...or something like that:) haha

Some people do tend to get lucky, two of my friends husband and wife both drew cow tags this year and they do not have a secret agent friend, however I can not assure you that he has not been visiting the Spenard alley...hmmmm

akjw7

Reaction score
I don't mind not getting drawn (ok I mind, but it's the luck of the draw - I can deal with the heartache!).

But I think the system is broken in a couple ways -

Primarily I don't think any family needs more than one moose a year. I browsed through the winners list for moose permits and there are a scary number of multiple moose draws to the same address. Looking at public information it's clear that folks put in husbands wives kids - the whole family - so they can hope to be lucky and get drawn once. I understand that. I'd do it too if I could (kids are too little and the wife won't hunt!).
But...

there should be a trigger in there that once any member of that family is drawn for moose the rest of them get pulled out of the moose draws. . There's two groups there - the first group (unlikely I think) will go out and plug all four moose they got drawn for and give it away or whatever. The second group will go get their one moose and the rest of the tags will go unused. Proxy's still exist for someone that truly needs to hunt for another family - and I'm sure some will disagree, but one moose is enough for a family under one roof

I just think that meat hunts for moose should be doled out with a bit more logic.

As for the rest of the system - I think I'd have to support a points system if it was on the table. It gets quite frustrating donating year after year and drawing nothing while others (friends and neighbors, so nothing against them!) get drawn year after year after year.

LuJon

Reaction score
And for those that DON'T know who he is...Mr. Rossi was the Head of the ADF&G... up until a couple months ago.

Part of his negotiated "Severence Package" maybe???? Ha ha ha
When was he the head of ADF&G? He has been the director of Wildlife Conservation and I am not aware of any change in that status.

He drew a 15% bear tag, a 52%!! moose tag, a 3% sheep tag, and a new caribou tag with unreleased odds but I am betting they are pretty good. Not exactly the amazing story that some are trying to paint here.

POLE BENDER

Reaction score
hmmmmmmm
25 years @ $15.00 for sheep = #375.00
20+ years of twentymile moose @ $5.00 = $ 100.00
20 years of bison @ $ 30.00 = 600.
10 years of kenai caribou @ $ 5.00 = $100.00

so, to avoid the "rigged" scenario, next year i will just send a check in with my permits for $ 1100 bucks and see if I can beat the odds of all my unsuccessful years by"buying" my way in!
of course with my luck, my application will be rejecte3d for improper funds, no permit, and they will keep the money!!

goose eggs for me and the 3 others in my family!!! AGAIN :)

jmg

Reaction score
When was he the head of ADF&G? He has been the director of Wildlife Conservation and I am not aware of any change in that status.

He drew a 15% bear tag, a 52%!! moose tag, a 3% sheep tag, and a new caribou tag with unreleased odds but I am betting they are pretty good. Not exactly the amazing story that some are trying to paint here.

If you read through the posts of past drawings, you'll see many folks talk about putting in for 25-50% tags all the time and not getting drawn for a single tag. I don't really buy into the consipiracy theory, but getting a 15% and a 3% tag in the same year, along with 2 other tags that are by no means guaranteed . . . that right there is really, really lucky by any standard.

akjw7

Reaction score
that right there is really, really lucky by any standard.

same with the family that got six moose tags or the other family that got four moose tags (not all the same hunt number either so the party hunt answer doesn't work)

jmg

Reaction score
same with the family that got six moose tags or the other family that got four moose tags (not all the same hunt number either so the party hunt answer doesn't work)

Not necessarily. There are some pretty remote areas of Alaska that have a nearly 100% draw rate. I don't know if that is where those families put in for or not, but sometimes it happens. My neighbor last year had 3 in his family - the only 3 that put in - all draw DC827 (caribou up by Healy). I don't recall what the odds are for that area (I know I failed to draw it this year), but all 3 of them won a tag. I know that they have no connections at fish and game, and the entire family struck out on every tag they put in for this year. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

anchskier

Reaction score

If you look at those (I think I am looking at the same set), three of the permits are for the same hunt, so yes, the party hunt thing probably does account for at least two of those. Here is the rundown of drawing odds from the supplement:

DM686 x 3 - 33%
DM684 -52%
DM732 -21%
DM769 -27%

All high odds draws. Looking at the application list, the lowest odds hunt any of them applied for was 12%, which is far higher than ANY of the hunts I put in for and far higher than most of the hunts most people put in for. They played the odds, picking from high probability hunts and putting in for the maximum chances for each person they could and, what do you know, they came out ahead. I would probably be more surprised if they did not score a pretty good list of permits from that application.

LuJon

Reaction score
Exactly! A group of us all friends with Alaska_Lanche put in for the same goat tag in 2009. 4 of us drew tags and had a great party hunt bringing home 4 goats. I recall odds being in the 25-30% range. It happens

Latest posts