The cost of hunting

safari

Reaction score
I have some very nice pieces of gear with names like Leica, Schmidt and Bender, Weatherby, etc. Are they necessary? No. Are they worth the price? In my opinion, yes. I have hunted in my back yard. I have hunted on the other side of the world. I have hunted big stuff. I have hunted small stuff. I have hunted in an area overrun by other hunters cause I didn't have time to fly out to more remote country. I have flown to remote country and hunted for weeks and never seen another hunter. I have hired guides. I have hunted on my own.

hunting is my passion in life. In fact, the only reason I put up with the headaches I do at work is to earn money to pay for the next hunt. I have been blessed to earn a decent wage and I spend that money creating memories in the form of hunts. I do many many hunts that cost less than $100. I have also been on hunts that have cost in excess of $40,000. When deciding what I want to hunt next, I don't really worry about price other than the completely insane stuff like rhino, markhor, lion, etc. I do a lot of low budget hunts to maximize my days in the field each year within my means but I also try to take one trip each year that runs into the 5 digits. I don't eat out. I don't go to the bar. I don't smoke. I don't buy Starbucks. I scrimp and save and sometimes work extra jobs to put together the necessary $ to fund the next adventure. Some of my hunts have been successful beyond my grandest hopes. Some have been utterly disastrous survival expeditions. I cringe to think of how many dollars I have spent on hunting in my lifetime but there is one thing I know for certain. I do not regret one penny of the money I have laid out on my hunting memories. I choose to live life. Not horde money.

AK-HUNT

Reaction score
I have some very nice pieces of gear with names like Leica, Schmidt and Bender, Weatherby, etc. Are they necessary? No. Are they worth the price? In my opinion, yes. I have hunted in my back yard. I have hunted on the other side of the world. I have hunted big stuff. I have hunted small stuff. I have hunted in an area overrun by other hunters cause I didn't have time to fly out to more remote country. I have flown to remote country and hunted for weeks and never seen another hunter. I have hired guides. I have hunted on my own.

hunting is my passion in life. In fact, the only reason I put up with the headaches I do at work is to earn money to pay for the next hunt. I have been blessed to earn a decent wage and I spend that money creating memories in the form of hunts. I do many many hunts that cost less than $100. I have also been on hunts that have cost in excess of $40,000. When deciding what I want to hunt next, I don't really worry about price other than the completely insane stuff like rhino, markhor, lion, etc. I do a lot of low budget hunts to maximize my days in the field each year within my means but I also try to take one trip each year that runs into the 5 digits. I don't eat out. I don't go to the bar. I don't smoke. I don't buy Starbucks. I scrimp and save and sometimes work extra jobs to put together the necessary $ to fund the next adventure. Some of my hunts have been successful beyond my grandest hopes. Some have been utterly disastrous survival expeditions. I cringe to think of how many dollars I have spent on hunting in my lifetime but there is one thing I know for certain. I do not regret one penny of the money I have laid out on my hunting memories. I choose to live life. Not horde money.

Great post! Agree 100%

Roland on the River

Reaction score

SAFARI, you said it all when" I don't eat out, I don't go to bars, etc. etc. " Back in my prime hunting days of the '70s 80's and '90s' I was asked a lot, how can you afford the bush flight to go Sheep hunting. These same guys could be seen parked at the bars at night. I would only say, put a few dollars in a jar EACH week and by next August you will have the money for a fly-in. To each their own I guess.

Milo

Reaction score
Money has no value until you spend it. Why not spend it in something you enjoy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK Bearcat

Reaction score
Does anyone really know what it cost to hunt? I came from a family of hunters, my father hunted as did his father, my grandfather on my mothers side was a hunter as are all of his sons. Hunting is a away of life, and the cost rarely comes to play. It is the time that we share together and being in the woods. As far as equipment goes, I am still using a rifle that I bought in 1971 for $195.00, the cost of it is not much. Yes we have some newer, more expensive 'stuff' but it is not just used for hunting. We also have a motor home that we use as a base camp, but again it is not just for hunting. We get many days enjoyment out of it. Then there is the time spent with family/friends while out hunting that there is no way to put a price on. While harvesting a game animal is nice, and the meat is good to have, there is much more to hunting then just the 'harvesting' of game. We get a chance to watch wildlife enter act with each other, watch sun rises/sunsets from some awesome places and meet some interesting people that one would not meet otherwise.

Latest posts