Tent with a stove jack?

sayak

Reaction score
Concerns:

Concerns:

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I can't get past the idea of canvas being more substancial in retaining heat than thin ripstop nylon. Having spent several summers in a canvas wall tent while commercial fishing, I know that they can be snug. But the idea of nylon being AS snug- even though I know canvas can't have much more of a significant R factor than nylon does- is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I have an older Winchester nylon wall tent I have been thinking of putting a jack in... please tell me my thinking is unrealistic and that it will keep heat (with the stove going of course) as well as canvas, so I can get on with this thing.

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
With the tent being a double wall (rainfly and main tent body), it is relatively snug, but certainly not as snug as a cabin.

Paul H

Reaction score
It's not that the nylon tents have any real R value, it's just that they can keep the heat coming off the stove retained into the relatively small area of the tent. The old timers who would travel light would build a big fire to keep them warm at night. The advantage of the modern nylon tent and lightweight stove is you don't have to burn nearly as much wood, stay warmer, and with gear that is very light.

You can get the stove jacks from TiGoat, $40 and you cut out the opening as required. There is a flap to covers up the hole when you aren't using the stove.

shapp

Reaction score
MSR twin brother with stove jack

MSR twin brother with stove jack

Got inspired to get a wood stove/tent setup for winter steelheading in Eastern Oregon. The big go-lite shangri la 6 to 8 is not made anymore. Luckily MSR is now making the Twin Brother, which is near the size of the Shangri La 6, and has an improvement by adding the "sod flaps" which make a better seal to the ground. Got a Ti-Goat stove jack up-sized for a biger diameter pipe for my Kni-co Packer stove. Works great.

P3060607.jpg

P3060609.jpg

P3060610.jpg

P3060615.jpg

LuJon

Reaction score
shapp, you sir are living right! I think I will be setting up something similar in the near future using one of the several go lite tents I have squirreled away.

tccak71

Reaction score
Nice set-up, Shapp. Looks like you know what you're doing! Is the twin brothers a new product? Haven't seen that before. Did you have Ti-goat sew the jacks specific for your tent or did you just have to order them off their site? Does your stove nest into itself?

Nice get-up for sure!

Tim

shapp

Reaction score
Nice set-up, Shapp. Looks like you know what you're doing! Is the twin brothers a new product? Haven't seen that before. Did you have Ti-goat sew the jacks specific for your tent or did you just have to order them off their site? Does your stove nest into itself?

Nice get-up for sure!

Tim

The stove legs fold up and the pipes nest together and those plus the spark arrestor fit inside the stove for storage, making this stove when packed up 10x10x23" easly fitting into a boat drybox with hatchet, shovel, and bowsaw. Kni-co does make some smaller stoves too. The stove is a Kni-co Packer stove http://www.kni-co.com/ which incidently are made about 15 miles away from the put-in (Minam) for the river shown in the photos. Wallowa/Grande Ronde

The stove pipe on this stove is a little bigger in diameter than the standard Ti-goat stove pipe so they upsized their design a couple inches accordingly and charged me an extra $10 bucks.

tccak71

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Shapp. I'm looking at the smaller stove (Packer Jr.) but don't have a tent picked out for it yet.

Tim

LuJon

Reaction score
I like the look of that but will probably go with the Kifaru stove in my golite. I am kicking around getting my SL5 set up for a stove to take to Afognak this year. May haul it out to the brooks too though I am not so sure it will be useful there. Something about needing trees to burn :shot:

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
I like the look of that but will probably go with the Kifaru stove in my golite. I am kicking around getting my SL5 set up for a stove to take to Afognak this year. May haul it out to the brooks too though I am not so sure it will be useful there. Something about needing trees to burn :shot:

Lujon, Pm me when you get ur kifaru stove, I have some tips for yah regarding saftey and I have an extra device that you can have to prevent sparks from kicking up. I've made a cover for the hinged door that baffles sparks from falling out of the stove, and I also use a piece of reflectix insulation under that stove. It's worked extremely well for me. I've put about two months total time in the field with a Kifaru stove, they aint the greatest. The door is not sealed for sht. and it puts out a severe amount of heat under the stove (too low to the ground (hence the relectix). Dry spruce is the best, but unfortunately.....crackles and sparks quite violently when first stoked up.

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
cooky sheet will due, but the relectix stays stone cold. It literally reflects all heat......so just slip a piece of that under the cookie sheet, might even be better than reflectix alone. this insulation is nothing but bubble wrap that is foil backed on both sides.......darned good stuff I tells yah. At 30 below zero......I set pieces of it around the outside perimeter of the tent. When your sleeping bag touches the bathtub floor on the sides....the cold sucks the heat right off your sleeping bag. the reflectix stops that from happening.

tccak71

Reaction score
Looks like they're (snowtrek's) using lighter canvas; 7.5 oz vs 10-13 oz. They don't seem to list sizes or weights though. May be worth checking out.

Tim

Oregongoose

Reaction score
After reading more about it,I would check ebay or your local forestry office and see if they have any bad fire shelters they want to get rid of,We have moved to the new generation shelter,so all the old ones you see in a yellow pouch are no longer in use.I see them on ebay for $10 to 20 bucks, they are a little over six feet long,So you could do your reflector and a ground mat of some sort under the stove.

J2theD

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a quick run down on how to sew in a stove jack into your tent. This is something I have been thinking about doing for quite awhile.

Latest posts