Starting Your Garden?

lonealaskangypsy

Reaction score
I am also looking to make some raised beds outside and I would like to use wood and make them aesthetically pleasing as well, before we had some very crude beds out of rebar and some old metal roofing while they were effective they didnt look the greatest. Everything I have read says dont use treated wood. Are there any types of wood that is safe short of making it out of logs or finding someone with a mill that can make some for me? I read cedar is ok to use but man is it pricey! Or would it be ok to use treated wood then line the inside with some sort of plastic liner.I dont think anything would seep through it and it would help keep heat in the soil.

I found this amazing site online that has really helped me with creating my raised garden. http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/ They were chocked full of information. I live out in the bush where not very many things are readily available and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. This website definately helped calm my nerves, I'm sure it could give you some helpful hints too!

ruffle

Reaction score
We held off on the melons for now. I'll instead plant them in another week or so.

Thus far we've planted (12) Gold Nugget tomatoes, (12) Oregon Spring tomatoes, (12) hybrid, short-season egg plants, (6) Hungarian Hot Wax peppers, (6) Sweet Banana peppers, (6) Short-season jalapeno peppers, (6) Anaheim peppers, (6) red bell sweet peppers, and (6) Cayenne peppers.

We'll plant another similar amount of the peppers, 12 of a third tomato variety, and the melons (canteloupe and watermelon), in about a week, filling up another flat, and staggering the starts a bit, ending up initially with two flats of 72 each.

From there, a bit later, we'll start some of the different varieties of squash (Table King Danish, Black Beauty zuchinni, early yellow crook neck, bush scallop, etc.), broccoli, and who-know-what, in another couple of weeks or so.

Beautiful sunshine hitting the windows these days, though still with cold nights and warm days (30-50 degree temp. spread between night and day/highs and lows). Worried that the snow will leave too soon this year, but.... it'll be what ever it'll be.

jbswasilla

Reaction score
Its time
Got my seeds in
Peppers -California Wonders, Crispy Hybrid from Burpees Ancho,Joe parkers and Jalapeno from Renee's
Tomatos-Better boys,Romas ,EarlyGirls,Early Red Chiefs and some Sub-Arctic
let the summer begin

lynch

Reaction score
Seed staring!

Seed staring!

In the last day and a half about half of the tomato seeds I planted have sprouted. Can anyone tell me why staring at my little planters every five minutes won't make the rest of them sprout faster?:lol:

COtoAK

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to start my seeds. Too many hours of working this week.
It's going to have to be this Saturday. I have promised myself I will not do what I did last year with my garden.

garnede

Reaction score
I found this amazing site online that has really helped me with creating my raised garden. http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/ They were chocked full of information. I live out in the bush where not very many things are readily available and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. This website definately helped calm my nerves, I'm sure it could give you some helpful hints too!

If you like that site then check out Lasagna Gardening.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasagna-Garde...9623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300397056&sr=8-1

ruffle

Reaction score
My egg plant, all my tomatoes, my sweet banana peppers, and my short-season jalapenos are up, and happy as can be... And it's still at least two months before they can go outside... Hmmmm....

AKHuntressNP

Reaction score
Well, got about 17 peppers and a ton of tomatoes started this past weekend. Did 4 different types of tomatoes for variety. Hopefully I can do some canning with them this year. Not sure what the deal is, but a few of those plants have already started to pop up. Guess it will be time to move them to the basement and under lights before long so they don't start getting too leggy as it's too warm up here by the woodstove.

COtoAK

Reaction score
We are closer. We warmed up the soil that we are using. I did purchase seeds, but for some reason, we can't find them. Now it will be back to shopping for seeds again. :)

ruffle

Reaction score
We used to harvest over 160 lbs. of tomatoes each year form a little 10'x16' visqueen and aspen pole greenhouse with a 5-1/2' to 7' single-slope/pitch roof. At the end of the year, you can ripen the green ones in bags or boxes (the older heavy-duty MRE bioxes work well, 'cause you can stack them fairly high and they won't collapse...).

Once ripe, whether straight off the vine, or out of the boxes and bags, they can either be canned or blanched and frozen.

We still have gallon-zip-locks in the freezer, filled with some of last year's tomato harvest. While they're admittedly not the premium 'maters they were when picked fresh, straight off the vine, they are more than adequate in sauces and stews, for sure.

COtoAK

Reaction score
Now why doesn't that surprise me. :lol:

Yeah yeah... laugh it up. They are somewhere. I knew where they were, but the kids couldn't find them. I have been working WaaaaaaY too much to take the time to find them. It's almost easier to just pay the $7 for the seeds again. :)

kingfisherktn

Reaction score
added info

added info

Yeah yeah... laugh it up. They are somewhere. I knew where they were, but the kids couldn't find them. I have been working WaaaaaaY too much to take the time to find them. It's almost easier to just pay the $7 for the seeds again. :)

Put a reward on finding them, a little incentive might help. :)

I forgot to ask, did you check your coat pockets. :lol:

mudbuddy

Reaction score
10 Toms into 4" pots today. 4 EarlyGirl, 2 Brandywine, 2 - 4th July, 1 yellow, 1 Sw 100

Hope to put in the GH in 4 weeks or so.

Bsj425

Reaction score
Our seedlings are coming right along.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

ChrisS

Reaction score
All those little seedling are making be long for spring. I just planted my last weekend and I'm starting to get a few popping their heads out. Seeing those 1st little green things is always so exciting!

Latest posts