Spencer Glacier bench cabin

rjtunks

Reaction score
Looking for info out there regarding making it to Spencer Glacier bench cabin in the wintertime. I've done a bit of research and it sounds like making it to the whistle stop via snowmachine is pretty doable. But i'm wondering if it's possible to make it up to the cabin itself. Sounds its about an 1,800' elevation gain to the cabin and is switchbacks.

Any info would be greatly apprecaited!

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Aggressively studded track would likely be a huge help. Same as it is for people heading up to Lost Lake area, or Crescent Lake in the Kenai Mountains.

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Do you have backcountry skis with skins? Seems like parking down low and skinning up to the cabin would be a great approach.

rjtunks

Reaction score
Aggressively studded track would likely be a huge help. Same as it is for people heading up to Lost Lake area, or Crescent Lake in the Kenai Mountains.
I've done Carter Lake trail several times and never had an issue, even with old "trail" sleds and not studded tracks. If its similar to Carter, then I'm less concerned.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I've done Carter Lake trail several times and never had an issue, even with old "trail" sleds and not studded tracks. If its similar to Carter, then I'm less concerned.
I know people that have tried it and crashed sliding backwards down the trail. Surely depends on trail conditions and how much traffic it has had,

Jhole

Reaction score
I ride around Placer regularly and have been up to the cabin via sled many times and would share the following. Am unaware of anyone making it up the summer trail with a sled and know that guys have tried. The traditional route to get up there starts a ways back towards Skookum and if the trail isn't in and you don't know the route you probably won't find it. It also travels through a substantial terrain trap with avalanche hazard above and I wouldn't recommend it without the proper training and equipment. That said, getting up there is definitely doable with the right sled and conditions once you know where the uptrack starts. Riding out on a machine and then skinning up from the lake is definitely an optinon.