Smolt/Alvein.

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
Sockeye smolt have parr marks chum and pinks don't the parr marks do fade the closer they are to the sea however they are very visible above the lateral line and when looking down on the fish. Since fish feed from below they probably aren't that necessary in fly design

I would have to agree with the AK powder monkey. I believe all salmonid smolt/fry have parr marks except the pinks. I believe rainbows even have them. But I have never seen any alevin with parr marks. So I think Wyo2AK's patterns were very accurate. I like how long and skinny the bodies are on them. That is just how they look right after they hatch. And the yolk sacs have a glossy appearance to them. It looks much better than the typical glo bug material for the yolk sac. Wyo2AK, have you ever tried to paint the tiny blood vessels on the yolk sac before? They are a very distinguishable feature on alevins.

Catch It

Reaction score
Sockeye smolt have parr marks chum and pinks don't the parr marks do fade the closer they are to the sea however they are very visible above the lateral line and when looking down on the fish. Since fish feed from below they probably aren't that necessary in fly design

In usual AKPM style, he just gives the teaser without saying anything pertinent or useful for making a smolt pattern. SO I will. Since fish largley only see smolt from the bottom, that is the outline and color you are looking for....which is white. I've tried lots of different patterns but the ones that are most effective have a white belly, and a simple white bunny leech can produce as well as anything with lateral lines, eyes, parr marks or fins (if one so wishes).

This is not to say that one should not making prettier or more complex flies, they are fun to tie and a productive hobby to say the least, but the white belly is key. My personal favorite is a number two salmon hook, barbell eyes, with a bunny tail, a white bucktail body, and some blueish crystal flash on top.....This is my workhorse fly, but I often add some peacock hearl strips down each side like the saltwater guys do for the lateral line effect and a little red about the gills just for fun.

cube01

Reaction score
How do you apply the epoxy? Its getting a little messy around here and could use a tip or two on the epoxy smolt!

I did some playing around with Wyo's epoxy pattern from the other thread - the first batch I tied up and then epoxied turned out a little rough with the epoxy.
The second batch I tied the "egg" in first, epoxied that, then after it cured tied in the rest of the fly. That seemed to be a lot cleaner than trying to wrestle marabou and epoxy at the same time.

In usual AKPM style, he just gives the teaser without saying anything pertinent or useful for making a smolt pattern.

Ouch... I see the AKPM bashing bandwagon is still making its rounds.

Good info on the pattern though... Can we get pics?

Catch It

Reaction score
Not much practice on pics but here goes:

Here's my plain Jane workhorse smolt fly.
View attachment 47807

Here's my version with some upgraded eyes and a hearl lateral line
View attachment 47808

As said, there's a million variations and all of then work, but this is my quick tie pattern, it throws well, cuts a nice outline, pushes enough water without riding up and more importantly, I have confidence in it, which seems to make any pattern fish better.

Catch It

Reaction score
Retry on pics

Retry on pics

P4140101.JPG
Here's the upgraded pattern

P4140105.JPG
Here's both bracketing some pretty sweet proving grounds for smolt patterns

G_Smolt

Reaction score
SmoltySnack.

schmolt-sm.jpg

In my experience, color and profile are the two most important triggers - all other things being equal.

The secondary triggers of large eyes and parr marks are often the difference between a few takes and a lot of takes.

The tertiary triggers of body glimmer and opacity, as well as the red throat tell of a turning smolt, are sort of "black belt in Fly-Geek" things, but they do contribute to the fly.

The single most important aspect of alevin/parr/smolt imitation lies in how and where you fish them, and I would hold that responsible for about 75-80% of their effectiveness - the rest is just geek stuff.

dmahay

Reaction score
Well scott, the problem comes down to ethics.

If your fishing for trout, then the godliness route is to fish barbless, regardless of what the all knowing Alaska DNR tells you through the regs. So, the quandry of your question once again comes to presentation...casting and presenting an Alevin to a trout is really tough to do with a barbless hook!

Then again, thats what those centerpin setups are really good for!

George Riddle

Reaction score
Scott-rn, tha is just harresy and you should be punished harshly.

Wouldn't a worm hook with the barbs on the back shank be a better tool? (did I say that out loud?)

Out wandering a valley stream and got to observe some fry, found a couple dead so looked at them close. Battle creek is pretty darn close size 8 with very slight par marks up towards the head/eyes...

Not enough water to hold trout but smolt/fry was working. Didn't get a close look but an occasional caddis might have been coming off. Did see a cream midge type adult maybe size 22....

Good to get the waders wet.

George

AKGrayling

Reaction score
George, glad to hear I'm not the only one out fishing and not catching!
G Smolt, would you mind sharing the material you used on the wing of your fly? The fly looks great!
Thanks,
Riley

George Riddle

Reaction score
NIce tie 900, how does that run? In my over-engineering mind it looks like it would run up side down with the down turned eye.

George