SHOULD ONLINE REPORTING BE REQUIRED?

mark knapp

Reaction score
Of course I would be OK with that, and pay attention here as I did not say I opposed reporting online, only MANDATORY reporting, there is a difference.

FYI, currently you can get a permit at F&G or online... just what is your point?
I agree with you. There have been times I could not make reports on line due to one imperfection or another. Sometimes it was from my home Main frame computer.

On line reporting of any kind should never be mandatory any where for anything until the unline method was as dependable as snail mail or the land line phone. Threats against your future us of the resource because of failure to report on a less than perfect platform is totally out of line. In fact, it kind of makes a joke of the whole process.

bottom_dweller

Reaction score
This information that you report,however you report, it will be used either for you or against you. If you don’t report your catch thinking you’re getting over on the F&G, future seasons will reflect those nonreported harvests in smaller bag limits, less time ect. Some of those shimp openings in Washington are literally hours.

Akgramps

Reaction score
This information that you report,however you report, it will be used either for you or against you. If you don’t report your catch thinking you’re getting over on the F&G, future seasons will reflect those nonreported harvests in smaller bag limits, less time ect. Some of those shimp openings in Washington are literally hours.
This is true, its a honor system, which some are not, for no good reason as you indicated

catchfish

Reaction score
Of course I would be OK with that, and pay attention here as I did not say I opposed reporting online, only MANDATORY reporting, there is a difference.

FYI, currently you can get a permit at F&G or online... just what is your point?
I guess what I’m getting at is fish and game will help you report if you go into an office, or you can do it online. Just like getting a permit so I don’t see why a mandatory online is a problem at all. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

mark knapp

Reaction score
I guess what I’m getting at is fish and game will help you report if you go into an office, or you can do it online. Just like getting a permit so I don’t see why a mandatory online is a problem at all. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.
Sometimes it is not possible to report online due to software or hardware limitations where some people are so it should never be mandatory.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes it is not possible to report online due to software or hardware limitations where some people are so it should never be mandatory.
It is akin to the state requiring GPS coordinates of bait stations in some areas. If you're really good with a map OK. Otherwise, the State is requiring a person to purchase a device that gives them coords. Applying also means I have to own a printer and a scanner to sign and send it back. Making regulations based on where one person lives and has access to technology and the ability to purchase, instead of where "all" Alaskans have the same abilities is probably wrong.

mark knapp

Reaction score
It is akin to the state requiring GPS coordinates of bait stations in some areas. If you're really good with a map OK. Otherwise, the State is requiring a person to purchase a device that gives them coords. Applying also means I have to own a printer and a scanner to sign and send it back. Making regulations based on where one person lives and has access to technology and the ability to purchase, instead of where "all" Alaskans have the same abilities is probably wrong.
I live in Fairbanks and have tried to report my Chitina catch on-line as is required by law (under penalty of law and at risk of losing my Chitina privileges). I was not able to do it with my mainframe computer from my desk in Fairbanks. After three attempt, I went to the down and was able to do it with the Departments PC with help from the agent.

Before anything like that became mandatory, it needs to be easy and flawless. It is not easy and flawless.

I am fairly estute on the computer and make a good bit of my living maintaining my business on the internet. I don't, however, run out and buy the newest operating systems when they come out. On-line reporting is a less than perfect system. No where near being suitable for mandatory reporting.

Akgramps

Reaction score
Are you somehow challenged......?

Your #39 post questions is about as dumb as they get, to suggest that permits are only available through one means is like saying you can shop online but have to have it shipped that same way, IOW, you cant order and purchase a item from HD or Lowes and then go pick it up, you have to have it delivered. Would you agree or disagree?

The point is reporting online via computer, smartypants phone or F&G office should NOT be mandatory. Just what role do any of these devices become necessary for the taking of game?, What, if anything do they have to do with hunting and fishing?

Don't bother replying with the fact you use your GPS on your phone so you dont get lost, smart thinking..... its not required you have a GPS to hunt. Electronic devices, internet are there as a source of information and convivence, should one CHOOSE to use them, they are not REQUIRED... do I have to say it again?

These things have worked their way into our lives. however they have a insidious side to them, (if you dont understand that, then there is no hope for you to understand any of this). At this point its merely a cost savings for F&G, which I get and would be glad to help, just dont make it MANDATORY. As it is I send my report to Jay B and let him fill in the blanks and express my displeasure at the mandatory request... dont worry its all a very respectful discourse as Jay understands and is very much the polite person.... Others are more dense

Last edited:

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
regardless of if and when something gets changed some people will be upset and some will be happy depending on how it fits your narrative. I like the coordinates for a bait station topic. I would bet there isnt one guy out there computing lats and longs off of a quad map and then sending them into FnG. I realize that is not what is being discussed but its along the same lines. mandatory online reporting or not i think there has to be a mid season turn in and if you dont get your permit turned in by that time you should be able to shrimp the next season. Online reporting would make it alot cheaper for the FnG and maybe allow them to spend that money in better ways then tallying up caught shrimp by hand instead of through an online system.

catchfish

Reaction score
Maybe I am challenged, and did not understand the point of this post at all. I’m plenty happy to not try and help or take part in a conversation that seems to be pointless to me.
Would you clarify your point to me one more time? Do you not want to report at all, or don’t want to report online? If you feel like this is a waste of your time to respond cordially then have a good day. I will bow out of this conversation and leave you to converse with others.

Here is my 39 post
“If you can get a permit online then you should be able to report online. If you can get a permit in person then you should be able to report in person. Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?”

The last sentence was written because I thought you were advocating that driving to a computer was a difficult task and it could be for some. But I thought driving to shrimping grounds pretty much puts you on the highway near fish and game offices, or great internet access. Maybe I am confused, the smart phone I’m using now is probably poisoning my brain.

Akgramps

Reaction score
Maybe I am challenged, and did not understand the point of this post at all. I’m plenty happy to not try and help or take part in a conversation that seems to be pointless to me.
Would you clarify your point to me one more time? Do you not want to report at all, or don’t want to report online? If you feel like this is a waste of your time to respond cordially then have a good day. I will bow out of this conversation and leave you to converse with others.

Here is my 39 post
“If you can get a permit online then you should be able to report online. If you can get a permit in person then you should be able to report in person. Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?”

The last sentence was written because I thought you were advocating that driving to a computer was a difficult task and it could be for some. But I thought driving to shrimping grounds pretty much puts you on the highway near fish and game offices, or great internet access. Maybe I am confused, the smart phone I’m using now is probably poisoning my brain.
LOL,
Trying to decide if you are pulling my leg here, I thought I pretty well spelled it out.

First post "I question the state's wisdom in requiring online reporting, certainly it can be a option, personally I think it should be a choice"

I think this was stated pretty straightforward.

To be clear:
  • Should online reporting be mandatory?
  • I am ok with a option to report online.
Never said I did not want to report, in fact I agreed that more frequent reporting could be beneficial to F&G's management of this species.

#39, still makes no sense, get permit online or at F&G, perfectly OK.....Report online or at F&G or mail in, this also makes sense.

"Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?",
Are you serious with this statement or simply trying to be adversarial?
If you are serious then please refer to post #50.

catchfish

Reaction score
"Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?",

Not adversarial at all just a question. I understood what you wrote as a fact that you didn’t want to do things online, because internet connection was difficult. I was merely pointing out that it seemed like you were ok with getting the permit online but not the reporting. I may have misread your intentions.

I can agree with you as well more reporting could be beneficial as well. I must have missed that you are specifically disappointed that we can’t report by mail.
Ok with reporting by mail “yes”
Ok with reporting by internet “yes”
Not ok with inability to report by mail.

We are getting on the same page now. Nice that we can talk and have a conversation about it.

Thank You

Akgramps

Reaction score

Not adversarial at all just a question. I understood what you wrote as a fact that you didn’t want to do things online, because internet connection was difficult. I was merely pointing out that it seemed like you were ok with getting the permit online but not the reporting. I may have misread your intentions.

I can agree with you as well more reporting could be beneficial as well. I must have missed that you are specifically disappointed that we can’t report by mail.
Ok with reporting by mail “yes”
Ok with reporting by internet “yes”
Not ok with inability to report by mail.

We are getting on the same page now. Nice that we can talk and have a conversation about it.

Thank You
Sure, I never said that MY internet connection is difficult, I can report online and probably will, to do my part.
I can use these devices just fine, I just dont agree with making them mandatory. that's it...

Latest posts