SHOULD ONLINE REPORTING BE REQUIRED?

Akgramps

Reaction score
Since the reporting for PWS shrimp is counted in gallons of whole shrimp and since most people have absolutely no idea what 1 gallon of whole shrimp is, I tend to think that most recreational shrimpers do what most recreational fishermen do and they stretch the truth. I'm such a good shrimper I caught 5 gallons of shrimp in one pull, or I caught 15 gallons of shrimp in one day, when in fact they caught a 5 gallon bucket full of water with 2 gallons of shrimp. I know some who "catch" an impossible number of shrimp and I have no doubt they report it.
Laughing..!

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you just said you fill your freezer with shrimp because of where you choose to live.
No. No. No. It's like the conversation I had at dinner the other night:
Did you get any blueberries this year?
Yes, I got 2 gallons.
(Sigh) We didn't get any.
Where did you go?
We didn't go.

4merguide

Reaction score
So you would require everyone to own a computer, be a computer literate and have a internet connection in order to hunt/fish ( harvest) game legally?

Most but not all are comfortable with computers, but not everyone has internet service, I get it as a option, but mandatory is a step too far for FS&G.
IMHO
I totally agree with you. Some people just don't have the need nor desire to have computers in their life, and that doesn't make them a bad or illiterate person in anyway shape or form. Option yes, mandatory no.

potbuilder

Reaction score
Every body has a cell phone so reporting daily should be no problem. A 12 year old could make a phone app for a simple reporting process. Just let F&G know what ya caught for the day, then they would have a running number of what is caught for the season and when the catch is close to the quota give it 3-5 more days and shut it down for the year. Really quite simple.

anchskier

Reaction score
Every body has a cell phone so reporting daily should be no problem. A 12 year old could make a phone app for a simple reporting process. Just let F&G know what ya caught for the day, then they would have a running number of what is caught for the season and when the catch is close to the quota give it 3-5 more days and shut it down for the year. Really quite simple.
Everyone may have a cell phone, but there are a lot of areas that have zero cell phone coverage. Unless they are expected to have a satellite phone or use something like an Inreach to send a message back to another person to file a report for them, daily reporting isn't quite as easy as you make it out to be.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Everyone may have a cell phone, but there are a lot of areas that have zero cell phone coverage. Unless they are expected to have a satellite phone or use something like an Inreach to send a message back to another person to file a report for them, daily reporting isn't quite as easy as you make it out to be.
Yup. I'm all for periodic reporting throughout the season, but daily reporting from the water is not viable. I spend multiple days at a time on PWS and have zero coverage beyond sight of the harbor.

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
After giving it more thought i think they should implement atleast a mid season reporting. If a person who shrimps cant figure out a way to report more then once a year they maybe they shouldnt be shrimping. I feel like people just like to come up with excuses to why they cant do it more then once a year (and all their excuses boil down to being lazy or just dont want to do it)

potbuilder

Reaction score
i'm sure most of the sound has coverage and if its a dead spot then just go around the corner to get a signal. All i hear from lots of my customers is how they use their phones to navigate around the sound so i'd think it ain't that hard to send in a trip report. I'm sure if they needed to call seatow they would somehow figure out a way to call them. Ok lets make it within 24 hours of ending the fishing trip or send in the report just before ya pull into the harbor. They make the comm guys jump thru all kinds of BS reporting before they land their catch so then it should also be required for the rec guys to do the same. Believe me i HATE ALL GOV'T regulations but if ya want this fishery to continue it needs some better ways of reporting the catch. P9280008.JPG

Last edited:

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
you can use your phone to navigate without cell service. When cruising around i have my plotter going with the map as well as my phone in the holder with its own map.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
you can use your phone to navigate without cell service. When cruising around i have my plotter going with the map as well as my phone in the holder with its own map.
Cool for you. Can't do that with my phone. Also totally off topic.

Periodic reporting throughout the season should be mandatory...whether via internet, or check stations at ports, or both. Personally, i'd like to see check stations at ports.

Akgramps

Reaction score
Most of the sound does have coverage, but that can vary depending on your provider, there are numerous dead spots, at least that's been my experience. And if I am back in Unakwik I have to go quite a ways out before I get service, sometimes the weather is less than ideal for me in my boat, and it takes fuel to do so. At $6 bucks a gallon a hour of running around just to report is not something I am inclined to do.

Yes, most people have cell phones, regardless, I dont agree that cell phones or computers should be required to take game.

I agree that reporting should be done more frequently, in reference to PWS and that fact it is accessed by one of three locations and primarily two.....As iofthetiaga said could F&G have a kiosk at/near the harbor to report?

If someone failed to report at the end of a trip how would F&G know or enforce..?

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
Cool for you. Can't do that with my phone. Also totally off topic.

Periodic reporting throughout the season should be mandatory...whether via internet, or check stations at ports, or both. Personally, i'd like to see check stations at ports.
not really off topic since potbuilder claimed you get service all over the sound (so daily reporting shouldnt be a issue) because his clients say they use their phones to navigate.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of holes in the coverage out there. My bear stands are within line-of-sight of a tower, and I can rarely call or text from there. My favorite shrimping hole, I have to travel 10 miles out to get texting but no internet. At today's fuel prices I'm not doing that.

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Coverage in the Sound totally depends on provider - or, at least it did in prior years. AT&T has had great service for years, at least in the Western Sound. GCI has been very, very limited. And as others have noted, further up into various bays and fjords even AT&T has no coverage.

Post-trip reporting seems like it would be a reasonable alternative. Maybe within 5 days of landing shrimp?

catchfish

Reaction score
If you can get a permit online then you should be able to report online. If you can get a permit in person then you should be able to report in person. Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?

Akgramps

Reaction score
If you can get a permit online then you should be able to report online. If you can get a permit in person then you should be able to report in person. Would you also opposed then if fish and game said fine you can only get a permit in our office then?
Of course I would be OK with that, and pay attention here as I did not say I opposed reporting online, only MANDATORY reporting, there is a difference.

FYI, currently you can get a permit at F&G or online... just what is your point?