Short Kenai documentary

fishermanjake

Reaction score
I put together a little informational piece on the types of fishing that happen on the Kenai. I’m not trying to cause controversy, just trying to show people the importance of each type. Everyone wants their piece of the action so it’s easy to forget the big picture. Enjoy!

fishak

Reaction score
Very informative video. My only comment is that it could get confusing for people when you mention subsistence and personal use. They are different regulations, and people may think that they are the same.

fishermanjake

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell which facts are correct on over escapement because of political nature of the article. 15 or so percent of studies came back showing over escapement adversely affected fry health, so I would hardly say that theory is debunked. Fish and game manages the runs according to that science and have done a fairly good job maintaining strong returns of sockeye in recent history. Decreasing net depth is certainly a good option to save kings as well as an optional state buyout. As for the kings they also fall to other fisheries in the Bering sea and needs to be managed back to health. No easy solutions. However doing away with the commercial fleet is not a reasonable solution for the Kenai...the main point in that part of the video. One other point, the state manages these things much better than the feds despite their mistakes.