Sheep taxidermy recommendation

akprideinvegas

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Looking for a recommendation on a sheep taxidermist. I'm in anchorage but will take where needed if I connect this year. I've changing taxidermists and have had minimal time in town to check shops out.

Thanks

kahahawai

Reaction score
Dan Williams of "Wildlife Artistry" in Palmer (907) 746-3922 does phenomenal sheep/goat mounts, and has won numerous awards here at Alaska SCI, he is currently doing a habitat lifesize ram for my wife.

He is @ the Matsu Sportsmans show every year.

Sapper 27

Reaction score
Rich Hamilton @ Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole. He has sheep down to a science. Won't use anyone else. I'm sure there are several well accomplished artists in the state though. image.jpg

driveacub

Reaction score
I strongly recommend that you stop and see Foster's taxidermy near Wasilla. I believe that you will be pleased there.

AZinAK

Reaction score
I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK

Reaction score
If you take your sheep to Larry McMurphy at Woodland Taxidermy in Wasilla it will get mounted by Robert Holshouser. Robert is the only person to win a world championship with a dall sheep. If you want to see the sheep ,an example of Robert's work, it is in the Millennium Hotel at Lake hood. It is lifesize in a glass case. Besides having Robert mount your sheep, it will likely come back in 6 months or less because my understanding is that all Robert does these days is sheep. I took Larry a sheep a few years back in September and had it in hand by January. Some years, they are done before Christmas.

ak_cowboy

Reaction score
Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo

JuliW

Reaction score
Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo

Fosters does great sheep and I would highly recommend him.. I may be biased, because I learned what I know from him :)....

The big thing about choosing a taxidermist is to actually see their work in person... and take some printed photos of LIVE animals...close ups of the faces at various angles... compare the photos to the mounts.

Going by what 'lay people' say just doesn't work...80% of non taxidermists can't tell the difference between good and excellent taxidermy (or even 'fair' and 'excellent' taxidermy... I am not saying that is wrong, it just is...that is because the 'artistic' side of putting a mount together is learned over a long period of time and with experience and desire to do better with every mount...it is detail that makes a mount stand apart from others...... Anyone can put a skin and eyes and some clay on a form and sew it up...That is 'labor'...making it come to life...well...that is art, in the truest sense.

Hughiam

Reaction score
IMG_0101.jpg

While not a dalls sheep. This short haired sheep shows off the anatomy and detail.
Hugh

mtnclimber

Reaction score
I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK

+1 on Dave. I've seen 25 + sheep he's done and in my mind they are by far the best most lifelike mounts. he's a great guy to work with.

Jerod

Reaction score
Dahlberg's in Wasilla. He's done a few critters for me now and I've seen some of his sheep work. Very good quality. Jesse is Hoytguy on here. I'm bringing him a grizzly to shoulder mount, and he has done a caribou, musk ox and half mount mountain goat for me in the last couple years.

polardds

Reaction score
Foster's. Great to work with. Not afraid to show off his work at the shop. If you want your mount to last and not fall apart take it to Dan!!!

magpie

Reaction score
80% of non taxidermists can't tell the difference between good and excellent taxidermy

I would say at least 80% of taxidermists cannot tell the difference between their taxidermy and excellent taxidermy either.

I would say that number reaches closer to 95% when you start talking cat mounts. Many a bobcat, lynx or mountain lion has been ruined once it was put into the hands of a taxidermist.

JuliW

Reaction score
I would say at least 80% of taxidermists cannot tell the difference between their taxidermy and excellent taxidermy either.

I would say that number reaches closer to 95% when you start talking cat mounts. Many a bobcat, lynx or mountain lion has been ruined once it was put into the hands of a taxidermist.

Many taxidermists or some? I would venture to say that some taxidermists do wear rose colored glasses...and MANY are their own worst critics. Anyone who comes to my shop and asks me to point out mistakes I made or to critique my own work, I would gladly do so. Perfect, I am not..nor is any taxidermist.... I strive for excellence but my idea of excellence may not be the same as someone else's idea of excellence.

Attachments

• 20140502_153535.jpg
    20140502_153535.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_159761552085992.jpg
    IMG_159761552085992.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0

Hoytguy

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks Jerod,

I only do 5-6 sheep a year, here's the last one, picked up Saturday. 39" brooks ram

Dahlbergs Taxidermy