Seward in September

wolf0994

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, my wife and I are going to seward for our anniversary next weekend and we'll be taking our 22 foot ocean boat, but haven't launched there before. I would appreciate some tips on a couple things. I don't expect or even want anyone's spots.

First, just curious if the fishing in res bay or just outside in the fjords is decent this late?

Second, have read by others once you get out of the bay it can be pretty rough, so not planning on running to Montague, but are the fjords area ok in terms of seas?

Third, I have a shrimp permit, ends the 15th, are there numbers enough to warrant hauling the gear down? We're coming from Fairbanks. I've heard numbers are low.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to PM if you'd rather.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Shrimping ends next Thursday so the season will be over by next weekend. Maybe others have fished there.

akdeweyj

Reaction score
You will be limited by the weather in Seward just like any other saltwater port so the further you get from port, the worse the weather can get with higher winds & seas typically found South of Caines Head and/or Callisto Head. Good news is if you want to go salmon fishing, most of the time you won't need to go south of Caines Head to find them. Bad news is if you are bent on fishing for white fish, you're gonna really need to pay close attention to the wind direction forecast in marine wx report for Cape Cleare to Gore Point if you want to get out of the bay. An east wind outside the bay becomes a south wind inside the bay & makes for an uncomfortable trip while bucking the tide.:coldfrown:

Gambler

Reaction score
Hi Wolf

I wouldn't hassle with the shrimp pots, definitely not worth the time or energy.

As far as fishing:

(1) Silvers are still being caught both inside and outside the bay, with most people focusing their efforts inside. The limits are 6 inside the bay with only 3 outside the bay.

(2) While you can catch halibut inside the bay -- off the points, around the islands, pinnacles -- most people target halibut outside the bay. Generally, the further from Seward, the more likely you are to get into them.

(3) Ling cod can be kept if caught outside the bay. The minimum length is 35 inches and if you do catch and keep one outside the bay, you are precluded from fishing anywhere inside. And as seems to be the case with most fishing, reliable producing locations are generally quite a ways from Seward (45+ miles)

(4) Rockfish can be caught anywhere where you can find structure. I usually fish for them off of points.

As I'm sure you know, you will be limited by the weather more than anything else. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, you should be able to find protected pockets from which to fish.

- Gambler