Self defense classes

Chez

Reaction score
I'm interested in taking a self defense class for handguns and Majority Arms are the only ones I can find online. Has anyone here used them for any of their classes and what did you think? Is anyone else in the state doing this?

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I'm interested in taking a self defense class for handguns and Majority Arms are the only ones I can find online. Has anyone here used them for any of their classes and what did you think? Is anyone else in the state doing this?
Lots of people running these classes. I've hosted Spectre Tactical here in Dillingham this past November for a concealed carry course as well as a defensive shooting course. Learned quite a bit, especially when it came to grip. I'm prior military and law enforcement.

If you are are interested in contacting Spectre, send me a PM and I can give you his contact info. He's on Facebook and based out of anchorage. We plan on bringing him back to Dillingham in May to do a carbine course and possibly a co-ed defensive shooting course.

JOAT

Reaction score
Majority Arms runs a great class. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They are GunSite-trained instructors and they are following the current standards in tactical pistol instruction. I'm an instructor (trained by Jeff Hall from AST academy) and I took their CCW class a couple years ago. They are teaching pretty much exactly what I teach and they have some great range equipment including a very realistic 21' bear charge target. They have a range in Sterling with a pneumatic target system. I understand they are now using the clubhouse at Snowshoe Gun Club to do some of their classes as well.

From all accounts, their women's class is top notch and it is generally booked full months in advance. If you know any ladies that want to learn how to shoot, send them to Brenda at Majority Arms. They run the ladies through their own separate range sessions devoid of all male shooters. It creates a very positive range environment absent of a bunch of dudes who think they know it all and try to show off.

They have also been bringing in specialty instructors from outside to supplement various tactical rifle classes. I've been waiting for my work schedule to mesh up with one of those offerings. No matter how good you think you are, getting in practice time with other instructors is always a good thing and even a know-it-all will end up learning a tip or two.

Amigo Will

Reaction score
Awareness training should be number one and then self defence. Self defence should be 60% firearm and 40% clearing yourself to bring the firearm in play if still needed. When I taught classes one of the first things I would ask is how many of you have stepped in dog crap recently or put a bubble gum phone to your ear, most all raised their hand and said they hated dogs craping everywhere. I would then say if you don't know you are about to step in a pile of crap right in front of you are you sure you will know you have a problem a hundred feet away and need a gun. We would then start training on awareness. JMOFO

JOAT

Reaction score
And the majority of self-defense shootings happen at "dog crap stepping" distance. But I never see people at the range practicing on targets that are only an arm's length away. One of the shooting techniques I always teach is an offhand punch to the face simultaneous with a rapid draw, rocking sights onto the target from the hip, and then shooting while moving backwards. It's the most likely self-defense scenario in the real world, but one that most people never train for.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
I have done more shooting at 15' and under with a hand gun then at an other range and much of it one handed. I have seen good instructors and I have seen some that had egos bigger then a battle ship. So as good as training is, research who you would give your money to. I have only heard good about Jeff Hall, but I do not think I ever met him.

As far as men and women shooting in class together, I will stick with the men. Every instructor I have been around always paid more attention to the lady shooters then the men. That is just my experience. Yes, there are plenty of 12 year old girls who can out shoot me.

If I was younger and more agile I would try to go through a class with Travis Haley of Haley Strategic. I think he is the "real deal".

Amigo Will

Reaction score
Yep offhand punch or arm sweep to your weak side bringing gun to bear and open exit to right or left.

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
Awareness training should be number one and then self defence. Self defence should be 60% firearm and 40% clearing yourself to bring the firearm in play if still needed. When I taught classes one of the first things I would ask is how many of you have stepped in dog crap recently or put a bubble gum phone to your ear, most all raised their hand and said they hated dogs craping everywhere. I would then say if you don't know you are about to step in a pile of crap right in front of you are you sure you will know you have a problem a hundred feet away and need a gun. We would then start training on awareness. JMOFO

I am always having family telling me that I'm paranoid and I tell them paranoid is reacting with out a threat. Watching for that threat is just being cautious and that I am.

I was in Elkhart and South Bend Indiana the last three days. I got to drive by Elkhart counties new 1000 cell jail(which has occupants in 964 cells). When we are to the point where the largest municipal building in the county is the jail then caution is warranted!

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
Yep offhand punch or arm sweep to your weak side bringing gun to bear and open exit to right or left.

Ha! you make me laugh Will! If your like my Nam Vet buddies then most of the time the off hand punch ends the aggression right then and there! I have never ever seen my buddy Frank start anything but if they get within arms reach he don't need no gun!That jungle warfare stuff is some serious do do! The amazing thing is he could always sense it coming. He said it was a sixth sense that came from laying on the jungle floor while VC strolled by within arms reach.

I haven't seen Frank much in the last 25 years, not since I started a family and learned to fear God and stay out of those old haunts. Frank lives in a cabin on the Cedar River....think I'll go pay him a visit. Gonna let him know that I'm coming though cuz sneakin up on him ain't possible and at 68 I'm betting he could still take care of business.....and I don't want to be on the other end of it! A man's gotta know his limitations!