Secrets for vaccum packing shrimp with the shell on?

AKArcher

Reaction score
Short of using the foam plates sold by Alaska Butcher, anyone have a way to vacuum pack shrimp in the shell (heads off) without the bags being poked by the shells?

dangus

Reaction score
I use freezer paper cut to the size of the bag, make sure the slick side is turned inside and seal away. My buddy buys french fry trays at costco, fills 'em and puts another tray on top, then seals. We both have the VacMaster VP210 and it's sweet!!

sweepint

Reaction score
I have for several years just put them in a vacuum bag fill with water and run it throe the chamber vac then freeze. This will protect the shrimp form freezer burning as well. You can not run the bag of water in a regular vacuum sealer it has to be a chamber vacuum

JR2

Reaction score
Go to AK Butcher Supply and buy a roll of bone guard. It's a heavy plastic that you can line the inside of your vac bags with to prevent punctures. It's a bit tedious when loading the bags but it works good.

Swissy

Reaction score
I just get the bigassed roll of butcher paper at Costco, and if I roll the shrimp 2 times in the paper so it's double thick, I have never had one leak air. I don't bother with the water or other things like that. I had tried paper plates (too much space taken up in freezer) and the foam plates (more expensive and wife developed an allergy to styrofoam)

potbuilder

Reaction score
The secret is not to bag them just freeze in a container of water, no holes, no freezer burn and they stay frozen and act like ice gel packs on those long plane rides when going outside !!

stid2677

Reaction score
Secrets for vaccum packing shrimp with the shell on?

The secret is not to bag them just freeze in a container of water, no holes, no freezer burn and they stay frozen and act like ice gel packs on those long plane rides when going outside !!

+1,,,best way I have found.

py7e6e8y.jpg

Last edited:

jrogers

Reaction score
Yes, I endorse Potbuilders way. I got the square 1qt freezer containers, freeze the shrimp in water, and then after they are frozen remove them from the container with a little warm water and wrap them in saran rap. I then put a set of two of these in an 11" vacuum seal bag and seal them for extra protection. They last all winter this way in perfect condition. I think Steve wrote this method up here a couple of years ago and I started doing that. It works great.

potbuilder

Reaction score
Yes, I endorse Potbuilders way. I got the square 1qt freezer containers, freeze the shrimp in water, and then after they are frozen remove them from the container with a little warm water and wrap them in saran rap. I then put a set of two of these in an 11" vacuum seal bag and seal them for extra protection. They last all winter this way in perfect condition. I think Steve wrote this method up here a couple of years ago and I started doing that. It works great.

The plastic containers/molds and freezing in water works great for me, i bet the extra bagging really makes them keep well.

270ti

Reaction score
I'm with potbuilder. It's really easy to freeze them in the disposable tupperware type containers. They stack well in the freezer too.

potbuilder

Reaction score
I'm with potbuilder. It's really easy to freeze them in the disposable tupperware type containers. They stack well in the freezer too.

I only use the containers as molds then take the shrimpblocks out of them wrap in saran warp and build a block wall of shrimp in the freezer.

Bullelkklr

Reaction score
+++ What he said!

I just get the bigassed roll of butcher paper at Costco, and if I roll the shrimp 2 times in the paper so it's double thick, I have never had one leak air. I don't bother with the water or other things like that. I had tried paper plates (too much space taken up in freezer) and the foam plates (more expensive and wife developed an allergy to styrofoam)

excav8tr

Reaction score
Same thing works well for shelled crab too. Especially of you freeze in milk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ira

Reaction score
I just make an envelope out of freezer paper like mentioned above with the shiny side in and then vac them... no popped bags, they last all winter in 1# servings and they stack really nice... View attachment 79388

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Why not just use cardboard milk cartons. Cut the top off, put shrimp in, cover with water. Perfect rectangle every time and free. That is if you drink milk. Does not work well with beer bottles. :)