Sea ducks

catchfish

Reaction score
Has anybody been out of homer yet this year for sea ducks. I was wondering if any have migrated in yet.

flyguy

Reaction score
Hunted there last weekend. Quite a few sea ducks in the Seldovia area. Still plenty of Mallards, Pintails and Teal as well.

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
Was down there last weekend. Not as many ducks around as I hoped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Not sure about Homer, but in Seward/Resurrection Bay they are coming in strong. Been seeing lots of harlequin, merganser, surf scoter, goldeneye, bufflehead out in the bay. Been getting some good days out there and some nice ducks!

Has anybody been out of homer yet this year for sea ducks. I was wondering if any have migrated in yet.

Bullelkklr

Reaction score
Do you hunt out of layouts? Sometimes getting to shore in seward can be tough with the swell.

Any chance I can get a Puffin ? I really want one on the wall. :)

Reaction score
Do you hunt out of layouts? Sometimes getting to shore in seward can be tough with the swell.

Any chance I can get a Puffin ? I really want one on the wall. :)

Never done it that way yet. Usually we just hit the shore in the grasses and wait for them. Always wanted to try that though.

Daveintheburbs

Reaction score
How do you guys cook them so they are edible? I was taught the board method, bake them on a board, throw away the scoter and eat the board.

Bullelkklr

Reaction score
I took my new to me searunner to shore one time in seward - swell hit me and turned me sideways and the next one filled the back of the boat up with water. I had trimmed up and shut the motor off. I got the kicker started and backed out and pumped bilge pumped water for 20 minutes. I won't be doing that again. The swells didn't look like much and I was used to taking my zodiac right up on shore. We did NOT get the bear.

If folks are in a small boat they should be very careful and use a dinghy to get to shore.

KasitsnaBay

Reaction score
A fair number just showing up in the bay (Kasitsna). Cut the breasts up into small pieces, brown in a skillet, cook them in a chowder just like you would do a seafood recipe. If you've acquired the taste for sea ducks just skip the chowder part and put them on a plate of rice.

catchfish

Reaction score
We went out and hunted the bay on a late day Friday hunt and on Saturday morning. I would say birds have not showed up yet thick I’m use to seeing a few more birds than we saw but we still had plenty of shooting saturday was 26 birds taken and had to quit shorting harlies and pick out the scoters. Did not hammer the golden eyes like we normally do.