Savage 99 .358 Win

sayak

Reaction score
I dunno, maybe this. Mine needs the thingy moved over too, and the last round gets stuck before chambering. The experts over on Savage Collectors say that I need to clean and/or re-time my rotor. Sounds complex. But the gun is nearly seventy years old and handles and fires like a dream, so happy, happy, happy!

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
Catch It,
Recoil isn't bad. The 275 grain handloads feel like the 200 grain handloads, when it was a 308 win. I don't use a recoil pad.

Sayak,

AK custom firearms are going to re-tension my rotary mag spring. It's pretty simple I guess, they just give the rotary spring another rotation. Probably a good idea when you start getting into heavier bullets on a 30 year old spring, or my case, a 48 year old spring. I bet alot of gunk will also have to be cleaned out. I'm getting a new finish put on mine, so figured the gunsmith may as well do the re-tension of the spring while it's in pieces.

Catch It

Reaction score
Yeah, my spring is probably going on 63 (1951 serial) unless it's been replaced. I'll have to tolerate it this season and send it on to someone after Jan. 1.

But mine is plenty dirty still after a two hour swab........may need to get it profesionally cleaned once disassembled.

8mmRem

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the 225 grain Buffalo Bore and bullet. I will probably try a box, but to be honest I am a fan of Swift A Frames and will do some load development with them.

BrownBear

Reaction score
Long as we're talking alternative bullets, I'll add a sleeper to the list. I hesitate to do it, because someone might beat me to a few dusty boxes on the back of a shelf somewhere. And believe me, I'm always on the alert for them.

Once upon a time Winchester made 250 grain .358 SilverTips. You might run across a stray box of 200's now and then, but the 250's are really scarce.

I know, I know.... SilverTips were no one's favorite, right? That's cuzz most folks never got to try heavy ones at the moderate velocities of a 250 in the 358. More's the pity for them, because they really missed out. I only ever managed to recover three of the 250's from game (elk and moose). None were shot past 100 yards, and all were angling shots. Broadside shots always produced two holes. None of the recovered 250's weigh less than 200 grains, and they expand just enough for a heck of a wound channel. A loooong wound channel. Still one of the best performing bullets I've ever used in a 358. I'm down to my last two unopened boxes, and there's a few of them rattling around in a third box. Bout time I got better acquainted with some of the other 250's out there, but the price is going to be a heck of a shock. I paid less than $10 a box for all of my 250 STs.

BTW- The 200 grain ST is no slouch either. Only ever recovered one of those after an endo shot on a large buck at 80 yards. Hit at the base of the tail and passed full length through the buck, up into it's neck, and stopping on the corner of it's lower jaw. Final weight was 138 grains. I can't complain about that, either.

8mmRem

Reaction score
Well I finally got the 99 in hand and I did well metal is excellent and wood is 90 percent nothing deeper than the finish, sling is good and the weaver scope isn't top line but in very good condition. I do like the way the rifle shoulders and points. In all honesty I can understand how the design prospered for a 100 yrs. I am on the job but when I get home I see some dies and powder in the future.

BrownBear

Reaction score
I do like the way the rifle shoulders and points. In all honesty I can understand how the design prospered for a 100 yrs.

Just wait till you pop the scope off and shoulder it. Then you'll REALLY understand! :lol:

8mmRem

Reaction score
I all ready took the scope off and that's what I meant. I am not even sure I will scope this rifle as my intended purpose for it is to carry berry picking or when I am tramping around. I did think of a 45-70 as I stated but as mentioned in one of the posts here a 275 grain bullet at 2200 ft per second is respectable.

BrownBear

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. For the ultimate in 99 handling, try a receiver sight on it. Heaven!

pinehavensredrocket

Reaction score
hey bb; i think the .358 winchester has been underrated since it's inception. the .35 cal bullet in 200 gr - 250gr round nose or spire point moving at 2600fps is a deadly combination !

using my browning blr as an example, it has been used on deer and elk with results more in keeping with the venerable .35 whelen.
all that punch in a .308 class case is remarkable to some, but not to folks that use them.
attachment.php

sayak

Reaction score
Catch It,
Recoil isn't bad. The 275 grain handloads feel like the 200 grain handloads, when it was a 308 win. I don't use a recoil pad.

Sayak,

AK custom firearms are going to re-tension my rotary mag spring. It's pretty simple I guess, they just give the rotary spring another rotation. Probably a good idea when you start getting into heavier bullets on a 30 year old spring, or my case, a 48 year old spring. I bet alot of gunk will also have to be cleaned out. I'm getting a new finish put on mine, so figured the gunsmith may as well do the re-tension of the spring while it's in pieces.
Did you get your magazine timed? If so, how much $$$? I noticed that my mag doesn't feed right since I got my action back from JES. I have to rotate it by hand (finger) to put in the 1st round. The rounds do chamber well though.

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
Did you get your magazine timed? If so, how much $$$? I noticed that my mag doesn't feed right since I got my action back from JES. I have to rotate it by hand (finger) to put in the 1st round. The rounds do chamber well though.
I apologize for the late reply, I'm hardly ever on the forum anymore, too busy. I did get my spring re-tensioned, and a new olive drab finish. Not sure the name of the finish, but it's a very tough matt ceramic coating. first time i've ever stepped away from blueing, but a I really like it. The whole job ran me $220, the fella sure knows his way around a savage 99, very good work.

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
Don't get much time to do much of anything anymore, aside from work, but I did manage to run a few dozen rounds through my 358/savage 99 at 300 yds through constant 30 mph crosswinds. It's my extended range load for my upcoming sheep hunt. All groups were fired over a hunting pack with a 2-7 power scope. I managed a constant six inch group. The ballistic-plex recticle was spot on. The wind drift was minimal. It was great to see how that 200 grain accubond did in the real-world wind conditions from field positions.