S&W 329 Scandium Airlite 44 Mag

Water_Gremlin

Reaction score
Get back home on friday and will hopefully know more then. Wife did say she got a letter from S&W stateing they recieved my gon and it would be about 3 weeks untill repaired and back to me but nothing more specific and I havent had time to call them with being busy and working nights. Sounds like its something more than tightening a screw though. Will post more later. I did have to switch brands of ammo around in 300 grain till I found one that didnt jump crimp though.

I sent my 329PD to S&W for a repair and they said the turn around time would be 3 weeks as well. I received my gun back in 7 days. I'm not saying that will happen for you, but there's a possibility.

tananaBrian

Reaction score
Get back home on friday and will hopefully know more then. Wife did say she got a letter from S&W stateing they recieved my gon and it would be about 3 weeks untill repaired and back to me but nothing more specific and I havent had time to call them with being busy and working nights. Sounds like its something more than tightening a screw though. Will post more later. I did have to switch brands of ammo around in 300 grain till I found one that didnt jump crimp though.

For your carry ammo, you should do a worst-case test on the ammo versus jumping crimp. Mark the base of one round with a Sharpie to identify it, then shoot 8 to 10 rounds out of the other holes while leaving the marked round in the cylinder and unfired throughout. Measure it's overall length before and after, and inspect it with a magnifying glass. I've had to increase the crimp on my own reloads after testing like this. Movement of only a thousandth or three is OK unless the bullet protrudes from the cylinder as a result or the crimp hit the bottom of the cannelure and started to 'uncrimp' or relax or looks like it's very close to jumping out (hence the magnifying glass ...compare a new round to the test round.)

Brian

SunRiverMan

Reaction score
I own both the 329PD and 357PD in .41 mag. I prefer the .41 mag, but the .44 mag is manageable. I do have custom wood grips and for some reason they feel better to me. This is not the factory wood that came with the revolvers. In a wet environment the rubber may be better.

The 329PD hurts my wrist after a box of ammo. I use the Buffalo Bore Lower Recoil 44 Magnum ammunition. I carry with a cross draw holster because it is usually a backup for my rifle. Bears are starting to come in when they here gunshots around here.

Other than that, they both are great revolvers IMHO. SRM out!

cwoods

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.... Very helpfull as usual. And yes W.Gremlin S&W is quite prompt, wife told me today she missed the delivery from UPS so will get tomorrow. Hopefully package has an explanation included.

Water_Gremlin

Reaction score
:D

Hopefully your 329PD doesn't shoot as crooked as mine after the factory fix. :D

That's a joke for the rest of yah. HA!?

cwoods

Reaction score
Only thing the reply letter w/the gun said was "trigger work performed". Will call mon. and get specifics.

tvfinak

Reaction score
S&W 329 Problem

S&W 329 Problem

I finally got the pins yesterday from S&W to replace the one that fell out of the barrel lug- this is the pin that retains the spring and plunger that locks the ejector rod into the barrel lug.

Pins are much too small to even begin to be retained in the hole. I suspect the hole was drilled over-sized and not picked up in assembly. I got it to stay in place by bending the heck out of it but I don't hink it will stay in place long term.

I'll call S&W back and see what they advise now. Simplist fix is to use an oversized pin but I don't think I should have to come up with my own fix to repair a $900 gun that has only been fired a box of shellls.

I note the the Mdl. 357? - the version of the 329 in .41 magnum - is no longer lsited in the catalog. I spotted a new one for $700 - might be worth picking it up before someone else does.

cavokak

Reaction score
Packmayr vs. Hogue Grip for 329

Packmayr vs. Hogue Grip for 329

I just picked up a 329 and I love it... spent a few days at the range and I'm very happy with the gun. No sweat with the specials and a little uncomfortable with the mag, but I definitely want to upgrade the grip for the bigger loads. Are there any opinions (sort of a stupid question) on which grip to go with? I've never shot with Packmayr before, so all I know is the Hogue grip on the .500 that I've shot. Anyone.... anyone... which should I get?

Matt

travelers

Reaction score
I just picked up a 329 and I love it... spent a few days at the range and I'm very happy with the gun. No sweat with the specials and a little uncomfortable with the mag, but I definitely want to upgrade the grip for the bigger loads. Are there any opinions (sort of a stupid question) on which grip to go with? I've never shot with Packmayr before, so all I know is the Hogue grip on the .500 that I've shot. Anyone.... anyone... which should I get?

Matt

Get the Hogue grips off of a S&W 500. You can order them from the S&W website.
They fit my hands anyway. The Packmayrs feel to narrow to me.

Mike Adams

Reaction score
I agree with the .500 grips from S&W. They really tame the gun, and fit well.

cavokak

Reaction score
Awesome Hogue Grips

Awesome Hogue Grips

Thanks to all who put out the information on the 329. I put the Hogue .500 grip on it and WOW... what a difference. I just put 50 rounds of specials and 50 rounds of mag through it and it was very comfortable. I am exceedingly happy with the super-lite concept. It's a gun I will carry and shoot. This forum has been great for a handgun owner novice trying to navigate the murky waters of what, when, and how it carry in AK. Thanks again to everyone for their expertise... or at least for their strongly held opinions!

6XLeech

Reaction score
Hiker, re: your post awhile back (quoted below) - just wonder if the Hornadays were sticking after firing .44 Specials? Some of the issues that pop up around .44Mag and 329PD threads arise from differences in casing length. As gunsmiths, Andy Hawk explained to me, the shorter .44 Special brass will leave a residue collar that can make longer cartridge cases (like .44Mag) stick when extracting; another reason to keep the chambers clean.

The other (unrelated) issue as I understand it, is that some +P ammo is longer, and so, won't fit into S&W's. Most agree Ruger makes a stronger-built gun, but S&W factory rep confirmed S&W's will shoot any ammo that meets SAAMI specs. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on various ammo for this pistol.

Follow Up Post: I felt no substantial difference between the Buffalo Bore 255 low recoil round and the Hornaday 240 gr magnum round. I would not recommend using the Hornaday in the 329, after a six round cycle the brass was sticky in the cylinder and one round in my box of 20 was poorly crimped, slightly bent, so it would not even insert into any of the chambers on the cylinder.

hiker

Reaction score
Hiker, re: your post awhile back (quoted below) - just wonder if the Hornadays were sticking after firing .44 Specials? Some of the issues that pop up around .44Mag and 329PD threads arise from differences in casing length. As gunsmiths, Andy Hawk explained to me, the shorter .44 Special brass will leave a residue collar that can make longer cartridge cases (like .44Mag) stick when extracting; another reason to keep the chambers clean. .

6XLeech,
It was after about half of box (25 rounds) of 44 special. I have not had this same problem with other 44 mag rounds. I clean mine after every trip to the range, although following others suggestion I have started bringing the brush to the range for a quick sweep between specials and magnum rounds. I am still shooting with the factory rubber grips but am very tempted to upgrade. If I did upgrade, I would probably practice a little more with the magnum rounds. However, I am still a novice at shooting and although I consistently hit my 6" paper plate targets at 20 yards, I am not yet carving out holes like I would like. Practice, practice, practice.

-Hiker

mauserboy

Reaction score
more weight

more weight

Personally, I prefer a handgun with some weight to it. I never had a problem carrying a SBH or SRH in a holster and the extra weight makes for a steadier hold and more control for follow-up shots, which hasn't been mentioned. Guess everybody only expects one shot or 5 or 6 bangbangbangbangbangs hoping that one or two will connect properly. This lightweight for heavy caliber hasn't been forwarded that much except the last several years. Guess people are getting scrawnier as time gos on.