Russian River opener

fishNphysician

Reaction score
Gonna be lights out.

Gillnetters have seen 'em rolling on the beach.

ADFG tidewater test net has already caught 5 times the historic average.

A few intrepid folks have taken limits in the lower Kenai.

God only knows how many are already stacked in the sanctuary.

slimm

Reaction score
"God only knows how many are already stacked in the sanctuary."

The Kondike Kid reports 3000 between the falls and the ferry cable, he has a pretty good write up over there.

ADFG biologists have performed two "walk throughs" this week to survey the entire Russian River and the Confluence to the Ferry Crossing to gauge how many fish are already present in the system at this time. Both surveys matched with similar numbers. There are about 500 reds stacked up at Falls in the No Fishing Zone upstream of the ADFG Marker. From the ADFG Marker downstream to the Ferry cable there are approximately 3000 reds holding. Some holes have as many as 200+ sockeye resting up before heading further upstream.

Fin Chaser

Reaction score
Sounds like the makings for a great opener. I'm flying out on business tomorrow morning and won't be back until Friday. First time in at least ten years that I'll miss the midnight opener. Best wishes to all who make it. Looks like you'll have a great time.

Scott

Fin Chaser

Reaction score
I haven't looked at any historical data yet, but what are the thoughts about these early numbers. Does this indicate a larger run or just an early run? Or both?

Scott

AkReaper

Reaction score
Like 20 minutes after I posted this my brother saw the report. I will be there Wednesday morning for the first time fishing there. The wife and kids are coming also. It's gonna be a blast!

Cheech907

Reaction score
With the Russian River opening, does that mean u can fish the confluence? i cant find anywhere that shows exactly what parts of the river are open. Thanks!

Fin Chaser

Reaction score
Page 51 of the regs. Sanctuary doesn't open until July 15, unless they open it early via emergency order. Good luck out there. Have fun.

Scott

AZinAK

Reaction score
So what's the normal process for fishing the Russian above the sanctuary? A Russian River fly with weights to allow a controlled drag on the bottom? Was thinking of trying the circle hook setup that Doc talks about. If you're willing to give pointers on good places to try for the opener, feel free to PM me. I'll be down there for the first time with my brother in-law. I'll have my Kuiu ball cap in Vias. If you see me, say hi! It should be fun.

AZinAK

Fin Chaser

Reaction score
Circle hook is legal as long as the gap is 3/8" or less. A 1/0 nautilus circle is 3/8" on the money. Rig up as doc suggests in those other posts and you'll love it. I switched over to this method two years ago and the results were amazing.

Scott

Reaction score
Walked the Russian the other day. Fish every where in all the holes and large groups in the flats. The falls was fully loaded. Floated the sanctuary down to Jim's. A solid line of fish from the mouth of the Russian to the ferry. The solid line continued down to the high bank with a few openings on the high bank. At the bottom of the high bank the line thickened to the eddy river left which was loaded. The line continued from their around the guard rail hole. The Power Line back channel was loaded from top to bottom. All the holes below that were stacked. Hit most of the back channels going down and they were all full as well. On the Lower limits in certain areas were common for the past 7 days and multiple hook ups. Folks fishing Centennial experienced good action. A few fishing Big Eddy were getting into fish as well as down by River Bend Lodge. Have not seen this much fish since 2006. Fish rolling all over the place on the lower sections. Promising!

SalmonSlut

Reaction score
im regret not taking tomorrow off work.. hope the fishing is still good this weekend. i'll be hiking upriver to test out my 8wt.

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
I've not seen this many sockeye this early in many many years.
Camp is set. Just counting down to midnight.
D7B7E651-0276-47FA-A656-F6BBD759432E_zpspnzjvmf4.jpg

D14404D1-33B3-4A7C-A99E-9806F1B4FEFE_zpsi92p8aua.jpg

fishNphysician

Reaction score
Only an hour to go before some serious whackin' and stackin'.

Expect an EO announcement within the next 48 hours to open the sanctuary .

EO to 6 reds a day soon thereafter.

Count on it….

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Agonized over it for a few days, but we decided to skip what is likely to be the best opener in recent memory to take our kids to chase grayling instead. Our annual family grayling trip is important to us, and this might be our best chance to do it in an otherwise busy summer. I'll miss being there on what is usually a holiday for me, but I'll have my flyrod in hand chasing sockeyes and rainbows on Sunday through Tuesday instead. Such terrible choices that we Alaskans are forced to make. :D

To all those counting down the last 32 minutes, enjoy!!!

Garyak

Reaction score
Only an hour to go before some serious whackin' and stackin'.

Expect an EO announcement within the next 48 hours to open the sanctuary .

EO to 6 reds a day soon thereafter.

Count on it….

Hope you'll share any EO info as it becomes available. If you have a link to that info I'd be make sure to copy/save it for future reference!! Thanks.

Latest posts