Russian is Plug Full

Doug from Anchorage

Reaction score
Went down to the Russian last night and hiked back to the 600yd line below the falls. Hooked up almost every cast. My daughter & I caught our limits in less than 20 min. The fish were huge (7-10 lbs) for 1st run. I've never seen it so thick with fish before. Anyway, I'm planning to bomb down ther again soon.

Tightlines & Godspeed

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Reds

Reds

Now you've done it, guess i'm going to have to go down there and see for myself!

Alaska Gray

Reaction score
Caught tons of Fish last night. It was way to easy. I did hear a gun shot come from the sauntry area. ALso there was more people down there at midnight then I have seen before.

Marcus

Reaction score
This just in from ADF&G:

"Anglers fishing for Russian River red salmon have reported excellent to “as good as it gets” success, with many anglers catching their limits in less than one hour. Anglers who fillet their fish in the Russian River area are asked to chop up the carcasses into small pieces and toss the small pieces into fast moving currents. Chopping up carcasses into small pieces will likely help reduce the tendency of the carcasses to accumulate in piles and eventually become bear attractants. Please remember to “Stop, Chop, and Throw” your carcass pieces into fast moving currents."

George E. Pappas
Area Management Biologist
Northern Kenai Peninsula Management Area
Division of Sport Fish
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
(907) 260-2920 Fax: 262-4709
43961 K-Beach Road, Suite B
Soldotna, Alaska 99669

Hubb

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks

Now I'll have to join you guys starting...Oh..tonight!
This will be the first chance I've had to wet a line this year.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Took 3 first-time anglers down yesterday. It was a bit of a fiasco for the first hour or two - getting bottom snags loose, helping tie hooks on the line, etc., but they eventually got into them. Lots and lots of fish - good time to take someone to get them hooked on fishing. Take them way upstream, though, as that'll help you find some elbow room.

-Brian

NORTH2AK

Reaction score
Just got back from the Russian! There is a ton of fish in the river but everyone and their dog know's about it! We got down there Thursday about 8PM and the parking wait was 1 hr, this morning at 9am it was about an hour and 15 minutes. When we left this afternoon at 6pm the line was out to the main road!!!

wildog

Reaction score
Middle of the night was full too...

Middle of the night was full too...

Alaska Gray said:
That is why I love to head out in the middle of the night. No lines or to many people.

Last night we went to the Russian, my first time actually fishing it. I usually stop in the drift boat and just watch the amazing spectacle, but don't dare try to fish. We arrived at 11:45 p.m. to fish all night, but all parking lots were full. We waited two hours in the line from the road for a space in the pink salmon lot. Even though it was that full I still caught fish after fish, amazing. I now see why so many people go there. Everyone I ran into was nice and considerate too. I netted fish for people, people helped each other and got out of the way. The fish were in good shape. It was a great experience.

Doug from Anchorage

Reaction score
Saturday Nite

Saturday Nite

Biked into the falls again Satuday nite (midnight). Me and my brother in law were totally alone......for about 20 minutes. I gotta tell you, that 20 minutes (which by the way we both got our limits) was the most magical experience ever! Alone, in the Russian River during the peak run. Man, it just doesn't get any better than that.

It got pretty dark though. It's hard to fillet when you can't see very well.

NORTH2AK

Reaction score
Bear

Bear

Has anyone heard what happened with the bear? I heard someone shot the brown that was hanging around the lower portion of the river?

Tomcat

Reaction score
Stayed at the campground for three days last week and had a blast. I'm thinking about returning on daytrip soon, but am a little worried about the potentially long wait to get a parking space. Does the registration shack operate 24/7? Thanks.

gokorn1

Reaction score
spent the 24th-27th only caught 2 fish. must be something more than throwing flys out there. really pissed

wildog

Reaction score
4 Days And 2 Fish?

4 Days And 2 Fish?

You Are Kidding. Four Days And Two Fish On The Russian? Were Other People Catching Them? Were You Hooking And Losing Them? Did You Have A Hook On? Sorry, Just Never Heard Of That. I'd Be Pissed Too, That's Too Bad. Hopefully You Got To See The Bears.

AKArcher

Reaction score
Really???

Really???

gokorn1 said:
spent the 24th-27th only caught 2 fish. must be something more than throwing flys out there. really pissed

Pissed about fishing for 4 days and not limiting out? Man I wish I could go fish the Russian for 4 days , limiting out or not.

gokorn1

Reaction score
well i guess i should just be happy that i was out of the house. But i had promised fish to people. we landed two and maybe 3 or 4 were got off but that was it didn't get much action.

Latest posts